AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Both Fathom V1 JLs blown...Now what? part 2 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45485)

Gravity1 04-01-2019 01:05 PM

Both Fathom V1 JLs blown...Now what? part 2

A little strange I have to repost this ...but let's move on as I thought the information might be useful. First an apology for all who were damaged by my offending avatar :no:

So recently I had both of my Fathom F112 V1s blow within a week of each other. With both incidents they just stopped working and emitted that horrifying electronic smoke we all fear. I took them into a great local shop and they told me they both need new amps and drivers. I had wrote them off as the world's largest paper weights but got the quote to replace both amps, drivers and new firmware for $1400 including the roundtrip shipping.

Now I'm just deciding if it's worth putting another $1400 into them and risking the similar incident in the future or write them off and start new with a V2 or another name entirely. The shop recommended I try the S series REL subs if I don't do the repair. I actually started this thread in the first place for some recommendations / advice on brands at similar price levels that people have had great experiences with but ended up being chastised for my 3 year old Avatar and then having the post and avatar deleted. Hopefully this time around is a little more productive.

crwilli 04-01-2019 01:22 PM

IMHO, $1400 for TWO refurbished Fathoms is the cheapest option.

I don’t know what they are worth on the used market but you could probably sell them for more than the cost of the repair.

Or you could just use them.

Gravity1 04-01-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 959472)
IMHO, $1400 for TWO refurbished Fathoms is the cheapest option.

I don’t know what they are worth on the used market but you could probably sell them for more than the cost of the repair.

Or you could just use them.

Yes, that seems like a deal to me and hopefully they will be a bit more stable with brand new components. I'm leaning towards that option. thx

W9TR 04-01-2019 01:34 PM

There is a known issue with failing power supply capacitors in these units. There is a thread on the forum started by jdandy on his repair procedure. If you are handy with a soldering iron or have a tech who is, you might save some green.
Tom

Gravity1 04-01-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 959476)
There is a known issue with failing power supply capacitors in these units. There is a thread on the forum started by jdandy on his repair procedure. If you are handy with a soldering iron or have a tech who is, you might save some green.
Tom

Thanks for the tip, but I'm definitely not the one to be slinging the soldering iron :) I ordered the repair and hopefully will get some good time out of them.

Gravity1 04-01-2019 03:05 PM

One other thing... I was told by the shop that is is often better to stack the two F112s then to have them separated. I assume this is very space dependent but had not heard that before and might try it when they come back.

crwilli 04-01-2019 04:04 PM

I would replace ‘often’ with ‘might be’. I can’t give you the exact reason but it has to do with each subwoofer having a different environment and therefore will excite different frequencies in the room. Together they may smooth each out.

Having said that, I wouldn’t really want to stack one Fathom on top of the other for cosmetic reasons and damage prevention. If you have the room, moving two around in different locations achieves the same result.

Or be like Ivan and use two F212s!!

Gravity1 04-01-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 959505)
I would replace ‘often’ with ‘might be’. I can’t give you the exact reason but it has to do with each subwoofer having a different environment and therefore will excite different frequencies in the room. Together they may smooth each out.

Having said that, I wouldn’t really want to stack one Fathom on top of the other for cosmetic reasons and damage prevention. If you have the room, moving two around in different locations achieves the same result.

Or be like Ivan and use two F212s!!

Appreciate the info thx. Two F212s would be epic!

Cohibaman 04-01-2019 06:14 PM

Both Fathom V1 JLs blown...Now what? part 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravity1 (Post 959538)
Appreciate the info thx. Two F212s would be epic!

Bet I know a guy that can help. ;)

Robc33 04-01-2019 06:35 PM

The last time I talked to JL Audio, they were offering a $300 flat rate repair, included was shipping back to you. You just needed to pay for shipping to Fla. I would e-mail JL directly.