AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Watt puppy 5 or 7 compared to Sophia (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47730)

sandbites 03-11-2020 11:21 PM

Watt puppy 5 or 7 compared to Sophia

Seeking advise.

I auditioned the watt puppy 3/2 and was enamored by it. I am about to buy the watt puppy 3/2 but the age is holding me back.
Turns out my budget allows me to get a watt puppy 5 or 7 or a sophia.
Question 1: As i am enamored by the 3/2's soundstage, presence and willfull base, will i be disappointed with the sophia?
Question 2:Should i just get the watt puppy 7?
I have these choices because in the pre-owned market they are within my budget's reach.
Question 3: is the watt puppy 3/2 too old for now? How about the watt puppy 5? Should i settle for at least the 7?

jpgr4blu 03-11-2020 11:50 PM

To me, the biggest leap ever made by Wilson in the WP Series was:
WP6 to WP7
A close second was WP8 to Sasha.

I purchased the Sophia 1 (which I preferred over the WP6 solely on the basis of tonality and texture) much to my dealer's chagrin at the time.
But when I heard the WP7 a few years later, I felt that it combined the power, transparency and wide, deep soundstage of the WP6 with the tonality and texture of the Sophia. I purchased the WP7 and, frankly, could have lived with it forever.
Hope that answers your question.

GSOphile 03-12-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgr4blu (Post 998088)
To me, the biggest leap ever made by Wilson in the WP Series was:
WP6 to WP7
A close second was WP8 to Sasha.

I purchased the Sophia 1 (which I preferred over the WP6 solely on the basis of tonality and texture) much to my dealer's chagrin at the time.
But when I heard the WP7 a few years later, I felt that it combined the power, transparency and wide, deep soundstage of the WP6 with the tonality and texture of the Sophia. I purchased the WP7 and, frankly, could have lived with it forever.
Hope that answers your question.

+1 assuming your room and amp can support the 7. The Sophias are more amp friendly and may mate better with a smaller room.

Formerly YB-2 03-12-2020 04:25 PM

Listened to WP5 extensively (well.......... as long I could) and found them to be too 'bright' for my long-term pleasure. Much preferred my CUB II's. A few years later did the same with WP8 and found them much better, though with McIntosh solid-state amplification rather than ?? (I'll think of it eventually). Also listened to the Sophia I and it was better than the WP8 to me. Sophia II & III are supposed to a step up from the I (though I've only heard in passing). There are some great deals on factory certified IIs & IIIs at the moment.

Edit: They amps I could not recall were Theta.

jpgr4blu 03-12-2020 10:53 PM

FYI, the WP8 was by most accounts (including mine) the first WP that was worse than the WP before it, the WP7. I agree that the Sophias were better than the WP8.
I drove my Sophias with a 100 WPC tube amp (McIntosh Mc2102). Then I purchased the WP7 and initially continued with the Mac and later used a 110 WPC tube amp (ARC Ref 110). Both drove the WP7s well in my room. My room size is 20x16 with a 9' ceiling.

sandbites 02-27-2021 09:36 PM

I cannot seem to find WPs in the market so considering the sophia 1 or 2. I heard the WP3/2 and was impressed by the "bigness" in sound. It was not loudness but the speaker sounded big.

Will the Sophia 1 or 2 give that same presence, bigness as opposed to the WP3/2 considering it has only one woofer while the WP has two woofers?

metaphacts 02-28-2021 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandbites (Post 1033691)
I cannot seem to find WPs in the market so considering the sophia 1 or 2. I heard the WP3/2 and was impressed by the "bigness" in sound. It was not loudness but the speaker sounded big.

Will the Sophia 1 or 2 give that same presence, bigness as opposed to the WP3/2 considering it has only one woofer while the WP has two woofers?

You might want to call around to Wilson Authorized Dealers and ask if they have any Certified Authentic Watt/Puppies available. There seems to be quite a bit of refurbishment and resale going on over the past 18 months or so. Some dealers are moving them so quickly that an ad for them never appears. They sell them to their local client base.

Certified Authentic Watt Puppies regardless of vintage offer a 2 year Wilson Audio Factory Warranty when installed by the dealer and a 1 year Warranty even if not installed.

Good Luck in your search

RH67 02-28-2021 02:45 AM

I came back to Wilson after a 20yr. absence. I bought a nice pair of Watt Puppy 5.1`s and i could not be happier. In the last ten years i have owned Magico, DeVore and Audio Note speakers and the Watt Puppy 5.1 to me sound better than another speaker i have owned during the last 20yrs. I have a Pass XA25 and it`s a perfect match with the Watt Puppies.

sandbites 02-28-2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 1033716)
You might want to call around to Wilson Authorized Dealers and ask if they have any Certified Authentic Watt/Puppies available. There seems to be quite a bit of refurbishment and resale going on over the past 18 months or so. Some dealers are moving them so quickly that an ad for them never appears. They sell them to their local client base.

Certified Authentic Watt Puppies regardless of vintage offer a 2 year Wilson Audio Factory Warranty when installed by the dealer and a 1 year Warranty even if not installed.

Good Luck in your search

Thank you for the tip on doing a round of the dealers

45shooter 06-22-2022 07:39 PM

Hmmmm...... maybe wilson is for me. Seems like u will nevr have a prob resellng them down the road