AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Parallel speaker connection to a subwoofer (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47194)

Projectman 12-05-2019 08:41 PM

Parallel speaker connection to a subwoofer

My Devialet Expert Pro 140 has no preamp or subwoofer output. My one sub only has RCA or Balanced inputs. The other sub has RCA and speaker connections.

I emailed Devialet and this was their response:

“Connecting a subwoofer is always possible in parallel of the front speakers
All subwoofer feature a "high level" input”

Does anyone see impedance issues or other problems with connecting two pairs of speaker wires to an Expert Pro 140 or any integrated? Basically one speaker pair goes to the sub and the other pair goes to my Focal speakers.

Thoughts please.

Kal Rubinson 12-05-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Projectman (Post 988062)
Does anyone see impedance issues or other problems with connecting two pairs of speaker wires to an Expert Pro 140 or any integrated? Basically one speaker pair goes to the sub and the other pair goes to my Focal speakers.

Are they powered subwoofers? If not, using shared speaker-level connections will certainly be a compromise since the loads will be similar and affect each other. If, however, the sub is self-powered, the impedance effect will be substantially less and the sub will not steal any substantial power from the main speaker.

The remaining issue is that you will have few, if any, tools to integrate the main speakers with the subs.

Projectman 12-06-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson (Post 988064)
Are they powered subwoofers? If not, using shared speaker-level connections will certainly be a compromise since the loads will be similar and affect each other. If, however, the sub is self-powered, the impedance effect will be substantially less and the sub will not steal any substantial power from the main speaker.

The remaining issue is that you will have few, if any, tools to integrate the main speakers with the subs.

Thanks Kal!

The subwoofer is powered and the integrated has no sub or pre out.

I would prefer to use my JL Audio F112, but it only has inputs, not speaker terminals. I have an ELAC SUB3070 I will use with it's speaker inputs. The Devialet integrated has high/low pass filters and I will keep them off and use the Subwoofer to do the filtering. Does that make sense?

Kal Rubinson 12-06-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Projectman (Post 988123)
Thanks Kal!

The subwoofer is powered and the integrated has no sub or pre out.

I would prefer to use my JL Audio F112, but it only has inputs, not speaker terminals. I have an ELAC SUB3070 I will use with it's speaker inputs. The Devialet integrated has high/low pass filters and I will keep them off and use the Subwoofer to do the filtering. Does that make sense?

Not entirely. This means that one of your main speakers will attempt to duplicate the LF that the sub is handling and that the sub will not be getting any LF from the other channel. You need a better solution.