AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Bricasti Design (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Upcoming Model 21 Platinum Series DAC (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43263)

GreenMtnGringo 06-27-2018 11:53 AM

Upcoming Model 21 Platinum Series DAC

Bricasti has announced the upcoming M21 Platinum Series DAC. It looks like it will be available in silver and black finishes.

Does anyone have detailed info as to how the M21 improves upon the M1[SE] DAC?

Thanks.

rnrmf1971 06-27-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenMtnGringo (Post 920573)
Bricasti has announced the upcoming M21 Platinum Series DAC. It looks like it will be available in silver and black finishes.

Does anyone have detailed info as to how the M21 improves upon the M1[SE] DAC?

Thanks.

It seems fairly significant that it has 3 independent D/A paths that the user can select. It also has a built in streamer.

audio bill 06-27-2018 06:46 PM

Any idea on its price? TIA

GreenMtnGringo 06-27-2018 08:42 PM

Reportedly $19K USD.

GW1800 01-14-2019 12:32 PM

Does anyone have one of these and possibly can compare it to a M12 or M1SE? I have a M12 (after having a M1SE for awhile)just wondering what the real difference is sonically? I know there is an additional PCM mode (not sure why one would use one over another) and a different volume control from the M12 or M1 for that matter. The M12 can only drive amps direct (in my case M28's) which is what I do however apparently for those with a pre-amp it also works with that - as the M1 will also. I also hear there are somewhat better components in the M21 not sure what or how many or what is better because of them.

GW1800 02-18-2019 12:32 PM

So I got a hold of a M21 to demo to compare directly to my M12. Was able to swap out from one to the other in like 2-3 minutes. Not exactly a A/B compare but as close as I could get.

Differences of the M21 over the M12:

1. The sound was just more "there". It was similar to adjusting to "fine" from "wide". The sound is "cleaned" and more focused. Its been awhile but if I remember right this was a very similar experience of when I moved from the M1SE to the M12.

2. To me the impacts seem more pronounced. Drums, cymbals etc. just seem to impact faster.

3. The sound stage did not seem to change but everything seems a bit higher then before.

PCM and DSD showed the same improvements of 1-3 above.

Also a couple of notes: There is not an adjustment for "Fine" or "Wide" as in the past "Fine" is just standard. I always like the "Fine" better anyways.

As far was the "SIG" or "LAD" option for PCM I like the "SIG" mode the best it's the original one so I guess it makes sense that I would.

Bottom line a very nice upgrade in my opinion.

JBT 02-18-2019 07:24 PM

Model 21 Digital to Analog Converter
The M21 Platinum Series is the trifecta of digital to analog conversion. Three independent and user-selectable digital to analog signal paths are available: delta sigma and ladder dac for PCM conversion and for DSD playback, true direct DSD. All digital input types are supported, with direct output or hard-wire bypass of the analog attenuator.