AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   SilenZio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   Silenzio Questions... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41433)

Jayr 12-07-2017 08:15 PM

Silenzio Questions...

Hi All,

I have a few questions about the Silenzio music server. I would like to get comments on whether the Silenzio is the right product for me given my requirements.

I have dabbled in computer is the last few years and currently am using an Acer laptop to stream Tidal/Spotify to my Devialet amp. Even though I like the SQ of Tidal, I just do not like it’s search engine and user interface. There are a bunch of albums that I cannot find on Tidal. We have been using Spotify for many years and our entire family has their own playlists and familiar with Spotify UI. At this point, I would like to upgrade to a music server with storage/ripper. I have about a 500 disc collection that I would like to rip into a music server.

Here are my requirements

- Optimized music server
- storage 1 or 2 TB
- ripper
- Roon/Tidal support
- Spotify support
- DSD (Devialet handles DOP DSD64 I think)
- USB out
- Remote app

Would the Silenzio music server do all this? From what I have read on this site, the only things I am unsure about are DOP DSD and Spotify.

Please advise.

Thanks
Jay

Masterlu 12-07-2017 08:35 PM

SilenZio will do all that and more! :ok:

-E- 12-07-2017 08:55 PM

I was a bit skeptical about Spotify integration, but the app (at least on Android) and their Windows App work fairly seamlessly - you just have to be careful not to start something in JRiver/Roon while using Spotify, and also be mindful to stop whatever app is playing back if you switch to another.

Jayr 12-07-2017 09:06 PM

So, for using Spotify, you use spotify’s iOS app to control playback from the Silenzio? Is Spotify integrated into the JRiver UI? Can Spotify playlists be integrated into JRiver playlists?

I guess I need to look at what the JRiver UI looks like.

Thanks,
Jay

-E- 12-07-2017 09:18 PM

Spotify has their own UI, they really don't like to play well with others. They even rejected Roon.

So your Silenzio would be set to run the main apps (JRiver or Roon, and then Spotify) and just remember to stop playback in one before you go to another via the remote apps (JRemote for JRiver, and the iOS versions of Roon and Spotify).

kaarmstrong 12-07-2017 11:26 PM

Jay,
I can't speak for using Spotify with the Silenzio since I have Tidal but my experience using Jremote with the Silenzio has been very good. It is quite fast and works well. It is the most reliable system I have used among the 3 I have owned. Oh and most importantly it sounds very good. Plus if you do have a problem, E provides impeccable customer service. He is just a call, text or email away.

Jayr 12-08-2017 03:41 PM

Kaarmstrong,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Silenzio.

Just yesterday I was using Roon/Tidal on my laptop. SQ is awesome but confirmed that the Tidal search engine truly sucks even though Roon/Tidal integration is very good. For example, “discovering” jazz comes up with some 10 artists and clicking on “All Artists” just comes up with 2. What’s up with that? Same with albums playlists etc..

With Silenzio, how does Spotify work? Does the desktop app run all the time and I can connect to it using the iOS app for remote? What happens when I need to switch to Roon? If I understand Mr. E, I need to shut down Spotify and then start Roon. How do you do this? Is there a dedicated iOS app to control the Silenzio?

This is what is confusing for me. I apologize if these are silly questions but I am trying to understand my usage of a music server like Silenzio.

Thanks
Jay

-E- 12-08-2017 07:36 PM

The core apps on Silenzio are still "running" but only one initiates playback at any given time (from your own finger on your iOS device), thus allowing Exclusive Mode over your USB Sound Device (like your Devialet). You'd simply stop playback on one then start playback on another via the remote app (Spotify iOS or JRemote or Roon iOS, depending on your flavor of choice).

And yes, there are several ways to control Silenzio as if you were directly looking at the desktop. You'd use this during the ripping and whatever support would be required.