AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   SilenZio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   SilenZio #1, 2, 3, 4 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=37138)

Masterlu 09-22-2016 09:42 PM

SilenZio #1, 2, 3, 4

I now have four SilenZio's running in my Cape Home. Each and every one performs flawlessly, fast and sounds amazing.

I admit, I had my reservations early on; they were all totally unfounded.

I consider myself a SilenZio power user, as I stream from them daily. My NAS stores all my music reliably, I have all my music ripped and add about 2-3 CD's a week.

E has a real Homerun with this machine; his service is stellar and always seems available for me. I know of no other music server that can do everything this does with aplomb.

My SilenZio #4 is in my latest TAD/Esoteric rig. I have two DAC's in that system, the Esoteric D02-X and AMR-DP777SE.

I can send different music, or a playlist to each DAC via USB at the same time for instant playback via my C02-X input knob. While at the same time be ripping a new CD in the same SilenZio; how's that for flexibility.

Or I can sync both DAC's together, so the same track can be heard for an instant A/B comparison of the two DAC's.

Again, my highest rating! :homer: :homer: :homer: :homer:

crwilli 09-22-2016 10:04 PM

My humble system, as compared to Ivan's reference systems, greatly benefits from my SilenZio. It is the foundational piece of my 100% digitally sourced system.

I am very satisfied with my purchase. I believe I was one of the early adopters and am glad I was.

tutomac 09-22-2016 10:14 PM

I just bought one yesterday :banana:

crwilli 09-22-2016 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutomac (Post 804964)
I just bought one yesterday :banana:

Congratulations Hector! You will love it.

Randy Myers 09-22-2016 10:38 PM

Anyone have a photo of the back of the machine? How much storage does it have? Can an additional drive be installed within the unit. I prefer to have local storage. I am not a fan of streaming across Wi-Fi. Can it be used with Roon as a headless Roon server type setup and if so can a Surface be used as the control unit.

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to understand this unit and if it would be an improvement over using a PC as a music server. Keep in mind, not a standard PC but one that is fairly heavily modified and utilizes the same mother board that -E- uses in this unit.

Masterlu 09-22-2016 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Myers (Post 804968)
Anyone have a photo of the back of the machine? How much storage does it have? Can an additional drive be installed within the unit. I prefer to have local storage. I am not a fan of streaming across Wi-Fi. Can it be used with Roon as a headless Roon server type setup and if so can a Surface be used as the control unit.

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to understand this unit and if it would be an improvement over using a PC as a music server. Keep in mind, not a standard PC but one that is fairly heavily modified and utilizes the same mother board that -E- uses in this unit.

I have a photo of the back I'll post tomorrow. I'll let E answer all your other questions.

jdandy 09-23-2016 11:22 AM

Ivan.......Do the hard drives in your NAS power down when not accessing files, or do they all spin 24/7?

Randy Myers 09-23-2016 12:23 PM

For what it is worth Dan, I have a 4 TB NAS on my network. It is used mainly as a file share/backup device. I make sure that every file I have is saved both there and on a portable drive. I believe the drive in the NAS is always spinning. I do not recall ever not hearing the drives whirling away (not loud but definitely spinning).

-E- 09-23-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Myers (Post 804968)
  1. How much storage does it have?
  2. Can an additional drive be installed within the unit. I prefer to have local storage. I am not a fan of streaming across Wi-Fi.
  3. Can it be used with Roon as a headless Roon server type setup and if so can a Surface be used as the control unit.

1. 128gb.

2. If you want - sure. But it is much easier/better to scale by utilizing a NAS on your network.

3. Yes and yes.

-E- 09-23-2016 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 805036)
Ivan.......Do the hard drives in your NAS power down when not accessing files, or do they all spin 24/7?

There is a 1-hour hibernate. However, the end user can customize to hearts content.