AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   B&W Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Marantz or Mcintosh for 803D3 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45174)

Formerly YB-2 04-18-2020 11:38 AM

Christian - After more digging (outside the Marantz website), you are correct. My bad. Ken Ishakawa called it "analogue switched mode design..........". Quite deceptive to brag about 'purely analog........' IMHO.

rnrmf1971 04-18-2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1002377)
Christian - After more digging (outside the Marantz website), you are correct. My bad. Ken Ishakawa called it "analogue switched mode design..........". Quite deceptive to brag about 'purely analog........' IMHO.

Marantz certainly didn't go out of their way to say much more than it being a switched power supply, given how some audiophiles might not want to see the term class-D included in their amps.
I don't know whether this disqualifies the amp as being analog, though.

In the absence of another amp to compare to, I'm happy with the sound of mine though I'd eventually like to demo something else in the same system just to see what differences I could discern.

vwpeacecar 02-03-2023 03:06 AM

PM10 bi-amp mode

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver (Post 954316)
I had a pair of PM-10s bi-amping my 805D2s and D3s. I thought it was a lovely setup even though the room could have used some work.

I briefly used a single PM-10 on my 800D3s. I have read several articles and seen B&Ws in house with Marantz and the development of the reference product.

I LOVE the build quality of the Marantz reference gear. The PM-10 and SA-10 is gorgeous. the SA-10 is a TANK!

I recently have switched over to an all Mac system and the added power and "Mac Sound" have been welcomed.

While I really enjoyed the PM-10, I am not sure I am sold on class D. I have nothing negative to say about the PM-10. I put the fit and finish right up there with the best of them IMO, even surpassing Mac.

Now the SA-10. That is a special piece!

Sound wise, I am happy to be on a new journey with McIntosh even though I have no experience with the 8900. If I was considering the 8900, I don't know if I could stop there with the 803s. I would probably push/pull/drag whatever it took to get that 9000 ;)

I currently own a PM10, driving Q acoustics concept 500’s which can be bi-amped. I am absolutely happy with the pairing.
I’m on the fence about getting a second one. Can you please describe your experience from going from 1 to 2 pm10’s and perhaps what I may expect to see for results.

Masterlu 02-03-2023 10:56 PM

vwpeacecar… Welcome to AA! :wave:

tdelahanty 02-04-2023 10:29 AM

I looked at the description of the PM10 which is a bit confusing. It definitely says "all analog". A switching power supply for the output stage does not necessarily mean or require a Class D amplification. :scratch2:

Bachtoven 10-08-2023 11:18 AM

I drive my 803D3 speakers with a McIntosh MA 9000--sounds fantastic!

Doug Lax 11-14-2023 11:09 AM

I think Mac may be a better component but my old 802 matrix sound great bi amped with Marantz !

Formerly YB-2 11-14-2023 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdelahanty (Post 1071553)
I looked at the description of the PM10 which is a bit confusing. It definitely says "all analog". A switching power supply for the output stage does not necessarily mean or require a Class D amplification. :scratch2:

Very true. Some of the best vintage Sony amps (my TA-F6B integrated amp and the TA-N86B), among others, have PLPS (if memory serves on Sony's acronym) power supplies. Both are great sounding amps with analog output stages.