AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cary Audio Design (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Cary DMS-600, DMS-550, and DMS-500. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45342)

asindc 03-14-2019 12:15 PM

Cary DMS-600, DMS-550, and DMS-500.

I’m interested in feedback on the sound quality and functionality of these Cary network player/DACs, particularly when data is streamed directly to their Ethernet input from a Roon core server. It would be a bonus if you have compared any of the Cary network player/DACs used in this manner to any other network player/DACs (i.e., Esoteric N-1, Bricasti, Auralic Vega 2) used this way.

Timobi 03-20-2019 05:05 PM

Hello..I have owned the DMS-550 for almost a year.

I love it...Outstanding DAC-does MQA...the Roon stuff.

I've been pretty impressed with it.

asindc 03-21-2019 09:18 AM

Thanks. Before the 550 and 500, what DAC were you using?

Timobi 04-04-2019 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asindc (Post 958058)
Thanks. Before the 550 and 500, what DAC were you using?

I used a Sony HAP-Z1ES hd streamer/dac. Was very nice but the Cary audio is in another league.

asindc 04-05-2019 12:05 PM

Thanks. I'm seriously considering the DMS-600. It seems to check all my boxes.

oneofew 04-09-2019 02:35 PM

I've had my DMS-500 since late 2016, it was finicky at he begining, would loose connection to the network, had trouble reading certain audio formats, if I remember right, took couple of firmware updates.
No more issues.
I'm extremely happy with it now.

AVphile 06-26-2019 04:22 PM

Earlier this year, I spent a fair amount of time evaluating various music streamers. At the end, my two finalists were the Cary Audio DMS-600 and the Lumin T2. I finally purchased the T2 for two reasons: unnecessary functionality (such as the 600’s ability to serve as an external DAC and price, which was, in effect, the consequence of that incremental functionality. I don’t have buyer’s remorse, but I strongly recommend, if possible – it wasn’t in my case – to listen carefully to both units.

The T2 is very accurate/clinical, most likely because of its employment of the ESS/Sabre 9028 DAC. I suspect that the 600’s use of the AKM DAC results in a warmer and softer sound. I say that because I also have a Roon Nucleus+ which I have connected via a Shunyata HDMI cable directly to my Theta Casablanca IV preamplifier/DAC, and there is no question that the Roon/Theta combination sounds better with vocals, whereas the Lumin T2 excels at the reproduction of string instruments and orchestras.

I am pleased to have read that those who purchased the Cary Audio music streamers are happy with their purchases.

asindc 06-26-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVphile (Post 970408)
Earlier this year, I spent a fair amount of time evaluating various music streamers. At the end, my two finalists were the Cary Audio DMS-600 and the Lumin T2. I finally purchased the T2 for two reasons: unnecessary functionality (such as the 600’s ability to serve as an external DAC and price, which was, in effect, the consequence of that incremental functionality. I don’t have buyer’s remorse, but I strongly recommend, if possible – it wasn’t in my case – to listen carefully to both units.

The T2 is very accurate/clinical, most likely because of its employment of the ESS/Sabre 9028 DAC. I suspect that the 600’s use of the AKM DAC results in a warmer and softer sound. I say that because I also have a Roon Nucleus+ which I have connected via a Shunyata HDMI cable directly to my Theta Casablanca IV preamplifier/DAC, and there is no question that the Roon/Theta combination sounds better with vocals, whereas the Lumin T2 excels at the reproduction of string instruments and orchestras.

I am pleased to have read that those who purchased the Cary Audio music streamers are happy with their purchases.

Thanks for the detailed account. I am also considering the T2.

Pack66184 06-28-2019 06:20 AM

To AVphile-

I am considering the Cary product. Did you use the JRiver media center option with the DMS unit for playback?

AVphile 06-29-2019 02:32 PM

No, I chose the Lumin T2 due to its price, Lumin's greater experience in designing and building music streamer/DACs, and its employment of the ESS Sabre chips.

I purchased the Roon Nucleus+ core subsequently. Essentially, providing one uses the DACs inside the T2, there is no material difference in the sound between using the Lumin app to download a track from Tidal and using the Roon to pass that track along to the T2.

In my estimation, the T2's strength is also its weakness -- namely, its "sound" is in large part determined by the ESS Sabre 9028 DACs Lumin has used. They are exceedingly accurate in their decoding, which provides for a detailed sound; however, that focus on accuracy also results in the absence of the bloom present in analog and some competitive music streamer/DACs. Many people, myself included, like that bloom, and I confess I miss it. On the other hand, listening to a violin concerto, or a Yo-yo Ma concert streamed and converted through the T2 is amazing.

Like with many things, individual taste preferences are the most important consideration.

Pack66184 06-30-2019 10:06 AM

Thanks, I currently use a modified Mac Mini with J River, previously used an Aurender N10 and agree with your comments regarding the T2 describing the sound. Thank you for the reply.

Jim B 09-30-2019 01:17 AM

Any update?

Any update on your purchase?

I am thinking of getting the Cary 600, tomorrow.....

russellbobby 09-30-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim B (Post 981050)
Any update on your purchase?

I am thinking of getting the Cary 600, tomorrow.....

Hi Jim,
I have had a Cary 600 DMS going on 2 weeks. Great player and built like a tank. Good enough digital volume design that you probably will not need a pre. Running the Carry direct into Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks.
This replaced an Aurender A10 that I was running with a Microzotl 2.0s tube preamp.
I had a Lumin T2 for a bit. Very detailed, upfront and in my system would get fatiguing in a short time.I have Persona 5f speakers that match much better wih the AKM dacs than the Sabre's. Also had the Gold Note DS 10 which is good for 2500 it is not in the same league as the Cary.
The Cary is very laid back. Smooth yet detailed with big bass.
Their native app runs Tidal and Quboz perfectly. Cool to play local hi Rez files off SD cards. Roon ready
The color display is real nice and you can set it up with different themes and what info you like.
I have had players from Bryston,Auralic,Aurender, and the above mentioned and the Cary by far is the best of the bunch.
Great customer service as all emails are promptly replied to.
Very satisfied!!

Masterlu 09-30-2019 01:05 PM

russellbobby... Welcome to AA! :wave:

russellbobby 09-30-2019 02:15 PM

Thanks.. been around for awhile just don't post much.
The Cary DMS 600 doesn't get much chatter, but it a great piece.

LarsT 09-30-2019 02:33 PM

I bought a DMS-500 about a year and half ago. I enjoyed it a lot but listened to some bad advice and sold it too soon. Then last week I happened to come across a preloved one on the Cary site at a significant discount and bought it . Now I remember why I bought it the first time around. It’s just so much fun to listen to.
I definitely see a DMS-600 coming in the very near future. At that point, my Aurender N10 will go up for sale.

Timobi 10-03-2019 01:33 AM

Has anyone here heard a comparison between the DMS-500 and newer DMS-600?

I own the 500..and its pretty special. But I have that itch. :)

LarsT 11-16-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timobi (Post 981358)
Has anyone here heard a comparison between the DMS-500 and newer DMS-600?

I own the 500..and its pretty special. But I have that itch. :)

I just installed the DMS-600, and it is a huge improvement over the DMS-500. It has all the positive attributes of the 500 plus a whole lot more. The soundstage is larger and more focused, the level of detail has increased dramatically, but it did not lose any warmth. The highs are sweet and natural. Highly recommended! Scratch that itch!

kleinbje 11-27-2019 01:19 AM

I purchased a refurb DMS-500from Cary and have been thrilled, I can finally listen at high levels with detail and no pain. Great roon integration, I can stream hirez perfectly dsd/dvda wirelessly, using a mesh network. Unfortunately it shares the phillips IR codes of my name preamp, so a bit of a hassle
l.

Jeremy 06-19-2020 05:55 AM

Can i check with anyone is DMS 600 better than DMS 550 in term of sound quality and is it worth to spend the extra few thousand dollars ?

Delmac 07-17-2020 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy (Post 1007403)
Can i check with anyone is DMS 600 better than DMS 550 in term of sound quality and is it worth to spend the extra few thousand dollars ?

The DMS 600 is not only out of stock on the Cary site but in a phone call to them, when purchasing new amps a couple months ago it will no longer be made. So only option will be the DMS 550 or find a used 600

LarryMan 09-11-2020 02:15 AM

The official from Cary Audio confirmed that an upcoming DMS-700 model will replace the DMS-600. The new unit has many continous improvements over the DMS-600, but also with an increased price tag. I just received my DMS-550 and already looking forward to a purchase of the new DMS-700 ! :yes:

asindc 09-11-2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMan (Post 1014236)
The official from Cary Audio confirmed that an upcoming DMS-700 model will replace the DMS-600. The new unit has many continous improvements over the DMS-600, but also with an increased price tag. I just received my DMS-550 and already looking forward to a purchase of the new DMS-700 ! :yes:

Hmmm...

Masterlu 09-12-2020 12:06 AM

LarryMan... Welcome to AA! :wave:

LarryMan 09-12-2020 02:22 AM

Thank you Masterlu !

kleinbje 09-29-2020 12:56 AM

hopefully the 700 has a smaller footprint.

mike175gr 03-29-2021 11:53 PM

I have really been enjoying my DMS600. The sound is highly details and natural. It is an amazing match to my SLP-05. So happy with this unit!!!

Jeremy 05-29-2021 10:18 PM

Just got the DMS 700 and I am very please with the sound and build of the equipment.

Take some time to struggle to level the player and once done it's very easy to operate.

It's my first streamer which I purchased.

Rosswell 07-09-2021 08:05 AM

I want to share my recent experience with Cary Audio. I ordered DMS-550 when I was on sale. I received a delivery notification fromFedEx and had to stay to sign for it. Oddly there was no option to have it delivered to a FedEx drop off location. Then I realized the delivery was in a wrong city. Reaching an actual person at FedEx is a real pain but finally got a confirmation from FedEx customer support that it was indeed in a wrong city. In 30 years of mail/online ordering, I have never had an order shipped to a wrong city! Cary audio is closed from Thur-Sun and if there is any problem, there is no way of reaching them. I have experienced customer service with Auralic, PS audio and Wyred and they do respond even during weekends. Anyway, I as a receiver cannot redirect the package and I had to wait until Cary is open. But the package is stuck at FedEx although I get daily updates from FedEx. I asked Cary to recall the package them sent to the wrong city and send me another, but they refused. After 3-4 days, I contacted the Cary to cancel my order and cary sent me an email that I should refuse the package when it is delivered. So if the FedEx leaves the package while I am not home, it is up to me to return it? With pandemics, FedEx and ups do not always request direct signature. Cary audio doesn’t have the courtesy to call FedEx to have it returned to them. So it was up to me to call FedEx and redirect the package back to Cary at North Carolina. Meanwhile I am still waiting fro Cary to refund me and of course I called the credit card company to dispute the charge. Cary has been in the business for 40 or 50 years but it has not learned the art of customer service. If they want to direct e-commerce with customers, they should learn a thing or tow from Ps audio or Wyred. I thought I will buy a American made product but I am now back to my search for a streamer-dac and maybe I will get Lumin T2 from Hong Kong.

Formerly YB-2 07-12-2021 09:27 AM

Sorry to read this. I've dealt with them for many years and never a bad result. Am sure they will "make you whole" in the end. As for Fedex........ I never use them these days. There is a reason Amazon caceled their contract.

Rosswell 07-14-2021 06:46 AM

FedEx can be bad but the fault is on Cary audio and this so-called mid level director at Cary whom I won’t name refused to extend the customer service. I got the refund. I still get update on the package and it is still with FedEx after 2 weeks. This was what Cary audio wanted me to do, wait for two weeks or so for the package to be delivered by FedEx. If Cary DMS is as good as what some say, I might eventually get one to try it out but I will get an used item and not directly from Cary.

Masterlu 07-14-2021 10:53 PM

Rosswell… Welcome to AA! :wave: