AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Boulder Electronics (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Boulder Power LEDs are too bright!!! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49265)

BillK 12-23-2020 08:18 PM

Boulder Power LEDs are too bright!!!

I'm demoing an 1110 preamp but realize I don't think I could purchase one even if I love the sound as there is no way to dim the front panel power light.

It's blindingly bright, and even with the display turned off, the power light glows bright enough to actually be able to walk around my room at night by its glow.

The last thing I want to have to do when buying a $28K preamp is to stick a piece of electrical tape on the front.

Is anyone else annoyed by this, or do most people listen in bright rooms and not use the pre for home theater? :scratch2:

PHC1 12-23-2020 08:25 PM

LED stickers. :D

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....9M3sL._AC_.jpg

BillK 12-23-2020 10:03 PM

It seems like such an obvious oversight on Boulder's part.

Cohibaman 12-23-2020 10:10 PM

There are several manufacturers that put retina-burning, high intensity, focused LEDs in their products. Shiit products come to mind. I’m sure I’m not the only person that listens to their system with the lights low. It’s so easy to use wide-angle LEDs and put in a user-selected brightness control. [emoji849]

PHC1 12-23-2020 10:28 PM

Interesting how a few small LEDs are too much but HUGE blue McIntosh meters or meters on other gear like Luxman, Accuphase, ARC, PASS, etc... are not bad? :D

Cohibaman 12-23-2020 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1026876)
Interesting how a few small LEDs are too much but HUGE blue McIntosh meters or meters on other gear like Luxman, Accuphase, ARC, PASS, etc... are not bad? :D

Huge difference. The meters’ incandescent or LED lamps are diffused. Plus I can turn off my meter lights on my MC402s. :thumbsup:

PHC1 12-23-2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 1026877)
Huge difference. The meters’ incandescent or LED lamps are diffused. Plus I can turn off my meter lights on my MC402s. :thumbsup:

So perhaps Boulder got a great deal on laser pointers this year? :D

I would simply use one of those stickers to cover up an LED then.

BillK 12-24-2020 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1026878)
SI would simply use one of those stickers to cover up an LED then.

Always what you want to have to do to your new $28K purchase (not that the power indicator isn't as bright on the 2110 and 3010, so I suppose it's better than putting tape on the front of your $130,000 preamp.)

What's even sillier is the LED shines at full brightness even if you have the display completely shut off, as you might if the preamp is part of a home theater system.

BillK 12-24-2020 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 1026876)

Yes, as stated all of the equipment I know of with illuminated meters have the ability to dim them or turn the lighting completely off.

Antonmb 12-24-2020 11:27 AM

As Serge says, the simplest solution is these “LightDims.” They come with a variety of sizes and are easily applied and removed with no residue. I got them years ago for a PS Audio phono stage, but have used them on all sorts of equipment and appliances.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLVEQCO..._Dhl5Fb0NWEFY4

Still-One 12-24-2020 06:22 PM

I don't think front panel brightness has ever been part of my criteria when considering a purchase. It would have to be something to pass of Boulder quality and SQ.

BillK 12-25-2020 05:33 AM

My gear is in my living room, which is also my home theater if you will and is at a lower light level.

Putting the 1110 in my rack resulted in the power LED shining directly into my eyes at a rather obnoxious level, and it appears the 1160 LED would do the same.

My dealer's listening room is more well lit, and by comparison the LEDs and display on my Ayre equipment can all be dimmed to three levels or shut completely off.

On the Boulder pre only the display backlighting can be adjusted.

Boulder's not the only one by far; though the displays on Moon gear can be dimmed, their lowest level is also retina-searing, but thankfully they too can be switched off.

You cannot shut off the Boulder LEDs without pulling the plug.

George Prentice 12-25-2020 04:11 PM

I must admit it is REALLY disappointing to get a really high end piece of equipment and to find they have not thought through absolutely every aspect of its performance. I am really suprised at Boulder. I think nearly all pieces of equipment I have owned in the last twenty years have had display adjustments... generally not amps as they have a dim light so they do not need it. While when I was young and thirsted for the best sound at any cost... looks were of no consequence. I no longer accept that. I want both great looks and performance and am willing to pay for it. To me, the light would be deal killer... I am not going to be taping over a really high end piece of equipment.

Masterlu 12-25-2020 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Prentice (Post 1027102)
To me, the light would be deal killer... I am not going to be taping over a really high end piece of equipment.

Me too; I am also a picky purchaser.

Cohibaman 12-25-2020 07:12 PM

I’d simply modify it with a lower power LED. Shouldn’t have to but nothing is perfect.

Antonmb 12-25-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Prentice (Post 1027102)
...I am not going to be taping over a really high end piece of equipment.

I understand the sentiment, but for what it’s worth, the LightDims aren’t tape, they’re a thin film available in blackout or dimming. They come in a variety of sizes, and when applied to a simple LED, the small round dimming ones aren’t visible and just dim the LED to an acceptable level - they don’t look in the least tacky.

Unfortunately the brightness of LEDs is something many manufacturers fail to consider.

FastEddy 12-26-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillK (Post 1027052)
My gear is in my living room, which is also my home theater if you will and is at a lower light level.

Putting the 1110 in my rack resulted in the power LED shining directly into my eyes at a rather obnoxious level, and it appears the 1160 LED would do the same.

My dealer's listening room is more well lit, and by comparison the LEDs and display on my Ayre equipment can all be dimmed to three levels or shut completely off.

On the Boulder pre only the display backlighting can be adjusted.

Boulder's not the only one by far; though the displays on Moon gear can be dimmed, their lowest level is also retina-searing, but thankfully they too can be switched off.

You cannot shut off the Boulder LEDs without pulling the plug.

My 1110 is in a rack behind the listening position so never considered this issue. Looking at it now, yeah it is pretty bright. I would hate to put a dot over it because the pre looks so good. Maybe Boulder can supply a color matched dot.

The 3060 light is a pretty low key triangle outlined by light. My 2060 had an LED that was red when off and orange when on, and not too bright.

Masterlu 12-26-2020 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 1027114)
Shouldn’t have to but nothing is perfect.

Well, that just isn’t true... :D

https://cdn.supadupa.me/shop/48674/i...7_massive.jpeg

SCAudiophile 12-26-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1027184)

Now that IS perfect and has my two favorite colors,....orange and tan [emoji2]

PHC1 12-26-2020 06:44 PM

Bikini way too bright! Just saying... ;)

BillK 12-27-2020 04:57 AM

Sorry, I can't say that's perfect without knowing anything about her.

Bones13 01-02-2021 11:01 AM

The 1161 is on my list, so reading about this issue is interesting. From the online manual:

“The LED will then pulse white on and off, indicating that the supervising microprocessor is powered up and the amp is ready to be turned on using the front panel Standby button.“

The LED changes colors, and intensities, showing various states do the amp. Seems like an update via Ethernet, or direct settings through an IP controlled option (Open Home, or BoulderNet) could tone the brightness down.

BillK 01-02-2021 11:09 AM

Yes, they do have software control of the LED to make it pulse, they could make it only pulse so bright, unless "pulse" is just a mode a microcontroller does automatically.

phunge 01-02-2021 12:24 PM

I don't find the LEDs on either my 2100 or 1000 series amps to be overly bright, they don't bother me at all.

BillK 01-02-2021 12:34 PM

You're likely not using them as part of a home theater in a darkened room.

phunge 01-03-2021 02:41 AM

I am driving a 5.1 setup in a dedicated room, 2100 series for front left, right and center, and older 1000 series for rear speakers. My projector is pretty bright, 1800lm, but even during dark scenes I don't find the LEDs to be distracting. It would be easy enough to mask off the LEDs though if I did. I also have the 1008 phono stage, but that is not powered on when watching movies.

I don't have any experience with 1100 series equipment, maybe it is different?

BillK 01-24-2021 04:12 PM

Here is a fun example video someone else posted in dark conditions; find the 2110 and the pair of 2150s. :D

https://youtu.be/z9v0K3UJBsI

Hopkins97 02-03-2021 03:04 PM

Why not just add the ability to turn off the LEDs, you definitely need to write to support!

Masterlu 02-03-2021 04:50 PM

Hopkins97... Welcome to AA! :wave: