AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Esoteric K-01x or K-03x (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=30151)

SuperD 02-06-2015 07:14 PM

Esoteric K-01x or K-03x

Well its been awhile since I've upgraded anything in my system. I have read most of the posts about these two beauties and wanted to get some feedback from the AA experts about how it will integrate with my current equipment. My next upgrade after the digital source will most likely be my front speakers...thinking 800D's. I remember reading the K-01x was better with regular cds than the K-03x but I could be mistaken. I have quite a few sacds and almost all of my collection ripped lossless through XLD on my Mac, so the usb is important. I live in Houston and don't have a retailer that carries Esoteric, but I will drive to Dallas or San Antonio for a demo. Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

crwilli 02-06-2015 10:35 PM

Hang in there Dave, you will get some input. Reach out to Ivan as he is probably one of a short list that can answer you.

PlanarSpeakerFan 02-06-2015 10:46 PM

Dave,

I've owned the K-01 for over a year and have done an extensive audition of the K-03. The K-03 is a terrific sounding unit and you will never be disappointed with the sound. However, the K-01 sounds materially better in every way, imaging, dynamics, detail and musicality. If you can afford the K-01X, I would get it. I have never regretted spending the extra money for the K-01. Keep in mind that the K-01X and K-03X no longer have the adjustable volume control, so you will need a preamp. Last but not least, go for the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable, it is the best out there and you will never regret it.

Best,
Ken

Masterlu 02-06-2015 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 673148)
Dave,

I've owned the K-01 for over a year and have done an extensive audition of the K-03. The K-03 is a terrific sounding unit and you will never be disappointed with the sound. However, the K-01 sounds materially better in every way, imaging, dynamics, detail and musicality. If you can afford the K-01X, I would get it. I have never regretted spending the extra money for the K-01. Keep in mind that the K-01X and K-03X no longer have the adjustable volume control, so you will need a preamp. Last but not least, go for the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable, it is the best out there and you will never regret it.

Best,
Ken

Spoken like a True Aficionado. :beatnik:

:)

j3brow 02-06-2015 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 673148)
Dave, I've owned the K-01 for over a year and have done an extensive audition of the K-03. The K-03 is a terrific sounding unit and you will never be disappointed with the sound. However, the K-01 sounds materially better in every way, imaging, dynamics, detail and musicality. If you can afford the K-01X, I would get it. I have never regretted spending the extra money for the K-01. Keep in mind that the K-01X and K-03X no longer have the adjustable volume control, so you will need a preamp. Last but not least, go for the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable, it is the best out there and you will never regret it. Best, Ken

Hi Ken,

I have the platinum usb cable but not the series 7. Do you how it compares to the previous generation? I auditioned, in my home last 2 weeks, the Light Harmonic LightSpeed USB. Wow. Best usb I have heard. Beat my wireworld. Maybe series 7 could keep up. LS cable is $$ at 1k retail.

j3brow 02-07-2015 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDave (Post 673069)
Well its been awhile since I've upgraded anything in my system. I have read most of the posts about these two beauties and wanted to get some feedback from the AA experts about how it will integrate with my current equipment. My next upgrade after the digital source will most likely be my front speakers...thinking 800D's. I remember reading the K-01x was better with regular cds than the K-03x but I could be mistaken. I have quite a few sacds and almost all of my collection ripped lossless through XLD on my Mac, so the usb is important. I live in Houston and don't have a retailer that carries Esoteric, but I will drive to Dallas or San Antonio for a demo. Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

Go for k-01x. Just got my mine from Ivan last week. Simply amazing player/DAC. Breathtakingly good.

NOLG4EVR 02-07-2015 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDave (Post 673069)

Most of your music is ripped, why bother with a spinner. Why not just spend on a really good Dac. BTW, Notice you are using Transparent cables, their USB cables are excellent. Best I have used so far IMO.

chessman 02-07-2015 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOLG4EVR (Post 673170)
Most of your music is ripped, why bother with a spinner. Why not just spend on a really good Dac. BTW, Notice you are using Transparent cables, their USB cables are excellent. Best I have used so far IMO.

The K-01/K-01x is a really good DAC that also happens to spin disks. Has USB, coaxial digital and optic inputs.

SuperD 02-07-2015 11:44 AM

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry for the delay in getting back with everyone. I have a 9 month old little one and try to work around his schedule:D:thumbsup:.

Ken, Thanks for your input. The K-01x is a stretch for me but I have no doubt it would be worth it. correct me if this is a dumb question but can I use the esoteric with the MX-150?

J3brow, Congrats on that player. I have been following your thread. Its good to hear you are so pleased after just a week considering the break-in for these units. When I decide, I'll be contacting Ivan for a smooth transaction:thumbsup:

Nolg4evr, I want the spinners mainly for the reasons Chessman mentioned. I like to choose a disc and just listen:smoking:. I need something other than the Oppo to play my SACDs and from what I've read the Esoterics will be i significant upgrade. I have the transparent super cables and I love them. Someday i'll look at their ultra or reference line.

PlanarSpeakerFan 02-07-2015 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDave (Post 673253)
Thanks for all the responses. Sorry for the delay in getting back with everyone. I have a 9 month old little one and try to work around his schedule:D:thumbsup:.

Ken, Thanks for your input. The K-01x is a stretch for me but I have no doubt it would be worth it. correct me if this is a dumb question but can I use the esoteric with the MX-150?

J3brow, Congrats on that player. I have been following your thread. Its good to hear you are so pleased after just a week considering the break-in for these units. When I decide, I'll be contacting Ivan for a smooth transaction:thumbsup:

Nolg4evr, I want the spinners mainly for the reasons Chessman mentioned. I like to choose a disc and just listen:smoking:. I need something other than the Oppo to play my SACDs and from what I've read the Esoterics will be i significant upgrade. I have the transparent super cables and I love them. Someday i'll look at their ultra or reference line.

Dave,

Masterlu or JDandy would probably be the best one to ask about the MX-150, as they both own McIntosh and Esoteric. As for the previous generation of the WW Platinum USB, I've never heard it to compare. The K-01X will give you a reference level DAC, CD Player and SACD Player in one box. In my opinion, nothing even comes close at this price point.

Best,
Ken