AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Stillpoints....Audio crack? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50834)

jimtranr 02-13-2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 1054995)
Jim...yes, I've heard that experimenting with placement can have benefits. With my MC501 amps this isn't very practical given the weight of the amps and how they are situated. I'm using the threaded adapters as well. I'm more than thrilled with the results. I may do some experimenting with the placement of my ultr minis under my MCD1000 and MDA1000, I'm using 4 on each unit, using the "conventional wisdom" that 4 are more effective than 3.

Believe me, Pete, I--oof!--comprehend the amp weight issue. :yes:

Re the UD505, conventional wisdom has triumphed, and with Ultra Minis. Four placed symmetrically under the 9.4-pound DAC produced audibly improved transparency and slam over a three-point configuration.

Vintage Pete 02-13-2022 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 1055333)
Believe me, Pete, I--oof!--comprehend the amp weight issue. :yes:

Re the UD505, conventional wisdom has triumphed, and with Ultra Minis. Four placed symmetrically under the 9.4-pound DAC produced audibly improved transparency and slam over a three-point configuration.

Jim....I have no doubt you are enjoying the results with 4 minis under your TEAC UD-505 DAC. This looks like a nice DAC; I've always liked TEAC products.

The next place I intend to try the minis is under my PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant 12 AC regenerator. I'm very interested to see what kind of results I get, since the regenerator is not an audio component in the strictest sense. But it would make sense that a power unit would benefit, and hence we would realize a benefit downstream. There does seem a consensus among those in the know that this is a really good place to utilize Stillpoints.

After that, the next stop with minis will be at my McIntosh MP100 phono preamp.

Vintage Pete 07-18-2022 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 1054870)
Stephen.......You bring up a topic that has crossed my mind-and that is the use of isolators, whether they be Stillpoints or another brand on power devices-distributors, regenerators, etc. In my case, I wonder if there would be a sonic benefit utilizing isolators beneath my PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant P12 Regenerator? :scratch2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1054872)
Pete… need you ask? :laughin:

Okay....I've been behind the curve for a bit, but I finally did jump on a pair of Ultra Minis from Ivan to try under my PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant 12 Regenerator. I was really curious about this, and semi-skeptical since the regenerator isn't an audio component in the sense that an amplifier, DAC or other device is. Hence any benefit would be kind of second-generation. If there is a benefit realized by the P12, then presumably this benefit is then passed along to the system in the form of (even) cleaner power. There is sound logic to the potential benefit since there are hefty power transformers at play in these devices which inevitably produce vibration or resonance.

My Ultra Minis arrived 3 days ago (Friday) and I installed them that evening. It didn't take long at all to realize I was hearing a positive change. To my ears, it seemed as if stereo separation had improved. While that doesn't seem to make sense at first, I think it is really because there is less overall masking and so those delicate cues that make up the stereo image are more readily picked up to the ear. In any event, each time I add more of these devices, there is further refinement and I'm impressed every time. At this point, with everything that has been done over the last few years, I'm feeling like my system is really sounding pretty "glorious".

Aside from adding Stillpoint isolators under my speakers (too expensive), I think this will be the last Stillpoint addition that would influence the system in its entirely (as opposed to say, one source component). The next Stillpoints addition will likely be a set of Ultra Minis under my McIntosh MP100 Phono preamplifier.

I'm thrilled once again!!

Here's a couple of photos of the minis on duty with my P12....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e054c423_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9b6393be_b.jpg

Formerly YB-2 07-18-2022 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 1054810)
When I purchased my VPI Prime signature turntable, I purchased an LP1 VII record weight with it. To be honest, I can't draw any comparisons between it and the very attractive VPI-provided weight, because I've always just used the Stillpoints weight since I bought the table.

I can make the comparison. I had several record weights, including the VPI stainless that came with my VPI Capital Scoutmaster TT/TA at the time. I purchased the LP1 V1 from Ivan and it made an immediate and easily heard improvement over the VPI stainless model.

When visiting one of my audio-skeptic friends (cables, tweaks, etc.) who is mostly vinyl, I took along the LP1 to see if he could hear the difference. Once he used it on 3 or 4 LPs, he refused to give it back (I did owe him). So, Ivan to the rescue with a new LP1 V2. I rank it as one of my 3 audio-epiphanies (along with cables & MC cartridges). If you are into vinyl you deserve an LP1.

Vintage Pete 07-18-2022 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1064010)
I can make the comparison. I had several record weights, including the VPI stainless that came with my VPI Capital Scoutmaster TT/TA at the time. I purchased the LP1 V1 from Ivan and it made an immediate and easily heard improvement over the VPI stainless model.

When visiting one of my audio-skeptic friends (cables, tweaks, etc.) who is mostly vinyl, I took along the LP1 to see if he could hear the difference. Once he used it on 3 or 4 LPs, he refused to give it back (I did owe him). So, Ivan to the rescue with a new LP1 V2. I rank it as one of my 3 audio-epiphanies (along with cables & MC cartridges). If you are into vinyl you deserve an LP1.

I suppose one day I should do a shootout between the stainless VPI weight and my LP1 VII.

kubla36 07-18-2022 09:25 PM

They made more difference on the XR100 speakers than other components. I haven’t tried them on the XRT1Ks yet.

Masterlu 07-18-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubla36 (Post 1064015)
They made more difference on the XR100 speakers than other components. I haven’t tried them on the XRT1Ks yet.

Ultra SS feet on XRT1K’s are profound. :yes:

Speakers are the #1 place to start.

jpgr4blu 07-18-2022 11:58 PM

I had a VPI HRX with HRX weight. I purchased an LP1 from Ivan and noted that it tamed a bit of tizzy top end that I did not know existed until the LP1. It is a worthwhile improvement. The next best thing to vacuum hold down.

Vintage Pete 07-19-2022 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1064016)
Ultra SS feet on XRT1K’s are profound. :yes:

Speakers are the #1 place to start.

I'd love to put Stillpoints on my speakers, but it seems the Ultra SS would be small for the task in my case. I can see where they would probably be good on the XRT1K, with the bases they have. I'd probably want the Ultra 5's, and that would run into some pretty big bucks. Also, I'm unsure how they would be fastened. Your thoughts are welcome...:scratch2:

Vintage Pete 07-19-2022 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgr4blu (Post 1064018)
I had a VPI HRX with HRX weight. I purchased an LP1 from Ivan and noted that it tamed a bit of tizzy top end that I did not know existed until the LP1. It is a worthwhile improvement. The next best thing to vacuum hold down.

I really like the periphery ring I have. :yes: