AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Stillpoints....Audio crack? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50834)

Puma Cat 02-06-2022 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 1054870)
Stephen....I've read of some cases here and there where a user wasn't happy with his results with Stillpoints. Not many, however, and I've heard pretty much nothing but positive reports on their effectiveness with McIntosh. I consider their chassis construction to be robust, but of course everything is relative.

Hey Pete,
I've just found that you need to try different types of footer solutions under dfferent components or devices, there's no one "perfect solution" for every thing or every application. This is because there is a lot of variation with respect to different components, their function or the functional responses they produce, and how vibration or mechanical energy may impact that specific function in particular. And, as well, how the component is constructed and the materials it's made from, what it's resting on, etc. The clocks in digital devices, in particular, are very sensitive to vibration, for example.

First time I put a set of EVPs under my REL sub, it was a revelation because it made...the room itself significantly quieter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 1054870)
You bring up a topic that has crossed my mind-and that is the use of isolators, whether they be Stillpoints or another brand on power devices-distributors, regenerators, etc. In my case, I wonder if there would be a sonic benefit utilizing isolators beneath my PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant P12 Regenerator? :scratch2:

I don't know. You'll have to try it and see. ;) For your PS Audio, I'd try not just isolators, but hard, dense footers as well. The Shunyata SSF-50s are excellent under power distributors because they have excellent impulse transfer speed. You might also find the HRS Nimbus couplers and spacers would work well. This is high-end audio, it's complex because devices and funtions interact*, it's not the OFAT (One-Factor-At-A-Time) approach to experimentation we're taught in school. The REAL WORLD is complex and often, or, more accurately, usually, driven by interactions and..susceptible to noise factors☨.

So..you have to be a scientist. You have to do controlled experiments and keep a lab notebook. You have to try things and also examine, sometimes, multiple factors at once that interact.

If you look at the panel at the lower left of this graphic, entitled "Interaction Profiles", which is a DOE I did to optimize integrating my sub to my 2-channel mains, you can see there is an interaction between sub gain and crossover, because the red and blue lines are converging.

https://photos.imageevent.com/puma_c...reen%20cap.jpg

*–Interactions are common in science and engineering, yet students are never taught to consider them in their OFAT approach. An interaction that is particularly common in chemistry and engineering is...the Time*Temperature interaction. Wanna bake some cookies? Well, the Time*Temperature interaction is what results in a properly baked cookie. Not time, not temperature, the INTERACTION is what is important.

☨–when I refer to noise factors here, I'm referring to "statistical noise", factors that shift the functional reponse (mediated by a transfer function) off the mean or median, or add variance, or add both. All functional responses have some level of "noise" as there are no perfect transfer functions in the real world.

Cheers, Pete!

jimtranr 02-07-2022 08:31 PM

In my experience with Stillpoints footers, the real estate mantra applies: Location, location, location.

The natural inclination to place the footers in a symmetrical three- (equilateral triangle) or four-footer (rectangular) configuration seems to work in most instances. But I've found that the weight distribution and/or power transformer location of some components renders asymmetrical placement more effective in maximizing audible improvements in noise reduction, detail retrieval, and soundstage presentation.

This is true of Ultra Mini placement under my TEAC UD501 DAC (replaced by a UD505) and Ultra SS positioning under my c-j MF2500. Symmetrical placement of four footers under the 501 "thinned out" the sonics. In view of the 501's "off-balance" distribution, I spent some time determining where best to place three footers (yes, doing this can be a PITA) and hit sonic paydirt with an asymmetrical configuration that rendered the DAC a different, far more pleasant animal.

With the MF2500, I stuck with four Ultra SS, but given the amp's power transformer location and resultant "cockeyed" weight distribution, it was evident that rectangular footer placement wasn't going to cut it. Playing with footer configurations under the 56-pounder (all the while dodging the side-mounted heat sinks) was no picnic, but I could hear perceptible-enough differences with various footer placement schemes (I'm sure my cardiologist would have had a cow if he knew) to make the effort worthwhile.

I'm of course not done. The UD505 has three stock feet with manufactuer-claimed special isolation properties. So I'll be testing that against both the Ultra Mini and the Ultra SS to see which footer and configuration profile hits the mark.

Puma Cat 02-07-2022 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 1054967)
In my experience with Stillpoints footers, the real estate mantra applies: Location, location, location.

The natural inclination to place the footers in a symmetrical three- (equilateral triangle) or four-footer (rectangular) configuration seems to work in most instances. But I've found that the weight distribution and/or power transformer location of some components renders asymmetrical placement more effective in maximizing audible improvements in noise reduction, detail retrieval, and soundstage presentation.

This is true of Ultra Mini placement under my TEAC UD501 DAC (replaced by a UD505) and Ultra SS positioning under my c-j MF2500. Symmetrical placement of four footers under the 501 "thinned out" the sonics. In view of the 501's "off-balance" distribution, I spent some time determining where best to place three footers (yes, doing this can be a PITA) and hit sonic paydirt with an asymmetrical configuration that rendered the DAC a different, far more pleasant animal.

With the MF2500, I stuck with four Ultra SS, but given the amp's power transformer location and resultant "cockeyed" weight distribution, it was evident that rectangular footer placement wasn't going to cut it. Playing with footer configurations under the 56-pounder (all the while dodging the side-mounted heat sinks) was no picnic, but I could hear perceptible-enough differences with various footer placement schemes (I'm sure my cardiologist would have had a cow if he knew) to make the effort worthwhile.

I'm of course not done. The UD505 has three stock feet with manufactuer-claimed special isolation properties. So I'll be testing that against both the Ultra Mini and the Ultra SS to see which footer and configuration profile hits the mark.

If you want to measure vibration quantitatively, there's an app, VibSensor, for iOS that works well in measuring vibration.

Shown here, data plotted in JMP measuring vibration as Imparted Power, RMS using VibSensor.

https://photos.imageevent.com/puma_c...%20footers.jpg

robfine 02-08-2022 09:36 AM

A few notes: my first toe dip into Stillpoints waters was buying two quads from an AAer at a price too low to mention. I intended to put them under my speakers but unfortunately it was one of the rare cases Ivan couldn’t get an adaptor for. So the first quad went under my PS Audio P5 (since semi-retired for a Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12). I can tell you the Stillpoints and PS Audio regenerators are a great match and work very well together. I got cleaner sound and darker background. After a couple of months I put the other quad under my PrimaLuna integrated amp and that just magnified the effect, all for the positive. Since then I have added minis under my sources. I just got an Uptone EtherRegen and after reading this string I am going to unretire some Herbie’s Tenderfeet I have to try under it.

Vintage Pete 02-08-2022 10:35 AM

Gentlemen....thanks for all the input. Quite a bit to digest, but briefly:

Stephen....the vibration app looks interesting. Is it only available for iOS? Also I agree with your comments about quieting the room itself rings true. I need more time to study everything you posted.

Jim...yes, I've heard that experimenting with placement can have benefits. With my MC501 amps this isn't very practical given the weight of the amps and how they are situated. I'm using the threaded adapters as well. I'm more than thrilled with the results. I may do some experimenting with the placement of my ultr minis under my MCD1000 and MDA1000, I'm using 4 on each unit, using the "conventional wisdom" that 4 are more effective than 3.

robfine...thanks for your input re using Stillpoints with PS Audio re-generators. I'm becoming more and more interested in trying this. I'm thinking maybe ultra minis would be the ticket with my P12.

Puma Cat 02-08-2022 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 1054995)
Gentlemen....thanks for all the input. Quite a bit to digest, but briefly:

Stephen....the vibration app looks interesting. Is it only available for iOS? Also I agree with your comments about quieting the room itself rings true. I need more time to study everything you posted.

Hi Pete,

Also available for Android...

https://download.cnet.com/VibSensor/...-78370653.html

miner 02-08-2022 06:30 PM

Pete,
Very nice write up - some of Dan is channeling through you. One knock I have on VPi turntables are their isolation feet, or lack there of. I had terrible audio feedback through my Aries 3 x 3D table. Ivan worked with me to help solve this nagging issue. Between the Ultra 5s and HRS platform my table (audio room is on a second floor - suspended no less) I have nothing but audio bliss. When I spoke to MFremer about my headaches with vinyl playback he knew one of the culprits were the mini-HRX feet on my Aries 3. I can now listen as loud as I want with no feedback/rumble nightmares. It was by no means a cheap fix.

Vintage Pete 02-08-2022 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 1055030)
Pete,
Very nice write up - some of Dan is channeling through you. One knock I have on VPi turntables are their isolation feet, or lack there of. I had terrible audio feedback through my Aries 3 x 3D table. Ivan worked with me to help solve this nagging issue. Between the Ultra 5s and HRS platform my table (audio room is on a second floor - suspended no less) I have nothing but audio bliss. When I spoke to MFremer about my headaches with vinyl playback he knew one of the culprits were the mini-HRX feet on my Aries 3. I can now listen as loud as I want with no feedback/rumble nightmares. It was by no means a cheap fix.

Kevin....thanks. I really miss Dan, I think of him often and wish he could be here to see my progress of late. I remember you mentioning once before that you had feedback issues with your Aries 3. I've had no issues whatsoever in this respect with my Prime Signature-it does sit atop a pretty massive structure and a very solid platform on top of that. There are no issues, though one thing I have noted is that it doesn't tolerate tapping on the plinth or bumping it-though this never happens in normal use. Floating suspension turntables tend to do better in this respect. The feet on my Prime Signature are quite large-I've noticed that the updated new Signature 21 model actually has smaller feet. I'm not sure what to make of that, but at the end of the day I have zero feedback issues with this table. I can raise the roof playing vinyl with no ill effects at all. And of course it is a joy to look at when not in use.

robfine 02-08-2022 10:14 PM

Stillpoints....Audio crack?

Hi Kevin, I would talk to Ivan. While I am pretty sure the P12 falls within the weight range of the Minis, if it is anything like the P5 in weight you might want to think about going with the Ultras. I can’t say they wouldn’t be as good but to my eye, and I have both Minis and Ultra SS here, it has never occurred to me to switch out the SS for the Minis. I would be very curious to hear what Ivan says. No science behind my comment except that the PS seems to weigh what some floorstander speakers do and I wouldn’t think of using minis under a floorstanding speaker. On the other hand I have the minis under my Halo May KTE dac and it is over 40 lbs so maybe…

Vintage Pete 02-08-2022 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robfine (Post 1055044)
Hi Kevin, I would talk to Ivan. While I am pretty sure the P12 falls within the weight range of the Minis, if it is anything like the P5 in weight you might want to think about going with the Ultras. I can’t say they wouldn’t be as good but to my eye, and I have both Minis and Ultra SS here, it has never occurred to me to switch out the SS for the Minis. I would be very curious to hear what Ivan says. No science behind my comment except that the PS seems to weigh what some floorstander speakers do and I wouldn’t think of using minis under a floorstanding speaker. On the other hand I have the minis under my Halo May KTE dac and it is over 40 lbs so maybe…

robfine....according to what I've been able to find, each mini can support 50 lbs. The P12 weighs 48 lbs. I would plan on using 4 minis, so I would think I should be fine. I wouldn't have enough vertical clearance for the Ultras where my P12 is situated, and still have ventilation.