AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tubes & Valves (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Tube Possibilities (yes, that's right) (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24939)

prepress 01-19-2014 07:12 AM

Tube Possibilities (yes, that's right)

Tube Depot has received positive comments around here, and it's from them I got the JJ ECC803s gold-plated tubes I use now in my C2300 line stage. They have a new feature, a Tube Comparison Tool, which gives you graphic ratings for the various tubes they have, and even someone such as I find it interesting and fun to compare tubes this way. I spent way too much time doing that yesterday. My experience with the JJs seems consistent with how they're rated with the Comparison Tool. Based on the rating of the Gold Lion 759B (I assume that's the one so popular here), it's easy to see what the fuss is about. Unfortunately, the Amperex 12AX7A ECC83 tubes I got from my Mac dealer aren't listed; it would be interesting to compare them. The 15–20 or so hours they were in the line stage suggested open and clean sound, but bass performance was unclear.

As part of my cable clutter reduction project (another thread) I was thinking about using the 2300's MM section, swapping out the stock tubes there for something else and removing my phono preamp. This would eliminate a power cord and interconnect pair (it would also give me two empty shelves, but that's another story). My current JJs would seem to be too noisy for a phono section based upon their rating. Interesting—a non-tube guy (still, in some ways) exploring tubes. I'd never have thought it.

DonBattles 01-19-2014 02:32 PM

You probably already know this but the the McIntosh phono stage will like balanced/matches pairs of tubes with low micro-phonics. While I didn't have a C2300 I did have a C220 for a while and tried a few different tubes. What I liked best were NOS RCA Black plates and also found Tung Sol gold pins and Gold Lions (both new production tubes) to be pretty good as well. As for the charts shown these are primarily spec's you would be interested in for guitar amp use and not fully applicable to audio use. For example they rate the Gold Lion 12AX7 as bright in tonality, to me they were pretty warm sounding overall. What it comes down to is there is no right or wrong tube and you will simply need to try some to find what you will like. And don't get caught up in new vs. NOS but you should try some from each era to see what sound good to you.

jdandy 01-19-2014 02:49 PM

Don.......Good response to Charles' post. Very good advice. If you don't hear it with your own ears, you don't have a clue how it sounds and no explanation will change that.

prepress 01-19-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonBattles (Post 572151)
You probably already know this but the the McIntosh phone stage will like balanced/matches pairs of tubes with low micro-phonics. While I didn't have a C2300 I did have a C220 for a while and tried a few different tubes. What I liked best were NOS RCA Black plates and also found Tung Sol gold pins and Gold Lions (both new production tubes) to be pretty good as well. As for the charts shown these are primarily spec's you would be interested in for guitar amp use and not fully applicable to audio use. For example they rate the Gold Lion 12AX7 as bright in tonality, to me they were pretty warm sounding overall. What it comes down to is there is no right or wrong tube and you will simply need to try some to find what you will like. And don't get caught up in new vs. NOS but you should try some from each era to see what sound good to you.

Hello there,

Are you talking about the B759 GLs or the regular GLs? They listed two types. The cheaper of the two is rated much brighter and sounds like it's the one you refer to; I was referencing the B759.

With some of the tubes they give separate comments for hifi and guitar amps. I wouldn't consider any where no comments were given on a potential hifi application. I need something as a starting point and from there trust what I hear. Matched pairs are a good idea; the JJs I have are matched. I will stick with that for sure, whatever I do.

prepress 01-19-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 572155)
Don.......Good response to Charles' post. Very good advice. If you don't hear it with your own ears, you don't have a clue how it sounds and no explanation will change that.

True, my ears are the final arbiter. No disagreement there. And while I'm essentially satisfied by the JJ tubes I have in now, considering giving the phono stage another try has led me to look at other tubes. I do have the NOS Amperex tubes, as mentioned, so that would be a logical starting place. The TD comparison chart gives the GL B759s higher marks than the JJs in ways that appeal to me.

I admit I am disinclined to make repeated tube rolls. My schedule and system setup disfavor that, plus my audiophile gene isn't big enough to pursue them (the little bugger is more occupied with power cords at the moment). The current thought is to put the Amperexes into the line stage and give them, say, a month; I may well succumb and get some GLs (the 759 ones!) or Mullards to have on hand. Between the JJs, Amperexes, Mullards, and GLs, I would be set. It's also true that the same brand doesn't have to go into both line and MM slots; I have only 2 pair of the Amperexes and will want to preserve them, not use both pair up at once.

My schedule precludes a lot of long listening sessions, so a month is the minimum any tubes should get for a fair hearing. I will be listening primarily to how low frequencies are handled.

rlw3 01-23-2014 01:33 PM

My 2 cents- break in the tubes for the recommended number of hours then go back to the original tubes then put the new ones back in. Comparing straight out of the box is not accurate. Consider getting some non NOS tubes that have been chryoed to compare what that will do for you. You may be amazed or disgusted-wont know till you try.

prepress 01-23-2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw3 (Post 573337)
My 2 cents- break in the tubes for the recommended number of hours then go back to the original tubes then put the new ones back in. Comparing straight out of the box is not accurate. Consider getting some non NOS tubes that have been chryoed to compare what that will do for you. You may be amazed or disgusted-wont know till you try.

My intention now is to put the NOS Amperex tubes into the line stage; I'll keep the phono preamp for now. I'm considering strongly getting a pair or two of GL 759s just to have here.

I've been told that a tube pretty much shows itself in about 25–30 hours, at least in basic character. I hope to double that before making any big decisions. I think the JJs I'm using now took more than that 25–30 to really fill in. I have 3 pairs of them and 2 of the Amperex.

rlw3 01-23-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prepress (Post 573447)
My intention now is to put the NOS Amperex tubes into the line stage; I'll keep the phono preamp for now. I'm considering strongly getting a pair or two of GL 759s just to have here.

I've been told that a tube pretty much shows itself in about 25–30 hours, at least in basic character. I hope to double that before making any big decisions. I think the JJs I'm using now took more than that 25–30 to really fill in. I have 3 pairs of them and 2 of the Amperex.

Take your time and enjoy what you learn via the differences. Just make sure there is only one new variable at a time or everything become difficult to sort out. Synergies are crazy good when achieved. But deciding to change ic's before pc's will lead to different choices then when you change the pc's first.
Wonder what the best way to go is. I believe everyone changes their ic's and spkr cables first because this has been done the longest before people used after market power cords

prepress 01-24-2014 06:32 PM

No sooner did I make a post about changing tubes than I listened to the stereo via my tuner, and found myself asking why I'd want to change the tubes. The JJ ECC803s sounded really good. I guess I could say the Amperexes cost more and justify it that way.

prepress 02-08-2014 04:57 PM

I have received my Mullards and Gold Lions today. A bit later I'll get another pair of each, and that plus what I have already will be my tube library for the forseeable future. I don't really see much need for more than that. I might buy a few cheap pairs of something to use in the stage(s) I don't use, but as far as anything else the four brands I have now should be plenty.

I still want to put those NOS Amperexes back in. Wednesday would have been good, but the day didn't work out and I ended up going to work instead of being off. A tube change is still in the plan, however.

prepress 02-18-2014 10:00 AM

The NOS Amperex tubes went back in late yesterday afternoon, and I spent a couple of hours listening to NPR. I try to listen normally in cases like this, not for background or critically; it's a more honest take for me. The sound didn't seem too different from that of the JJs, but things seemed a bit more forward with the Amperexes, voices in particular.

I don't think the 15 or 20 hours the Amperexes have on them already is enough of a gauge, so I'll be listening as time goes on. The Amperex tubes will stay in until at least St. Patrick's day (3/17), and by then I should have a good notion of what they are to my ears.

prepress 02-24-2014 11:11 AM

Last night NPR sounded the same as usual, but I put on a DVD I'm very familiar with, Yes Live at Montreaux. It sounded more transparent and, unfortunately, a bit bright, plus the low frequencies weren't as strong. I hope that changes. I heard something I didn't remember hearing in Heart of the Sunrise, but that wasn't the norm.

prepress 03-22-2014 06:07 AM

The Amperex tubes have now been in the line stage section for a month plus a few days. Most of that listening has been with the tuner and more to put hours on the tubes than anything else. My 301 is still out, so there's been no CD. Last week I finally put in my back-up Marantz DV8400 (a universal player, purchased as a CD player in late 2003). It also has a new WW Stratus 7 power cord, so no conclusions there. I think I should try that Yes DVD again to see if it sounds the same to me. Last night The Avengers sounded good. The Soundgarden track playing over the closing credits has some low end punch that I don't remember hearing before.

Playing records has been a treat so far. I've played only a few sides, but heard an openness that's appealing, plus (my magic bullet) details I hadn't heard (or don't recall hearing). This was especially apparent with Close to the Edge, an album I'm very familiar with. This is also through a 20-year old Aragon 47k phono preamp with the IPS power supply; this has inspired thoughts of the Parasound JC-3, not a good thing right now, but they creep in occasionally.

My overall impression is that the Amperex tubes are more open than the JJs. I'm inclined to leave the Amperex tubes in the line stage until I get my 301 back and then give those two a chance to get acquainted.

jdandy 03-22-2014 06:50 AM

Charles.......You've become a tube roller. ;)

prepress 03-22-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 591818)
Charles.......You've become a tube roller. ;)

I guess I do have one foot in the door, as it were. Since I have a library of sorts (if you call four brands a library) at some point I could well be curious enough to put the Mullards or Gold Lions into the line stage. I did pay for them, after all.

That episode last night with the Soundgarden track suggests patience with the Amperexes is called for. Up until now I'd not thought the bass quite as strong with these tubes as with the JJs. Guess I'll give them some more time (which they'll certainly get, it looks like, since I want to hear them with the still-absent 301) and see how things go.

prepress 05-10-2014 06:52 AM

Not sure where it came from, but last night while listening to the system, there was a still small voice that said, "put the JJ tubes back in." I wasn't thinking about doing that; the thought just appeared. I've said before that the Amperexes are more open but a bit light tonally compared to the JJs. I have one pair each of Mullards and Gold Lions as well, so there's another option. It was more curiosity than dissatisfaction that led to changing the JJs out before, plus the Amperexes were twice the money.

What happened is I have a "reference" DVD, Yes Live at Montreaux, which I can use to evaluate things, and it still sounds a bit thinner than before, even with AQ King Cobra replacing the Kimber Hero ICs; the KC has a slightly fuller sound (though close), at least it did compared to the Kimber when used as a pre/power connection. And the BD player is a Pioneer Elite BDP-09, with its excellent analog section and full, rich sound. So that's not the issue.

My other "reference" BD/DVD disc is The Avengers. The Soundgarden song that plays during the closing credits sounds better now than I remember. If I put the JJs back in and don't get a consensus with these two discs, I may get confused.

prepress 05-17-2014 02:45 PM

There is a plan. I have ordered another matched pair each of Mullards and Gold Lions. Upon their arrival the Mullards, along with the pair I have already, will go in the line stage and MM phono slots, unless I decide to give deference to the more expensive GLs. I expect either to have a fuller sound than the Amperex tubes, good as they are. I guess I'm rolling now.

UPDATE 5/18: Not so sure now. The Amperexes sounded really good today with Orgelwerke: Meisterwerke zum Kennenlernen, a collection of organ works by Bach, Brahams, Pachelbel and others. I dare say things sounded as good as yesterday's organ performance during the New York Theological Seminary's graduation services, held at Riverside Church in Manhattan. I don't know if I'll change the tubes out just yet.

prepress 05-21-2014 07:24 PM

The new tubes are here. I now have two pairs each of Gold Lion B759s (not the brighter version; these are the good ones) and of Mullards. These, like everything else bought from TD, are matched pairs. I don't know if the Amperexes are matched.

I have no complaint about the Amperex sound, except that they still seem a bit light in tonality; the low end is a touch thin compared to the JJs and definitely thin compared to my old LS3 preamp, though things still sound good. I hope to decide what I want to do and swap out the Amperexes for either the Mullards or GLs, perhaps this weekend. I did think of mixing it up, GL in the line stge and Mullard in the MM stage. Not sure yet.

jdandy 05-21-2014 08:01 PM

Charles.......I am still watching this thread. Always interested in tube rolling experiences, especially in the McIntosh C2300 preamplifier. I am looking forward to reading your impressions of the newest tubes.

prepress 05-24-2014 10:01 PM

Ok, the Amperexes were removed and I put the Mullards in both the line stage and MM inputs. They have 3 hours on them (I'll stop counting once I get past 25 hours, as usual). I listened a bit to NPR, and used my usual video test discs, The Avengers BD and Yes: Live at Montreaux DVD.

Preliminary impressions out of the box: the Amperexes will not see the inside of the 2300 again, except as a last resort. Good as the Amperexes are, the Mullards, to my ears, blow them away. The Mullards have more gain, and play louder at the same volume. The sound is richer and fuller, and the low end is powerful. The Mullards are more dynamic, a bit warmer, and less "polite." They're good HT tubes, I'd say. I might even consider turning down the bass a little.

I plan to move on to see if this trend continues with LPs, LDs, and CDs next. The Mullards, like their predecessors, will get at least a month in the 2300 before any final decisions are made, but at this point I'd leave them in place.

jdandy 05-24-2014 11:56 PM

Charles.......I am not surprised to hear the Mullard's are more to your liking than the Amperex tubes. I have had good experiences with Mullard tubes, although like all things electronic, how a tube sounds is dependent on the circuit design as much as the tube design, construction quality and materials.

What is the actual tube number on the Mullard tubes? I am assuming you purchased them from TubeDepot.

prepress 05-25-2014 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 609482)
Charles.......I am not surprised to hear the Mullard's are more to your liking than the Amperex tubes. I have had good experiences with Mullard tubes, although like all things electronic, how a tube sounds is dependent on the circuit design as much as the tube design, construction quality and materials.

What is the actual tube number on the Mullard tubes? I am assuming you purchased them from TubeDepot.

Yes, from Tube Depot, as are all the tubes so far except the Amperexes, which came from Lyric HiFi (where I got the 2300). The Mullards are new production 12AX7 ECC83 tubes. In addition, these triode numbers are from off the boxes:

gm Triode 1 – 110, gm Triode 2 – 105
gm Triode 1 – 105, gm Triode 2 – 110

gm Triode 1 – 105, gm Triode 2 – 100
gm Triode 1 – 100, gm Triode 2 – 105

I just noticed that the second pair listed is marked "high gain" on the box. Truth be told, I don't remember specifying that when I ordered them, only for matched pairs, which is what the invoice says. They're in the line stage. The previous pair of Mullards doesn't say "matched" on the invoice, nor was I charged for it (they're in the MM section). And on one pair of the Gold Lions, the boxes are marked "high gain" and "balanced"; I didn't request that (I wasn't charged for it either).

Since tubes are new to me, I don't know if there will be much of a difference. I did like what I heard last night very much, and am looking forward to what else comes as the tubes get more hours on them. I think that "matched" means the above numbers should be within 10% or less of one another; whether there's any benefit depends more upon the particular equipment the tubes are in. You or another tube expert could correct me on that if needed.

prepress 05-28-2014 04:13 PM

More listening with the Mullards via CD, tuner and DVD over the weekend. They have about 11:40 on them now.

As I listened I noted some diffrences between the Mullards and the JJs I started with. First, the Mullards aren't quite as warm as the JJs. This was evident when playing Santana's Sacred Fire: Live in Mexico DVD. The guitar was more piercing than with the JJs, though just short of bright-sounding; it was smoother with the JJs. The Mullards' higher gain again helped out, and it felt and sounded a little more like a live concert than a DVD. I've seen Santana live, and Carlos' guitar can be piercing, even a bit strident depending upon the auditorium.

The bottom ends are about the same, with perhaps a slight edge to the Mullards, but again, they're higher gain tubes so that may be a factor. I'd have to put the JJs back in to double check that.

On CD, Fanfare for the Common Man (Atlanta Symphony/Lane) was appropriately powerful, as was Night on Bald Mountain/Pictures at an Exhibition (Cleveland Orchestra/Szell). Brass had a bit more bite to it, which made the music seem more lively.

Still haven't played any LPs yet. I have the Tedeschi/Trucks Band's latest waiting, Made up Mind. I need to be able to give LPs full attention, and that can be tough to do the way my schedule and responsibilities work.

Linus 05-30-2014 12:53 PM

I can see tube comparisons becoming an obsession...

prepress 05-30-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 610843)
I can see tube comparisons becoming an obsession...

Hello Linus.

Well, I started this, so I figured I would note any differences I heard for anyone who might look at this thread. Maybe some would find a semi-hobbyist, rank tube amateur's observations interesting. I, too, can see where it could become an obsession, but I have only four tube brands plus the stock ones that came with the C2300, with no intentions of buying any additional brands. I'm not a serious tube guy, so I'm not inclined to buy bunches of brands for the sake of experiments. I believe those I have will suffice.

As I say, I want to give the Mullards at least a month, and go from there. Maybe curiosity will get me to try the Gold Lions I have, or maybe I'll be content with the Mullards and the GLs can be replacements for them if any fail, or vice versa. That's what I expect will happen, but it would mean I'd have to try the GLs at some point; I could just buy more Mullards, too. The JJs were good as well, so that's another option. Plenty of options, even with a limited number of brands to choose from.

prepress 05-31-2014 05:24 AM

By the way, following up on an earlier threat, I did turn down the bass last night while viewing two DVDs, Marcus Miller in Concert and Jeff Beck: Rock 'n' Roll Party Honoring Les Paul. It was set to +3; I flattened it (0) with not much, if any, effect. The low frequencies still had power. But those two DVDs have strong low frequencies anyway, so I'll have to try it with material that's light on low frequencies as well. Plus, I am not listening critically, I'm listening regularly. But again, so far it's yay, Mullards!

prepress 06-17-2014 04:24 PM

Update: I have passed 30 hours with the Mullards and they have smoothed out some, but still have that powerful bottom end, and have enough crispness on top that I really have to consider these are the tubes for long-term. I still have GLs here, but I'm liking the Mullards plenty, and may not want to take them out. As said before, things sound more like a live performance with the Mullards in my system than with their predecessors. I like them, officially.

I've read that the GLs are a bit more relaxed than other tubes of the 12AX7 type, according to one review. Since I have an all-in-one system, I don't necessarily want "relaxed" with some movies or concert DVDs. Of course, one person's "relaxed" may not be mine. But, the GLs are still here, and I'm leaning toward not installing them after a month automatically, as if by ritual. I will have to be moved to do so naturally, I think; curiosity or dissatisfaction will have to be the prime mover.

And I still haven't played vinyl yet.

prepress 06-30-2014 07:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
During that first 30 hours I got a Mosaic box set, The Complete Atlantic Studio Recordings of the Modern Jazz Quartet 1956–64. I believe that vibes are a good test instrument to try with tubes. On the initial tracks the vibes sounded close to milk bottles, a bit hard. After 4 of the 7 CDs, the sound of the vibes began to smooth out a bit, and were more tuneful. Good stuff. I must get around to the other 3 CDs.

Some have thought MJQ wasn't really jazz. But it's good music, easy to listen to and especially so if i want music to mellow out with. I find MJQ and Antonio Carlos Jobim at the head of my list for such things.

prepress 07-21-2014 01:47 PM

Has anyone ever done a comparison between the new production Mullards and Gold Lions?

Sunshyne 07-23-2014 08:35 PM

I'm trying to in the near future... If I can just get some matched at7's for my c2200. They seem harder to find than the ax7's. Then I'll throw in some input. I really want to try the Mullards or Tung-sol in the preamp.

prepress 08-22-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshyne (Post 625573)
I'm trying to in the near future... If I can just get some matched at7's for my c2200. They seem harder to find than the ax7's. Then I'll throw in some input. I really want to try the Mullards or Tung-sol in the preamp.

That would be an interesting comparison. I've become aware of new production CV4004 Mullards as well. Tube rolling wasn't supposed to be part of the deal here; but I do wonder if those CV4004s are any better than the regular new production Mullards I have now. I need to be careful. . .

Sunshyne 08-22-2014 09:13 PM

I ended up with the all Mullard's in the c2200. I'm not sure I hear much difference all though I have not done a lot of listening. Maybe a little drier... I'm curious as to the difference in materials and construction between the two.

prepress 08-28-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshyne (Post 632790)
I ended up with the all Mullard's in the c2200. I'm not sure I hear much difference all though I have not done a lot of listening. Maybe a little drier... I'm curious as to the difference in materials and construction between the two.

I think most tubes need to get about 30 hours on them, then they'll begin to sound like what they're going to be; after more hours they settle in. The Mullards I have were stronger in the low frequencies when they first went in; that's smoothed out now.

prepress 12-08-2014 06:52 AM

Perhaps a dangerous question. Has anyone ever compared Psvane tubes to Mullards? I don't want to be a tube roller, but what little I've read suggests they may be good on dynamics. I still like my new production Mullards, but these Psvanes were brought up in my preamp thread and I'm a bit curious. The Psvanes are about the price of Gold Lions, so the hit to the wallet wouldn't be outrageous.

Maybe the curiosity will pass, but for now I'd be interested in any comparisons between the Psvanes and Mullards I can find.

prepress 03-17-2015 02:55 PM

I did some minor research on the new production Mullard CV4004 on Upscale Audio's website. The only difference between them and the regular new Mullards is the CV4004 is short-plate, as opposed to the regular one being long-plate, which may mean the CV4004 is a bit quieter. Does anyone have experience with both to offer a meaningful comparison?

prepress 08-25-2015 06:52 PM

For the tube experts . . . which tubes, if any, are really good on dynamics, in your opinion? I have no complaints on music with the 2300, but things seem to lack punch on the video side (I have a dual purpose system, you understand). DVDs don't have the same impact as before when the preamp was solid-state, though they still sound good overall.

Cohibaman 08-25-2015 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prepress (Post 722429)
For the tube experts . . . which tubes, if any, are really good on dynamics, in your opinion? I have no complaints on music with the 2300, but things seem to lack punch on the video side (I have a dual purpose system, you understand). DVDs don't have the same impact as before when the preamp was solid-state, though they still sound good overall.

I'm curious how you are using the C2300 for video. Are you just using it for two channel? Two channel plus sub? There's a lot of information on the center channel in a 5.1 channel system and I'm wondering how you're getting all the info in/out of the C2300.

prepress 08-26-2015 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 722431)
I'm curious how you are using the C2300 for video. Are you just using it for two channel? Two channel plus sub? There's a lot of information on the center channel in a 5.1 channel system and I'm wondering how you're getting all the info in/out of the C2300.

It's a 2-channel system; no sub. My BD player, a Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD, is set to decode audio to two-channel and feeds the C2300 via Kimber Hero IC. I also make sure to select stereo or Dolby 2.0, or DTS in the disc's menu, if necessary (the 09 downmixes DTS to 2 channel). The 2300 feeds MC501s via Transparent MusicLink Plus ICs, then Kimber 12TC feeds the speakers.

I should mention the ARC LS3 I used before has no tone controls, on top of being solid-state; I use a +3 setting on the bass trim of the C2300 currently. That helped, as did the Hero IC (which replaced AQ King Cobra, which replaced the Hero previously, though that was with different tubes than the current Mullards). Not the dynamics really, but the sound filled in a bit more.

Still, I wondered if there's a tube known specifically for strong dynamics. If there is and it isn't too expensive I might try it.

prepress 09-12-2015 06:13 AM

While the Mullard/Hero combination gave nice detail, it was hard/bright at upper frequencies depending on the source material. Clashing cymbals, gongs, orchestral crescendos and such sounded "white" (I'm not quite up on the terms to use). Again using my Moody Blues concert at Royal Albert Hall DVD as test material, at my usual volume setting (42 on the 2300) I'd come away with a headache after a few numbers in.

So I removed the Mullards and re-installed the warmer JJ ECC803s tubes in the line stage. I also took the Mullards out of the MM section and re-installed the stock tubes. I don't know if the line stage JJs are the previously installed pair (I should mark the boxes), but playing the same DVD yielded no headaches. The sound was smoother, still with nice detail. Van Alstine uses JJ tubes (not these necessarily, I don't know) and they are described as musical. I agree. When I took them out of the 2300 the first time it wasn't because I didn't like them; it was curiosity about other tubes.

What this change may do is mitigate the urge to move to Transparent interconnects.

bart 09-12-2015 07:27 AM

Charles, I'm following your venture into tubes with utmost interest. :thumbsup:
I'm changing to tubes myself next week, and I don't know anything about them...