AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Remote Control (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Harmony questions (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39406)

crwilli 05-17-2017 10:04 PM

Harmony questions

If I wanted to get a Universal remote to control my Panasonic Plasma TV, McIntosh MX121, OPPO 103 and Perhaps my Direct TV box, what would I get? My requirements: Simple, reliable, and programmable BY ME and usable BY MY WIFE.

I have recently made acquaintance with two people who each have Harmony remotes that costs them $400 to be programmed by their dealer. They are not into the hobby, have busy work schedules and are being taken advantage of by their dealer. $400 to add a new source! Are you kidding me! One of them has. MX780 that apparently can only be programmed by a pro. More like a crook.

NFW am I putting myself in a position to have to rely on somebody else to help me add another source to my remote. My friends are being robbed.

Cohibaman 05-17-2017 10:14 PM

Craig,

The Harmony Remotes are super easy to program using a PC. Simply connect via USB and run the software. I can't understand why anyone needed to pay to program one. I'm using the older Harmony One remotes and absolutely love them. The only thing they can't control is my PS3 (Bluetooth) and any DirecTV box that's set up as RF rather than IR.

I'd even be willing to send you one to try if you'd like, I'm that confidant.

crwilli 05-17-2017 10:31 PM

Mike, Is there a specific model? Craig

Cohibaman 05-17-2017 10:43 PM

Harmony questions

I'm using the older "Harmony One" remotes. They had hardware issues so I had to tinker with 4-5 that I picked up on eBay to Frankenstein together 3 that are now rock solid.

The Elite looks to be similar, but upgraded to communicate with its hub via RF, then the hub sends out the IR info. It's available on Amazon so you can always return it if it doesn't work to your liking.

crwilli 05-17-2017 11:29 PM

Thanks, I will look at it! Thanks for the kind offer. Let me learn a little more and come back to you.

Masterlu 05-17-2017 11:58 PM

Craig... I'm a Universal Remote Control fan, and dealer. I can hook you up not only with the programming software, but a training lesson whenever we get together again. :cigar:

It is very simple, and intuitive!

crwilli 05-18-2017 12:00 AM

Cool!!! I will call you soon!

Masterlu 05-18-2017 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 847324)
Cool!!! I will call you soon!

Anytime! :tiphat:

rnrmf1971 05-18-2017 12:04 AM

I have 4 old Harmony One's, all purchased new from authorized dealers. They still work great and can still be upgraded with the software as needed. I would hate to be without them as they can control everything and are customizable, as well.

If I needed a new one, I'd look at the Harmony Elite, as it looks most similar with the most physical buttons.

Some previous Harmony remotes between the releases of the One and the Elite were more touch screen based and/or ergonomic nightmares for me. I purchased one of them and sent it back because it was so awkward to use by comparison to the One.

cleeds 05-18-2017 10:38 AM

I'm using the lowly Harmony 650. I think it may be discontinued, but it is still available. It is very easy to program and easy to use. To be clear, I have modified the programming slightly a few times from its first installation, but that was just to fine-tune its operation.

My system is evolving into one that is more networked and will offer greater remote control options - so much so that I'll probably get a tablet to control it all. Nevertheless, I plan to keep the 650 remotes, just for convenience. For what they cost, it's easy to justify.