AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MA352....any love? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48406)

sandman 08-11-2021 03:05 PM

I am reducing my audio "footprint". I am considering the MA352 to replace my C-2600 and
two MC611's. Has anyone made a simular move and regretted it or have any suggestions?
Thanks

John Jordan 08-11-2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandman (Post 1042970)
I am reducing my audio "footprint". I am considering the MA352 to replace my C-2600 and
two MC611's. Has anyone made a simular move and regretted it or have any suggestions?
Thanks

SandMan-

While I have no listening experience with the exact combinations you have in question I have listened to others similar. I offer this:

The 2600 is a very good pre-amp with a built in DAC. Consider selling/trading the 611's for a 312 and keep the 2600. It might behove you to have a listen to a 275 just for giggles.

Enjoy the Hunt!:banana:

John

PeterMusic 08-12-2021 08:22 PM

SandMan--

I'm with JJ above. I have not heard the 352, and I would guess it's a fine product, but it's a LONG way down the food chain from what you've got.

In addition to the stuff in my signature, I have a very nice secondary system at my lake house. I don't listen to it. Why bother? That's "regret"

In addition to John's suggestions, what about an awesome integrated that might have a reasonable shot at competing, with pluses and minuses to what you have now? Vinnie Rossi comes to mind.

Good luck!

Stahle 08-12-2021 09:25 PM

MA352....any love?

sandman

If you truly want to downsize and can’t stick with separates, then look at the MAC7200. In my opinion, it is a much better unit than the MA352 and will do everything. If you want an EQ, then look at the MA8900. If you want to go all out, get an MA12000. With the equipment you have, you could easily sell it and have enough money for an MA12000.

Just curious, have you actually seen an MA352 in person? My dealer has one and I was not impressed.

sandman 08-12-2021 10:18 PM

I really appreciate all the suggestions. I am considering moving and was hoping to downsize my system. Since posting the question my C-2600 & Amps are sold and gone.
I sorta get a sick feeling just looking in the room. LOL
I was considering the MA352 because I hoping it to be a one component compromise.
It has two sets of XLR inputs which I would find useful. I looked hard at the MAC7200 but it only has one set of XLR inputs.
I do have a set of the custom handles NIB that I never installed on the C-2600. I guess the worst case senerio would be to end up with a new C-2700 (so I could use the handles) and another pair of MC-611's...

mcpaf76 08-13-2021 08:48 AM

If you truly want a single chassis replacement, the MA12000 would be the only thing in my opinion that would approximate the performance of what you had. Similar Pre, power amp architecture, slightly newer Dac. However it would most likely be a slight downgrade overall, which I'm sure you were prepared for, at the benefit of saving space. Another option, while not single chassis, could get you into a single footprint(instead of 3). Provided you had the vertical space, you could consider a 2700/462 combo. This could get you close to your old setup in performance and you could use your handles.
By the way, for what it's worth I owned a 252 and while it was a great amp, it isn't in the same league as the other stuff you had, I doubt the 352 would be much closer.

PeterMusic 08-13-2021 09:08 AM

Hi again, Sandman,

You'll note the common denominator in all the recs you've received is more $.

Left unspoken is whether you are hoping to reduce the cost of your system as well as the physical footprint. You just aren't going to find a $6500 integrated that can compete sonically with your previous amplification. That's not to say you cant buy a very nice integrated for a few thousand dollars--I have a terrific NAD for $600. Only to say it's not realistic to expect those solutions to be comparable to 2600/611s.

Please advise on your cost target

Formerly YB-2 08-13-2021 11:05 AM

sandman - What speakers r u using and how large is your listening space? These will have a major impact on your selection.

djscottyobrien 09-26-2021 08:40 PM

I am new to the high-end world... although have been in Live Sound production my whole life. I have so many reviews that tubes bring the missing warmth that is removed from your tracks after compression and signal loss. BUT, I have also heard that a tube amp cannot fill that bottom end like a solid state. I figured the MA352 would be the best of both worlds?

I do know that I want to end up with Martin Logan ribbons... I love that sound!

Thoughts please. Don't hold back... educate me:)

Formerly YB-2 09-27-2021 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djscottyobrien (Post 1046032)
I am new to the high-end world... although have been in Live Sound production my whole life. I have so many reviews that tubes bring the missing warmth that is removed from your tracks after compression and signal loss. BUT, I have also heard that a tube amp cannot fill that bottom end like a solid state. I figured the MA352 would be the best of both worlds?

I do know that I want to end up with Martin Logan ribbons... I love that sound!

Thoughts please. Don't hold back... educate me:)

After going back & forth a few times between tubes & SS over the past 20yr, I'm firmly in the tube camp. Maybe. Going to listen to Class A SS one more time..............

As for Martin Logan............... when did they start making ribbon driver speakers? They offer electrostatic panel speakers and standard dynamic-cone drivers in their lower-end models.
Perhaps you meant Magnepan, who offers ribbon & quasi-ribbon speakers from moderate to very large size panels.