AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What are you using as a Roon Server ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51480)

1KW 08-19-2022 04:03 PM

What are you using as a Roon Server ?

I have been using a old macmini but it needs to be replaced as it goes to sleep when its not used for a day or so and when rebooting takes forever suggesting the hard drive is on its last legs even after running disc utility. I looked at the roon branded server but that seems like old technology also and you can really rip your own music (not positive on this ) ? So what are most of you using as a Roon Server since I am in the market for a replacement of my macmini ? Hoping to find a replacement for under 2k .

-E- 08-19-2022 04:12 PM

Shameless self-plug, but Silenzio, of course.

1KW 08-19-2022 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -E- (Post 1065356)
Shameless self-plug, but Silenzio, of course.

E it has been awhile so do you mind listing the specs/capability of your current Silenzio and prices ? Maybe a picture of what they look like now as well.

Puma Cat 08-19-2022 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 1065352)
I have been using a old macmini but it needs to be replaced as it goes to sleep when its not used for a day or so and when rebooting takes forever suggesting the hard drive is on its last legs even after running disc utility. I looked at the roon branded server but that seems like old technology also and you can really rip your own music (not positive on this ) ? So what are most of you using as a Roon Server since I am in the market for a replacement of my macmini ? Hoping to find a replacement for under 2k .

Just get an Intel NUC and power it with a $12 Jameco linear power supply. Job done.

Or, for a turnkey solution, get a SonicTransporter from Small Green Computer. You can get one with a 1 TB driver for $1275.https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/p...ransporter-i5#

Antonmb 08-19-2022 04:19 PM

What are you using as a Roon Server ?

SonicTransporter i7 from Small Green Computer. It's a Linux-based dedicated music server that can run Roon, HQPlayer, Squeeze server, Minimserver, Plex or BubbleUPnP. It's simple, reliable, and sounds good. No Windows or other clutter.

Puma Cat 08-19-2022 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1065360)
SonicTransporter i7 from Small Green Computer. It's a Linux-based dedicated music server that can run Roon, HQPlayer, Squeeze server, Minimserver, Plex or BubbleUPnP. It's simple, reliable, and sounds good. No Windows or other clutter.

There ya go...:thumbsup:

1KW 08-19-2022 04:29 PM

I am a Linux and windows dummy as i only use Mac. How would you load roon onto sonic transporter ? I am assuming you need some linus computer skills ? Would this be better than a M1 macmini ?

Antonmb 08-19-2022 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 1065366)
I am a Linux and windows dummy as i only use Mac. How would you load roon onto sonic transporter ? I am assuming you need some linus computer skills ? Would this be better than a M1 macmini ?

No skills necessary, it comes pre-loaded. There are a few simple things to do when setting it up, but Andrew at Small Green Computer will work you through anything.

W9TR 08-19-2022 07:52 PM

NUC i7 running Roon core here. Synology NAS for all
my music files. It all just works well.

dkorbal 08-19-2022 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 1065366)

I was where you are about a year ago. Looking for a Roon server and had no Linux experience. Ended up with a i5 Transport (no DSP usage) 2 TB hd from Small Green Computers and never looked back. Andrew was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I came from a Mac.