AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   A question for the Sonus Faber peeps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51888)

Summit 01-04-2023 02:33 PM

A question for the Sonus Faber peeps

5 Attachment(s)
Im sure that after the release of the Master Series speaker placement manual, many of us told our significant others we did not want to be disturbed for 72hrs (min). We were going off the grid. going dark, and there was no email or cell reception.

I have come up to the surface with a question im hoping can be answered here.

I've always been told that SF speakers needed lots of room away from front and side wall AND you needed at least 8 ft between the speakers for the soundstage to bloom and separate.

I am now at the point where I want to make Jennifer Warrens mouth sound less wide. To do this, speakers need to be placed closer together. In my case, this would put the speakers about 6 to 6 1/2 feet apart, countering the 8 ft min Ive always been told they need to be.

My room is 26ft long but only 13ft wide with 7ft ceiling. The pictures I've posted we taken before i started moving the speakers as per the Masters instructions.

Your thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

robfine 01-04-2023 03:50 PM

That’s a really really nice room you’ve got there.

Summit 01-04-2023 03:52 PM

Thank you, Sir:thumbsup:

Masterlu 01-04-2023 06:05 PM

Very nicely done! :ok:

McMan 01-04-2023 06:20 PM

It seems to me you need to experiment to find peace of mind.

If it were me, I would mark the exact location of feet for both speakers after the master series placement (reference point - different color tape). Then, I would move the speakers closer and see what happens at the 6.5 ft, 6.25 ft, and 6 ft.

Then experiment with moving the speakers in inches until you find them precisely to your liking. Mark each speaker's exact feet placement, then compare it to the master series placement.

You will then find what YOU'RE exact spot. Trust the process and yourself. Oh, you probably thought of this, but make sure you place some sliders under the speakers.

clpetersen 01-04-2023 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robfine (Post 1070402)
That’s a really really nice room you’ve got there.

+1. Nicely done!

Summit 01-05-2023 05:05 PM

:thumbsup:Thanks everyone. I know there's some out of this world listening rooms here

crwilli 01-05-2023 07:14 PM

At your 6-6.5 feet speaker width, how far away from that line are you?

miner 01-06-2023 02:06 PM

I recently read Jim Smith’s book on audio/sound setup. The X distance between speakers tweeters should be 0.83 (83%) of the distance from tweeter to listener’s ear.

X=Y(0.83). Or, distance from speaker to listener is 120% of distance between speaker tweeters.

Summit 01-06-2023 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1070462)
At your 6-6.5 feet speaker width, how far away from that line are you?

The listening chair is about 5 1/2 feet away. I seem to feel the bass more in my chest at that distance.
That said, if your brain is anything like mine, you stop being satisfied with the position/sonics quite quickly.

I am thinking i need something more precise than my hearing to figure this out. If the Master Series speaker placement formula fails in one area, its when the human element needs to make decisions.