AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Esoteric D-07 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=4326)

Still-One 05-07-2010 04:29 PM

Esoteric D-07

I brought home an Esoteric D-07 DAC to try out for a few days. I wanted to see how the unit compares to my MCD-500. I have wanted to try an apodizing filters in my system after Serge's comments about the Ayre unit.

It would be to big a hassle (cable wise) to hook them both up at the same time to my C-1000 so it will come down to audio memory which we all know is very short.

Currently I am running the output of my MS-300 into the D-07 and listening that way. Balanced outputs, and have selected the apodizing filter.

Pic to follow Saturday

Jim

1KW 05-07-2010 04:39 PM

I am interested to hear your review. I am hoping the effects of the apodizing filter would not be detectible to my "passive listening" ears :D

cmalak 05-07-2010 05:18 PM

Jim...looking forward to it as well. :thumbsup:

PHC1 05-07-2010 05:56 PM

Curious to hear your impression. The Ayre has a filter that eliminates pre echo and post ringing artifacts, the Esoteric only pre echo. None the less, pay attention to see if you pick up on the new found level of smoothness and relaxed, more natural sound. It took me a few days to get adjusted to the new type of sound after hearing the artifacts for over 20 years. :D So don't jump to any conclusions, keep listening. :music:

Still-One 05-07-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 80459)
Curious to hear your impression. The Ayre has a filter that eliminates pre echo and post ringing artifacts, the Esoteric only pre echo. None the less, pay attention to see if you pick up on the new found level of smoothness and relaxed, more natural sound. It took me a few days to get adjusted to the new type of sound after hearing the artifacts for over 20 years. :D So don't jump to any conclusions, keep listening. :music:

Thanks - Will do . :thumbsup:

Face 05-07-2010 06:58 PM

That is a great sounding unit, enjoy!

JohnThomas 05-08-2010 08:37 AM

Jim I look forward to your report. Since DAC's are the hot thing now due to music servers and after listen to the Ayre CX-5eMP and the the ARC CD-8. I wish someone would make a musical sounding dac like ayre and arc. Unfortnately ayre and arc stand alone dacs fall short to my ears musically.

John

Audio 1 05-10-2010 12:33 PM

I spent some time with the D-07, but unfortunately without a recent point of reference. So I am very curious in your feedback.

jdandy 05-10-2010 12:43 PM

Jim.......Any comments yet on what differences, if any, you are hearing between the Esoteric D-07 DAC and the MCD500 DACs?

How about that photo. Saturday came and went. ;)

Still-One 05-10-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 80988)
Jim.......Any comments yet on what differences, if any, you are hearing between the Esoteric D-07 DAC and the MCD500 DACs?

How about that photo. Saturday came and went. ;)

Dan,
Sorry, I am getting to that today. We ended up celebrating Mother Days Saturday and yesterday I was getting Linda and some friends off to the airport and on their way to Paris.

I will post my thoughts a bit later tonight. I want to swap the standard power cable I have been using on the D-07 for the Transparent Reference I use on the MCD-500.
Jim