AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Hometown Section (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Visit from Vintage Pete (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=18213)

jdandy 12-30-2012 03:25 PM

Visit from Vintage Pete

(Vintage Pete), aka Pete came to visit me yesterday. The drive from Largo to my home is about 3-1/2 hours, so I invited him to spend the night. That was good because it took off the time constraint for him to head back home before it got to late. Pete arrived about 2:00 PM. It was an enjoyable time and I had fun showing off my systems and talking about all things audio. We spent the afternoon listening to the living room system. I cooked bar-b-que chicken on the grill with corn on the cob and we ate dinner about 6:00 PM. By 7:00 PM we were down in the studio.

It has been three years since Pete's last visit and both of my systems have grown and changed, particularly the studio system which doesn't have a single piece of gear or speakers that were there on his last visit. Pete brought a dozen or more CD's to listen to, so I just gave him the remote, showed him how to operate the Esoteric K-03, and turned him loose. I just sat back and watched him play and smile. At one point I took one CD he had just played in the K-03 and played it again in the MCD1100. At the end I asked if he thought I was making a mistake replacing the MCD1100 with the K-03 and he said no. I'm sure Pete will post so I will let him elaborate on his experiences. He took a bunch of photos on his phone and sent them to his pal Joe in Binghamton who was texting him back continuously his responses. We stayed in the studio until after midnight listening to and enjoying all kinds of music. I treated him to some hi-res downloads from the Olive 04HD as well as hi-res via USB from the Sony laptop. I am certain he was rightfully impressed. By midnight I think I had worn Pete out, so I gave him sheets and a blanket, showed him how to operate the theater system remote so he could watch some television and left him in peace.

This morning Pete and I enjoyed fresh ground Starbucks Italian Roast coffee and warm apple danish while listening to Liz Story play her magnificent piano on the living room system. After a few cups of java we went back down to the studio for a few more hours of listening. By noon Pete had to head back to Largo. The visit was great fun for me. I'm pretty sure it was for Pete, too. He had my studio system cranked up more than once. We had a good time.

rscotth 12-30-2012 03:32 PM

Sound like a ton of fun!

Masterlu 12-30-2012 03:43 PM

Very nice Dan... I'm looking forward to Pete's review later.

chessman 12-30-2012 03:49 PM

Dan and Pete, that sounds like an awesome weekend to me! :thumbsup:

bzr 12-30-2012 04:06 PM

Dan & Pete, we are lucky to have such enjoyable excursions to venture on. No doubt your abode & company is held in high esteem Dan, by Pete & sounds like you gentlemen had a great time.

BlueChiaro 12-30-2012 04:30 PM

Awesome, Dan... I love hearing about these get togethers. The only thing better is being part of one! Kudos to you for having him over to hear your fantastic systems.

Sent from my DROIDX using A.Aficionado

KahunaCanuck 12-30-2012 04:53 PM

Sounds like a great time...this hobby and AA are great for expanding our experiences and our friendships.

Thanks for sharing Dan!

Jerome W 12-30-2012 05:06 PM

Great great great !
Thanks for sharing Dan !

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Portugal 12-30-2012 05:24 PM

It's great when people go beyond online and meet in person.

:beerchug:

Vintage Pete 12-30-2012 05:42 PM

A great time!

Hey Folks.....I just pulled in home about 30 minutes ago, I'm still disembarking, have to do a few things, visit Mom, grocery store, etc.

But the short story is, it was really great time, the visit represented a number of "firsts" for me, (and actually for Dan as well) and I enjoyed it immensely. Put simply, Dan's systems are, well, "to die for". :yes:

Later this evening I will post my impressions much more in depth.

For now, I just want to thank Dan and Marlene for a great time!

More later,

Pete