AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   C-03X Reviews/Opinions? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35694)

wooferocau 05-03-2016 05:22 PM

C-03X Reviews/Opinions?

Hi,

I am just about to purchase an Esoteric C-03x Pre for my system, can anyone point me to any online reviews on this unit...the few i have found relate to the older C-03 .

Any one here using this pre? How do you find it?

Thanks..

adol290 05-04-2016 11:04 AM

I own a c-03x, and I think it is a great pre.

I heard it against a Bryston SP3 and a Manley 300B. Just no comparison.

I find there is a very clear separation between instruments with no noise
in between. With the right system the image sounds 3D. Very big clean soundstage. I found it even gave a good soundstage with cheaper speakers.

Have tried it with Polk RTIA9, Bryston Model T signature, and PMC IB2i's.

I would not trade it for anything, well maybe a c-02x if I could afford it.

I recommended it to a friend and after he heard it at my place he bought one. He later did the unthinkable and sold it. Now he complains his system just doesn't sound right, and is sorry for selling it.

kngale1 05-04-2016 04:18 PM

I think C-03x was replaced with C-03xs.

Been looking into adding a SS preamp to the system ... Anyone compare C-03x to Ayre KXR, SMc VRE-1C, EMM PRE-2SE and Audionet PRE G2?

wooferocau 05-11-2016 04:45 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Over the last few months i have been trying different pre amps , as this is the one component i have neglected as such.

I started with the Manley Labs "Shrimp" tube pre to which i was happy with , but on latter re positioning my gear i had no choice to use XLR,s because of the long runs to the amps. The Shrimp was only RCA, so using it wasn't an option.

This in hindsight has turned out to be a godsend...
I had several old school Krell pre,s of my own to try. KSL-2 / KRC-3/ KRC. I also got to try a friends highly regarded Krell KRC-HR.

The Krell,s were "OK" but seemed to lack something ...
I got it in my head i wanted a Krell KCT, i imported one from the UK.... this turned out to be one of the biggest gambles and mistakes i have made HiFi wise. The Krell KCT was a big , big disappointment.

So i went looking at the Esoteric option.
The Esoteric C03x is a complete revelation!! I am honestly awestruck by its performance.

Two words sum up the C03x.."Control" and " Detail".

Detail..... i cant believe the detail that the C03x brings out . The separation and definition of instruments is incredible. Tracks i have played many many times i was now hearing things i have never heard before!,i had no idea i was missing this much with my previous preamps.

Control.... The control , particularly in the bottom end is staggering...fast/defined/detailed. Fast cluttered music is so much easier to listen to because of this . The separation and control of everything just makes it so much easier to take in. Bass is so much more defined and controlled...i am absolutely awestruck by this.

I was worried that the C03x may be to "bright" for my system, particularly after tube pre,s..... well the C03x is so very very smooth and analogue sounding , but with incredible detail....you would never pick it as an SS pre......it actually sound more "Tube Like " than some tube pre,s i have sampled.

The Esoteric C03x has been probably the best upgrade i have added to my system.......definatley listen to one if your ever contemplating a change...its a superb product...

KMC45 05-11-2016 11:56 AM

You made a good choice.:thumbsup:

Douglas 05-11-2016 12:05 PM

Wooferocau... I have the original C03 and agree totally with your comments. These are kick-ass pre's and I suspect I will hang on to mine for a very long time.

Louawalters 09-09-2022 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adol290 (Post 777985)
I own a c-03x, and I think it is a great pre.

I heard it against a Bryston SP3 and a Manley 300B. Just no comparison.

I find there is a very clear separation between instruments with no noise
in between. With the right system the image sounds 3D. Very big clean soundstage. I found it even gave a good soundstage with cheaper speakers.

Have tried it with Polk RTIA9, Bryston Model T signature, and PMC IB2i's.

I would not trade it for anything, well maybe a c-02x if I could afford it.

I recommended it to a friend and after he heard it at my place he bought one. He later did the unthinkable and sold it. Now he complains his system just doesn't sound right, and is sorry for selling it.

Hi @adol290 I too live in Canada - the C-03X is on my short list of pre amps to mate with my Audia Flight Strumento No 4 amp. Do you still own the Esoteric Pre?

Thanks!