AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Isolation, Tips & Tweaks (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   VPI Magic Brick, HRS damping plate, or wrong path (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49421)

Imapo 01-20-2021 07:23 PM

VPI Magic Brick, HRS damping plate, or wrong path

Looking for the wisdom present in AA regarding which path will provide the most bang for the buck. I have a Simaudio Moon 310LP phono preamp I believe has the flaw of a more resonate than preferred case. I have it sitting on four HRS low profile Nimbus doohickeys. I think I will get some positive benefits if I add some mass on top of it. I can get new VPI magic bricks or, for a fair amount more, I can get a HRS damping plate to put on it?

What are your thoughts on my logic (or lack thereof) and thoughts? If you vote the HRS route, thin or thick version and why. I usually prefer Grand Prix isolation footers, but the 310LP is too light for them and moves all around.

PeterMusic 01-29-2021 11:00 AM

You could simulate the magic brick with a similarly weighted though less aesthetic household object or two. If your hear an improvement, buy the brick for the look.

Please report back on this--I cannot quite imagine a brick-like object working, but i have never tried

rnrmf1971 01-29-2021 01:52 PM

Personally, I'd confirm that you even like the nimbus footers.
While I like and use the HRS damping plates, the nimbus footers were not as useful to me. For the most part, I didn't think they positively affected the sound under most of the components I used them on.
I have much better results with Stillpoints and Isoacoustics Oreas and use the HRS damping plates with both.

daveneumann 02-05-2021 07:26 AM

I am using Isoacoustics footers and a Magic Brick with my Pass Labs XP17 phono preamp. Each on its own improved the sound, using them together has yielded the best sound in my system.

Imapo 02-05-2021 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 1030861)
Personally, I'd confirm that you even like the nimbus footers.
While I like and use the HRS damping plates, the nimbus footers were not as useful to me. For the most part, I didn't think they positively affected the sound under most of the components I used them on.
I have much better results with Stillpoints and Isoacoustics Oreas and use the HRS damping plates with both.

The HRS Nimbus are working okay so far. I much prefer the Grand Prix Apex isolation footers. I ordered one of the HMS damping plates. I hope the HRS plate adds enough mass to allow me to return to the Apex footers. I will definitely experiment.

TOGA 06-08-2021 03:30 AM

Consider MOON 320 power supply first I suggest.
The cheap thin metal cover rings when we knock it, but leave it alone
I don’t think it will do any noticeable harm to the sound.
In my experience, spending money on good hardware and cables first.