AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Streaming MQA (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49446)

JDCheek 01-25-2021 03:29 PM

Streaming MQA

While I’m not new to digital streaming, a lot of things have changed since my Squeezebox days in 2007. While I enjoy vinyl and R2R recordings, the world is at your fingertips when streaming endless possibilities with a lot of streaming service options. I have had higher end DACs(MDA 1000), but as I venture back into streaming, I want to make sure my components are working together and I’d like to reduce the number of boxes in my system. Right now I am streaming both Qobuz and Tidal from a Bluesound node 2i Into my C-2200. My desire is to make sure I am able to get MQA quality streams since that is now available. The Node says it decodes MQA, and it has a built in DAC, but that seems easy for the small investment of the Node. I have a C-2700 on order that replaces the C-2200, and it has a well regarded DAC built in and upgradeable. But it doesn’t do MQA. I doesn’t seem correct that the Nodes DAC does, the Mc DAC does not. So does that mean that my stream gets dumbed down if I run it through the C-2700? That doesn’t seem correct. So what am I getting wrong? And btw, the node was really an attempt to get my system back up and going. I’ve been looking at other devices such as Auralic and Lumin.

Still-One 01-25-2021 03:52 PM

You could have the Bluesound Dac output to one of the analog inputs on the 2700. You would then get the MQA you desire.

JDCheek 01-25-2021 05:10 PM

That’s pretty much what I do now into the C-2200. So if I can stream the best quality file through an inexpensive streamer with an internal inexpensive DAC, why would I spend 6-8-10k or more for a streamer with expensive DACs. The quality of how that file is “reproduced”? Even more simple, the reason the same album sounds different with different TT or cartridge.

Still-One 01-25-2021 05:40 PM

You make a good point. You will not get the same results playing a MQA file thru devices from different manufacturers. Just like your example with analog it depends on what you are willing to spend to improve MQA reproduction. I am sure you can find something you will like under the $140k if you go with WADEX. :D

PeterMusic 01-25-2021 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDCheek (Post 1030451)
While I’m not new to digital streaming, a lot of things have changed since my Squeezebox days in 2007. While I enjoy vinyl and R2R recordings, the world is at your fingertips when streaming endless possibilities with a lot of streaming service options. I have had higher end DACs(MDA 1000), but as I venture back into streaming, I want to make sure my components are working together and I’d like to reduce the number of boxes in my system. Right now I am streaming both Qobuz and Tidal from a Bluesound node 2i Into my C-2200. My desire is to make sure I am able to get MQA quality streams since that is now available. The Node says it decodes MQA, and it has a built in DAC, but that seems easy for the small investment of the Node. I have a C-2700 on order that replaces the C-2200, and it has a well regarded DAC built in and upgradeable. But it doesn’t do MQA. I doesn’t seem correct that the Nodes DAC does, the Mc DAC does not. So does that mean that my stream gets dumbed down if I run it through the C-2700? That doesn’t seem correct. So what am I getting wrong? And btw, the node was really an attempt to get my system back up and going. I’ve been looking at other devices such as Auralic and Lumin.

I have not spent much time streaming but I have a Node for my second system. I think your excellent amps and speakers will leave you disappointed with the Node. You should probably invest a bit more here

rnrmf1971 01-26-2021 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDCheek (Post 1030451)

I have a Node 2i but I've since switched to Qobuz because I thought it sounded better than Tidal.
If I'm not mistaken, even if you use the coax digital output (which sounds better than the optical), the Node 2i can still "unwrap" the file to either 96/24 or 88/24; what you miss out on is the software manipulation in the form of upsampling and filtering which is the second part of the MQA chain as I recall.
But you might be able to set up the dac in the 2700 to upsample and choose a filter that you like the sound of - not the MQA way but perhaps satisfying. Or you might just enjoy the 96/24 or 88/24 file decoded as is.

JDCheek 01-26-2021 07:49 AM

I appreciate the comments...very helpful. I think in the end, it’s not whether it’s MQA or not, it’s what’s sounds the best on the equipment you have. I believe that a much better streaming device, preferably one with a very good DAC, is the way to go. And then I can play with how that is connected to my C-2700, RCA, coax or digital. There are a couple threads on streamers that will help. I really like the look of the Lumin T2. Unfortunately, I don’t have a dealer close to me, so end up having to trust the reviews and advice of others.

Formerly YB-2 01-26-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDCheek (Post 1030507)
I believe that a much better streaming device, preferably one with a very good DAC, is the way to go. And then I can play with how that is connected to my C-2700, RCA, coax or digital.

Isn't the DA2 module in your new C2700 "a very good DAC"? Purchasing a streaming device with DAC built-in would be redundant.

I've whined at Charlie Randall that McIntosh should offer the DA2 in a dedicated streamer so one can upgrade to the DA3 (4, 5, 6, etc.) when it comes out. Would be an even better device if the streaming portion was also a 'plug-in' module like the DA2 so could be upgraded.

JDCheek 01-26-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1030515)
Isn't the DA2 module in your new C2700 "a very good DAC"? Purchasing a streaming device with DAC built-in would be redundant.

I've whined at Charlie Randall that McIntosh should offer the DA2 in a dedicated streamer so one can upgrade to the DA3 (4, 5, 6, etc.) when it comes out. Would be an even better device if the streaming portion was also a 'plug-in' module like the DA2 so could be upgraded.

That makes sense to me, but that’s assuming that any streaming device that converts MQA signals doesn’t get that signal “dumbed down” in the DA2. I love my C-2200 and only did the upgrade for the DAC, Phono and Headphone amp upgrades.

George Prentice 01-27-2021 01:58 AM

A note on streaming that I have learned over the last few years. The streamer in an audio chain maters... big time. It is very analogous to the analog system. The further up the chain the more important the device. I was formerly of the opinion that the thing that spits digital bits... which are then retimed (in the case of USB) and changed to analog in the DAC was not important. Wow, that is so not true. Now the most expensive component I own is my streamer (no DAC) and it was worth every penny of the $22K. So matching the quality of the streamer to your system is really important.

Anyway looking at your system I am guessing if you want to improve the sound you will want to be looking at upgrading your streamer when you can... then all the MQA stuff will go away. Personally I like Aurender... I have owned a number of streamers, including Auralic, and several Aurender.