AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audeze (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   LCD 3 Cable Upgrade (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50026)

John Jordan 07-04-2021 10:59 PM

LCD 3 Cable Upgrade

Hello-

Currently using the flat cable provided with my LCD 3's. It's a bit short and an el cheapo extension really degrades the sound.

Any suggestions for an after market replacement of the original in the 15 foot range that may also improve the sound?

Thanks!

Masterlu 07-04-2021 11:04 PM

John… after trying just about all of the aftermarket headphone cables; Cardas Clear are hands down the best. Yes, I happen to be a Cardas Dealer as well.

John Jordan 07-04-2021 11:12 PM

Well Ivan, Greased Lightning Strikes Again!
Can you steer me to some additional info?

Thanks!
BTW, speaking of Greased Lightning, Happy Fourth to All!

Masterlu 07-04-2021 11:32 PM

PM sent

fourxmotion 07-08-2021 01:29 PM

I had LCD-2s with both the Cardas Clear and Moon Audio Silver Dragons. The Silver Dragons did a better job opening up the sound stage getting more detail out of the highs and lows without loosing the bass slam Audeze is known for.

John Jordan 07-11-2021 09:57 PM

Appreciate the suggestions fellas'.
Now also considering a dedicated headphone amp. In the mix are the Bryston, Woo 22 and of course the Tubed McIntosh.

This may take a while. :)

George Prentice 07-12-2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Jordan (Post 1041313)
Appreciate the suggestions fellas'.
Now also considering a dedicated headphone amp. In the mix are the Bryston, Woo 22 and of course the Tubed McIntosh.

This may take a while. :)

I have three Woos. I chose the WA5 because I was interested in having a powerful 300B headphone amp. The tonal balance, detail, and power of the WA5 gave me exactly what I wanted. My Sennheiser 800s are in no way trebly of lacking in bass with this amp. Same with my Focal Utopia… they actually sound like the same headphones, one being open backed and one being semi-open backed. This I attribute to the electronics taking full control of both headphones with quiet, detailed, natural, and powerful signal. The WA22 is likely to be a very good choice. For my tastes, it would be my choice without any reservations.

Antonmb 07-12-2021 05:35 PM

LCD 3 Cable Upgrade

Like George, I also have 3 Woo amps (active, there’s a 4th in storage): the WA7, WA8, and WA22. I bought the WA22 instead of the WA5 only because I was feeding from a balanced source and wanted to run balanced to my Senn HD820s. It’s a wonderful sounding amp, and at its best in balanced mode. I highly recommend it if you will benefit from balanced. Having said that, if you’re not running a balanced source and headphone cabling, I’d go for the 5, which is by all accounts, a superb amp.

Re cables, the Moon Audio silver dragons are excellent.

John Jordan 07-14-2021 05:49 PM

Thank you George and Tony!

Despite being "McIntosh Blind" the Woo looks very interesting and still made in NY. Not quite sure on the pre amp thing or being balanced and how this is different than the Mc 200.

Today 40 feet of an inexpensive Carnare Mic cable arrived with 2 mini xlr's. I'm going to see how this DIY4C (Do It yourself for Cheap) thing works out. At least gives a bit more time to ponder and procrastinate the bigger decision.

W9TR 07-14-2021 06:29 PM

I have one of the MHA 200’s on order. My experience with headphone cables has been a mixed bag - no big impacts so far. By the time I change them out I can’t tell if there is an improvement or an illusion.

I’d be very interested in your findings on inexpensive HP cables.