AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Balanced Audio Technology (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   BAT VK-52se vs. BAT VK-53se (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25952)

PROL 06-04-2014 01:32 AM

Chessman, Wilson audio sophia 3

Swelfelo 06-14-2014 10:24 PM

Thread Hijacked

How the hell did the thread devolve from my question to a series of utterly non-responsive and tangential posts?

chessman 06-15-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swelfelo (Post 615461)
How the hell did the thread devolve from my question to a series of utterly non-responsive and tangential posts?

Sorry Swelfelo. You are right.

PROL 06-16-2014 01:51 PM

Your are right Swelfelo. Sorry.

To answer your question I had a VK-32 SE before my vi-53 SE. I can't make the comparison with the vi-52 SE but the improvement is great regarding the 32 SE. The rest of my system : amp : VK-255 SE ; Wilson audio Sophia 3, Wadia 381 cd player and Kubala Sosna Emotion cable.

Swelfelo 06-25-2014 11:01 PM

I Give Up

The question remains unanswered. I will restate it:

What is the difference in sound between the 52-SE and 53-SE? If there is an audible one, is it worth $6K?

If you have not auditioned both preamps and are not answering the question based upon your personal empirical experience, I truly do not care to read about a comparison of other unrelated equipment in my thread. Please start your own thread. Thank you for your anticipated courtesy.

Victor Khomenko 12-19-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swelfelo (Post 618416)

What is the difference in sound between the 52-SE and 53-SE? If there is an audible one, is it worth $6K?

From my, purely subjective, perspective, the difference is very obvious, you don't need to struggle to hear it. So far we have heard only positive reactions on the change - especially noticeable when people upgrade their units.

The transformers also totally eliminate any concerns about impedance matching with power amplifiers.

dubkarma 02-20-2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjski (Post 593062)
I'm also wondering if I should upgrade my 32SE to 33SE.

I'm wondering exactly the same thing. Is the investment worth it? Is it possible to describe in what areas performance is improved? Any such assessments are, of course, somewhat subjective and dependant on overall system synergy, but it would be great to hear from a listener who's gone from caps to output transformers.

chessman 02-20-2015 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubkarma (Post 676524)
I'm wondering exactly the same thing. Is the investment worth it? Is it possible to describe in what areas performance is improved? Any such assessments are, of course, somewhat subjective and dependant on overall system synergy, but it would be great to hear from a listener who's gone from caps to output transformers.

Since Victor Khomenko designed both amps and says there is an improvement I think you can be sure there is one. Whether the improvement is worth it to you is a subjective decision that only you can answer, which probably means auditioning them or accepting the risk.

Swelfelo 07-24-2015 08:04 PM

About to Find Out

I am very close to ordering the upgrade for my VK-52SE and will report on any differences I remember hearing when this is done and back in my system.

In the meantime, I will be listening to my VK-42SE, which, to be totally honest, I have never done. So this will be very interesting for me to compare tube against solid state preamps and the tubed upgrade for the last generation. BTW, there is now a VK-43SE but no indication on the company website if an upgrade path exists. When I call for an RMA number, I will inquire.

Cordially,

Swelfelo

chessman 07-24-2015 11:22 PM

I am eagerly awaiting your report. :)