AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Parasound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   Parasound Halo JC 3 Phono Preamp vs C2200 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=21038)

esweter 05-05-2013 08:32 PM

Parasound Halo JC 3 Phono Preamp vs C2200

Is the Parasound JC 3 going to be much better than what is in the C2200? I would like to upgrade my vinyl system, possibly the new Mac TT, but the issue is the C2200 only takes MM cartridges, severely limiting my choices. I really love that preamp and don't want to upgrade the whole preamp. Thus I am thinking about an outboard phono preamp, but if I'm going to do that, I would want to be sure it's a significant improvement to what's in the C2200. Has anybody heard both or have any thoughts? Thanks.

ChrisAZ 05-05-2013 08:41 PM

I can't judge the phono section of the C2200 for you against another phono preamp - too many variables including the cart. All I can say is that I've been really pleased with the Nova Phonomena and haven't used the MM phono preamp in my MA6600.

jdandy 05-05-2013 09:12 PM

Eric.......One of the problems I see with the Parasound JC3 phono preamp is the very limited cartridge loading capability. It allows 100 ohm or 47K ohm loading and that's it. Depending on what moving coil cartridge you select that may or may not be satisfactory and may even limit you cartridge selection.

MCenthusiast 05-05-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esweter (Post 488676)
Is the Parasound JC 3 going to be much better than what is in the C2200? I would like to upgrade my vinyl system, possibly the new Mac TT, but the issue is the C2200 only takes MM cartridges, severely limiting my choices. I really love that preamp and don't want to upgrade the whole preamp. Thus I am thinking about an outboard phono preamp, but if I'm going to do that, I would want to be sure it's a significant improvement to what's in the C2200. Has anybody heard both or have any thoughts? Thanks.

I wouldn't consider the Parasound with the C2200. Consider a step up transformer (SUT). These are intended to make an MC cartridge work with an MM input and can sound amazing. The device is installed between the tonearm cable and the MM input and provide passive amplification (nothing to plug in) of 30-40 db. Auditorium 23 makes SUT's that have received rave reviews and pair well with EMT and Denon 103 MC carts but there are many others.

DonBattles 05-05-2013 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm looking for an external phono stage myself and have read many positive reviews of the Parasound. As far as the phono section in your C2200 you have a few ways to work with what you have. Changing tubes, if you've not already done so should be high on your list. When I had my C220 I like NOS RCA Black plated and thought the new Gold Lion's were pretty good as well. You might also consider a phono step up transformer (SUT) which would allow you to run MC cartridges through your MM phone stage.

Just for fun here are the insides of the Parasound :drool:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...-c2200-jc3.jpg

DonBattles 05-05-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 488689)
Eric.......One of the problems I see with the Parasound JC3 phono preamp is the very limited cartridge loading capability. It allows 100 ohm or 47K ohm loading and that's it. Depending on what moving coil cartridge you select that may or may not be satisfactory and may even limit you cartridge selection.

Dan, a possible issue indeed :yes: But the Parasound has gotten some really great reviews. I'm thinking this plus a SUT might just be a formidable combo :scratch2:

esweter 05-05-2013 09:54 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have changed the tubes. The stock phono tubes were really noisy. Finally found some Telefunkens which are really quiet and probably the best or close to it as far as tubes go. I never considered a SUT and don't know much about them. The thing is, from what I understand, the C2200 is a great preamp, but the phono section is relatively limited. Of course its very hard to judge just hearing one thing in a dealer. I might see if I can get a loaner Parasound to try. That would be ideal, but not too many dealers in my neck of the woods.

Msegal 05-06-2013 12:11 AM

I heard the JC3 in an unfamiliar system. I was VERY unimpressed with the vinyl sound but found the digital excellent. I still believe tubes are needed in a phono stage to sound good at this price point. As mentioned the extremely limited loading options make this a nonstarter from the get go. You might be able to get it to sound good once but what if you change your cartridge, cable, turntable or speakers?

Mike S.

jdandy 05-06-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonBattles (Post 488698)
Dan, a possible issue indeed :yes: But the Parasound has gotten some really great reviews. I'm thinking this plus a SUT might just be a formidable combo :scratch2:

Don.......You may be right. The Parasound JC 3 is certainly beautifully constructed.

DonBattles 05-06-2013 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msegal (Post 488766)
I heard the JC3 in an unfamiliar system. I was VERY unimpressed with the vinyl sound but found the digital excellent. I still believe tubes are needed in a phono stage to sound good at this price point. As mentioned the extremely limited loading options make this a nonstarter from the get go. You might be able to get it to sound good once but what if you change your cartridge, cable, turntable or speakers?

Mike S.

Not sure I agree with the whole tubes are needed to get good sound and thing. It wouldn't be hard to find people who disagree. Now if you say you prefer a tube sound over SS then I can understand. Most tube products color the sound somewhat and that can be enhanced in either a positive or negative way by tune rolling.