AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audeze (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   LCD-X what's this crackling sound in my left ear? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41144)

Mouse 11-12-2017 02:12 AM

LCD-X what's this crackling sound in my left ear?

I got the LCD-X on the special sale they had recently. When I take off, put on, or just cough, and sometimes turn my head the left side has a crackle sound to it. Is this a common problem that needs a repair?

Masterlu 11-12-2017 02:16 AM

Not normal, or a common problem.

jdandy 11-12-2017 02:36 AM

Mouse.......Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the left and right channel cables from the headphone? Another test would be to swap the left and right channel connectors at the headphone to see if the problem follows the cable.

Mouse 11-12-2017 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 879115)
Mouse.......Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the left and right channel cables from the headphone? Another test would be to swap the left and right channel connectors at the headphone to see if the problem follows the cable.

Good idea. I did try reconnecting the cable earlier, but it didn't help. Swapping L and R channels per your recomendation didn't work. I suppose it isn't the cable at all.

jdandy 11-12-2017 02:50 AM

Mouse.......Might be time to contact Audeze.

Mouse 11-12-2017 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 879117)
Mouse.......Might be time to contact Audeze.

I emailed support an hour ago. I just thought I'd check with you guys too.

Mouse 11-13-2017 11:47 PM

They think crackling sound is fine.

Quote:

Thanks for your inquiry. Regarding the sound you mentioned: since air is trapped between your head and the ear cup it creates a pressure zone, and as the headphones shift with movement you may hear a slight crinkling sound from the diaphragm. This is a normal occurrence with planar magnetic drivers and is nothing to be concerned about, it's the sound of the thin diaphragm moving back and forth with the changes in air pressure.

Sometimes as the driver film stretches slightly with age, the sound can become more apparent, and sometimes it may also lessen again. This is mostly influenced by factors in your environment (such as temperature and humidity), and we don't have much control over whether or not this occurs.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you require additional assistance.

Best Regards
And when I asked about why this is in the left ear instead of the right....
Quote:

The issue is randomly occurring and can manifest to varying degrees, and I couldn't say what exactly is causing it to appear in the left ear rather than your right. If the sound is presenting an impairment to the overall sound quality, you could send your headphones in to us for inspection. If the inspection reveals the problem to be outside of our spec, we could look into replacing the drivers for you. In order to look into that option for you, I would need the following information:

Mouse 11-15-2017 01:11 AM

I sent them back for a return. I miss them already.
I may buy another pair and hope I get a good set.
They did offer to inspect it and repair it if necessary, but he also said it's normal so I'm at the mercy of the person inspecting my set to see if they think it's good enough. Meanwhile I'm stuck outside of the return policy and forced to keep crackling headphones.

edkoz 11-15-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 879109)
I got the LCD-X on the special sale they had recently. When I take off, put on, or just cough, and sometimes turn my head the left side has a crackle sound to it. Is this a common problem that needs a repair?

Does anyone else have this problem? I wonder if this is a common problem with the LCD-X or the LCD 2/3/4?
Ed

Masterlu 11-15-2017 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edkoz (Post 879726)
Does anyone else have this problem? I wonder if this is a common problem with the LCD-X or the LCD 2/3/4?
Ed

Ed... I own every single LCD model, I have never experienced or even heard of this before. :scratch2: