AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Remote Control (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Controlling Remote iTunes from OSX (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=17038)

redm 11-05-2012 02:17 PM

Controlling Remote iTunes from OSX

I know apple provides remote controls for iTunes on IOS devices but I cant seem to find any mechanism to remote control iTunes from inside OSX. Anyone have any luck with this? (other then Remote Desktop)

bakerman 11-05-2012 02:36 PM

So you basically want to control a headless Mac Mini with another Mac computer right?

redm 11-05-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerman (Post 389292)
So you basically want to control a headless Mac Mini with another Mac computer right?

Exactly, without using Remote Desktop, something like the "Remote" app apple provides for IOS. The app is great, but on an iphone its limited in its capabilities.

mbovaird 11-05-2012 02:44 PM

I'm only going from memory....will check from home when I can.

Stupid iPad app...

Sorry...go to finder, click on connect to server. Enter IP of Mac mini. Enter username/password. You should be good to go.

redm 11-05-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird
I'm only going from memory....will check from home when I can.

Stupid iPad app...

Sorry...go to finder, click on connect to server. Enter IP of Mac mini. Enter username/password. You should be good to go.

Isn't that just a file share? I want to remote control iTunes, how does a file share help?

bakerman 11-05-2012 02:48 PM

You can just use screen sharing. On your Mini go into System Prefs -> Sharing and turn on screen sharing. I think at this time you can put in a password for protection. On the Mac that you want to use as the controller, under Finder click on "Go" and select "Computer". In the left column under shared you will see your Mini. Click on it and you will see a "Share Screen" button in the grey column on the right. Click on that, insert your password and you should be up and running.

mbovaird 11-05-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerman
You can just use screen sharing. On your Mini go into System Prefs -> Sharing and turn on screen sharing. I think at this time you can put in a password for protection. On the Mac that you want to use as the controller, under Finder click on "Go" and select "Computer". In the left column under shared you will see your Mini. Click on it and you will see a "Share Screen" button in the grey column on the right. Click on that, insert your password and you should be up and running.

That's it! Sorry, was going by memory.

bakerman 11-05-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 389307)
That's it! Sorry, was going by memory.

Pretty good memory! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kenkirk 11-05-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerman (Post 389305)

This is what I do when I need to really get into Itunes from another mac. But most of the time I use my Ipad with Remote Control. The only issue I have noticed is that if I forget to close screen sharing before closing the lid on my macbook, when I open up the macbook later, it is very pissed. Usually needs a reboot. Very Windows like. :yes: It might just be my Macbook. But I have never been able to sort it out.

Ken

redm 11-05-2012 02:57 PM

Yeah I don't want Remote Desktop or screen sharing, I was hoping for a standalone app