AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Marantz (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Marantz SA-10 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38841)

GSOphile 08-26-2020 07:51 AM

It's not an accident that the center of the CD/SACD player universe is Japan, where the physical media is still very popular.

anoutsos 02-24-2021 05:14 PM

Can someone comment on the differences, if any, between SA-10’s reproduction via the disc player and the asynchronous USB connected to a computer? I hear very nice things about the player and I would like to have a SA-10/PM-10 pair one day, but I’m worried that without an extensive SACD collection I would be using the less optimised part of a very expensive component. Also, does the SA-10 support playback of SACD images burnt on DVD-R? Thanks.

Masterlu 02-24-2021 06:18 PM

anoutsos... Welcome to AA! :wave:

rnrmf1971 02-24-2021 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anoutsos (Post 1033372)
Can someone comment on the differences, if any, between SA-10’s reproduction via the disc player and the asynchronous USB connected to a computer? I hear very nice things about the player and I would like to have a SA-10/PM-10 pair one day, but I’m worried that without an extensive SACD collection I would be using the less optimised part of a very expensive component. Also, does the SA-10 support playback of SACD images burnt on DVD-R? Thanks.

It's the best CD player I've owned for compact discs. It doesn't have the smoothed over detail of DSD conversion that my Lumin streamer has or Esoteric K-01X had. I haven't used the usb input but the coaxial and optical inputs are on par with disc playback and I read at least one review (either of a streamer or perhaps an SA-10 review) that utilized the usb input that described playback as without faults.

It's essential to try the filters/noise shaping/dither settings once you get time on the player. I have my favorites and you might find settings that better suit your taste instead of the default options.

anoutsos 02-25-2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1033377)
anoutsos... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Thank you, @Masterlu! :welcome3:

anoutsos 02-25-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 1033413)
It's the best CD player I've owned for compact discs. It doesn't have the smoothed over detail of DSD conversion that my Lumin streamer has or Esoteric K-01X had. I haven't used the usb input but the coaxial and optical inputs are on par with disc playback and I read at least one review (either of a streamer or perhaps an SA-10 review) that utilized the usb input that described playback as without faults.

It's essential to try the filters/noise shaping/dither settings once you get time on the player. I have my favorites and you might find settings that better suit your taste instead of the default options.

That's great! Thanks. I am seriously considering it for a future system, but I think room treatments are a priority. And do you find that you use the disc tray much, given that you can digitise all your collection and just use your streamer? This is the one thing that I'm in two minds about – i.e. paying for functionality I will rarely use. Although, I must say having the option to just pop in a cd/sacd is quite convenient sometimes.

rnrmf1971 02-25-2021 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anoutsos (Post 1033454)
That's great! Thanks. I am seriously considering it for a future system, but I think room treatments are a priority. And do you find that you use the disc tray much, given that you can digitise all your collection and just use your streamer? This is the one thing that I'm in two minds about – i.e. paying for functionality I will rarely use. Although, I must say having the option to just pop in a cd/sacd is quite convenient sometimes.

I've had a problem buying compact discs that's continued for 35 years so I spin them, often!
I have most of them burned, too, but I still play them as I get them and don't add to the digitized library regularly.
For the last month or two I've mostly played discs, actually. Otherwise it might be 60/40 in favor of streaming.