AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Marantz (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Marantz 2245 Back in Action (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=4629)

JFR0317 06-05-2010 08:51 PM

Marantz 2245 Back in Action

I just got my 1975 vintage Marantz 2245 back from Marvin Electronics in Ft. Worth. It had been sitting in a box in my garage for the last ten years, so when Marvin Electronics came down in April to install my new projector upstairs, I sent the 2245 back with them to give it a thorough going-over. We finally made it back to Dallas last weekend for a wedding, so of course we had to stop off at Marvin's on the way! They had replaced all of the display bulbs and three capacitors, plus they did a general cleaning of all controls, interior, etc.

I just got it hooked up today in my study with my new GODAR FM1A antenna (thanks, Dan & Ivan for the recommendation! Excellent!:thumbsup:), a Sonos ZP-90 (my fourth), and my B&W Nautilus 805's (which were recently replaced in my downstairs Den zone with 805 Diamonds). I'm still waiting on my new B&W stands for the Nautilus 805's, so no pictures until the stands arrive. I promise I will post some as soon as the stands are in place. For now, a couple of high tech paste-board boxes are doing temporary duty as stands (advanced vibration damping properties, no doubt:D).

This is so cool to be using one of my first real hi-fi components again (I bought the 2245 new in 1975). The study system sounds outstanding!:thumbsup:

jdandy 06-05-2010 09:19 PM

John.......That is very cool. New life for an old flame. Gotta love it. :thumbsup:

http://www.siamac.de/aumatt/images/2245champ032.jpg

JFR0317 06-05-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 86665)
John.......That is very cool. New life for an old flame. Gotta love it. :thumbsup:

http://www.siamac.de/aumatt/images/2245champ032.jpg

Exactly, Dan! Brings back so many great memories!:thumbsup:

Vintage Pete 06-05-2010 10:34 PM

I just LOVE the Marantz gear from this time period. My first "true" component stereo amplifier was a Marantz 1030. I bought it when I was 13 years old. I still have it.

Pete

JFR0317 06-05-2010 11:23 PM

Good stuff, Pete! I agree!:thumbsup:

ehoove 06-06-2010 05:17 AM

You really have to admire the look of that series. I have owned the 2230, 2245, and 2270. All very nice receivers, which all would make a wonderful nucleus of a study or den system. It is always rewarding to enjoy a piece from the past after an update. Enjoy the memories it brings back, and of course the warm rich music those units are capable of.:music:
Regards,
Jim

JFR0317 06-06-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehoove (Post 86708)
You really have to admire the look of that series. I have owned the 2230, 2245, and 2270. All very nice receivers, which all would make a wonderful nucleus of a study or den system. It is always rewarding to enjoy a piece from the past after an update. Enjoy the memories it brings back, and of course the warm rich music those units are capable of.:music:
Regards,
Jim

Thanks, Jim!:thumbsup:

Vintage Pete 06-06-2010 08:31 AM

There was a store in upstate New York where I grew up called Federal Electronics. They had the whole fleet of Marantz receivers and some of the amps. You just couldn't keep me out of the place! I'd spend hours and hours in there admiring the Marantz gear, along with JBL speakers. I couldn't afford the JBL's then, and my first Marantz amp I mail ordered from an outfit in Maryland called Baltimore Stereo Wholesalers, later to be called Stereo Discounters. Another top contender for my first system was the Fisher TX-50 Integrated amp. Fisher was also a very respected name "back in the day".

Pete

schaefer11 06-06-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 86721)
There was a store in upstate New York where I grew up called Federal Electronics. They had the whole fleet of Marantz receivers and some of the amps. You just couldn't keep me out of the place! I'd spend hours and hours in there admiring the Marantz gear, along with JBL speakers. I couldn't afford the JBL's then, and my first Marantz amp I mail ordered from an outfit in Maryland called Baltimore Stereo Wholesalers, later to be called Stereo Discounters. Another top contender for my first system was the Fisher TX-50 Integrated amp. Fisher was also a very respected name "back in the day".

Pete

From the late 70's to mid eighties I bought all of my stuff from Stereo Wholesalers/Discounters. They were by far the biggest retailer locally. I was a Technics fan at the time.

Vintage Pete 06-06-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schaefer11 (Post 86729)
From the late 70's to mid eighties I bought all of my stuff from Stereo Wholesalers/Discounters. They were by far the biggest retailer locally. I was a Technics fan at the time.

Yes, they were around a long time, and they offered good prices. I bought a pretty good amount of gear from them in the 70's.

Pete