AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Logitech Harmony end-of-manufacture (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49800)

W9TR 04-19-2021 10:16 AM

Logitech Harmony end-of-manufacture

Long rumored, now real. Logitech is ending production of its Harmony line of remotes.

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/co.../1500000658341

Hopefully they will open source their SW assets like they did with LMS.

Tom

Cohibaman 04-19-2021 12:27 PM

Oh man! If they don’t, I will become a Luddite.

W9TR 04-19-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 1037049)
Oh man! If they don’t, I will become a Luddite.

I know. I might have to scrounge a few more Phillips Pronto remotes. Or head into the 21st century!

The big concern here is if they stop their support and kill the web portion of the system it all falls apart. The lighting and blinds integrations are web based, as are the software and configuration tools.

bart 04-19-2021 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 1037065)
I know. I might have to scrounge a few more Phillips Pronto remotes. Or head into the 21st century!

The big concern here is if they stop their support and kill the web portion of the system it all falls apart. The lighting and blinds integrations are web based, as are the software and configuration tools.

This is exactly why we didn't go for a 'smart home'.
We wanted to maintain full control over those basic functions.

Antonmb 04-19-2021 09:59 PM

I’m guessing my Harmony One will continue to work as long as I don’t add new exotic equipment to my HT.

audioguy3107 04-19-2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 1037092)
I’m guessing my Harmony One will continue to work as long as I don’t add new exotic equipment to my HT.

Tony - I was thinking the same thing, I love my basic Harmony for the theater. It’s always worked perfectly. I would think as long as we don’t do any updates and don’t add anything new it’ll continue to work just fine.

- Buck

W9TR 04-20-2021 08:50 AM

From my perspective there are two troubling things about this announcement.

The first is that there is no equivalent product out there that doesn’t require a professional install.

The second is that much of what Harmony does is dependent on web functionality. All the third party shading and lighting interfaces are enabled via web based API’s, as is the programming and device database.

As long as Logitech maintains these assets everything will work. But, why would they? No revenue, only expense and the SW development and support team in India won’t be around forever.

gadawg 04-20-2021 02:23 PM

Is no one buying these remotes any longer? I have used mine for quite a while.

George

Antonmb 04-20-2021 03:26 PM

Logitech Harmony end-of-manufacture

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 1037112)
Is no one buying these remotes any longer? I have used mine for quite a while.

George

Harmony was focused on the mid-level home theater or tv system market - the family with a den and several remotes on the coffee table that didn’t play well together. In the last few years I suspect several things have happened to this market:

1) manufacturers are getting better at ergonomics and making their remotes able to control multiple components
2) more equipment is Wi-Fi or Ethernet enabled and controllable via apps, and conversely more people are using their phones to control their equipment.
3) the mid-level market is going more to sound bars and simpler systems with fewer boxes, while the upper end of the market is going more to custom installations with installer-supplied control systems.
4) Logitech in general is focusing more on its core strength of computer peripherals, and extending that into the adjacent fast-growing video conferencing market.

Jack in Wilmington 04-20-2021 09:42 PM

I just bought a Harmony Companion for the family room and let the wife keep the Verizon and Denon remotes. I also have a Harmony Touch in my audio/video room. I'd hate to see them go under.