AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   ADD-Powr (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   I don't understand it.... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49386)

Vintage Pete 01-14-2021 08:53 PM

I don't understand it....

Years ago, I was a bit of a skeptic on how much impact the various power-delivery products (AC filters, regenerators, and so on) could have on a high-end system. But I have gradually become a big believer, to my own surprise. In the last few years, along with other tweaks (cabling, etc) I've added one AC power regenerator, then upgraded that, and more recently added a Furutech Flux-50 NCF at the inlet of my PS Audio P12 regenerator. I was pretty floored by the impact that device had.

Add Add-Powr products, a relatively unknown (to me, anyway) company that I just learned of on this site less than a year ago. The reviews have been very positive, and I'd discussed them with Ivan a number of times. Based on his recommendations, I became "curiouser and curiouser". In particular, the Wizard seemed to be the hot topic, in terms of return on investment without a huge outlay. Since I do have some other commitments at the moment, Ivan offered to send me one of Add-Powr's very small but (said to be) surprisingly effective products, the Eau 2 Electra-clear. This little cylindrical device is about 1" diameter, and is maybe 3" long, and simply plugs into the wall on the circuit that powers your system. I said okay, send me one!

It's been one week since I "installed" this little guy on my main system. I have to say, I'm surprised once again. Here's a very small and inexpensive device that seems to have improved my system's dimensionality, focus and definition even more, when I really didn't think I could do much better. After all, you would think that once you have a good AC regenerator online, that should be it. It doesn't make sense to me, I really don't know how it works, but within a couple of days I have decided that the Electra-clear stays. Bass seems clearer, and more well defined. Separation between instruments seems greater. It's not "night and day" effect like changing out a major component might have; but it is notable. And, I'm not sure I would characterize the difference as "subtle" either. I'm not the type to do quick "a-b" comparisons with this type of device; I believe one has to live with the product installed for a few days minimum. I trust my ears to make the determination. And my ears are telling me that this product is a "go". I find myself wanting to park in that chair more and more, as these tweaks take me deeper and deeper into the music.

I don't really understand what is going on here...as Ivan would say, it is "goofy". But, the Electra-clear stays.

I give the Electra-clear two thumbs up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...deac4b6a_b.jpg

cohsystms 01-26-2021 12:55 AM

Hi Pete,
I read with interest your comments with the eau2 (electraclear audiophile unit II) in your system. This is not a power filter but an AC harmonic resonance generator.
Please indulge me now: ADD-Powr is about adding harmonic energy to the power line, power supplies, and the audio signal itself. The eau2 uses the AC 60 Hz to generate patterns of square waves that are reflected upon the AC line. The eminent 18th century physicist, Fourier, discovered that square waves are composed of sine waves of various harmonic frequencies.
The tiny square waves imposed upon the AC are too low in frequency to be filtered by your component power supplies. Thus, the patterns get through to the DC reference, or AC reference ( in the case of tube amps). Remember, the square waves contain sine waves starting from a low frequency harmonic under 60 Hz and scale up in frequency into the audio range. They decrease in intensity going higher in the audio range.
Okay, so what? The key is that these sine wave harmonics will resonate with whatever frequencies are being processed and amplified by the component (amp, pre-amp, DAC, etc.) - that is, the audio program input signal.
Resonance means that when something is vibrating at a certain frequency comes into contact with another thing of like frequency, then there is an increase in energy from this interaction. Resonance occurs in the audio program material because there are like frequencies interacting with it from the power supply reference.
Therefore, all of the audio signal, including harmonics that were hardly audible, now become more prominent because of resonance! This is what the eau2 does.
Do you start to understand and get the idea?

Thanks for your kind comments.

Bill

tdelahanty 01-26-2021 10:39 AM

This device looks remarkably similar to Nordost's QV2 which also claims to be an AC line harmonizer.

audio bill 01-26-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdelahanty (Post 1030513)
This device looks remarkably similar to Nordost's QV2 which also claims to be an AC line harmonizer.

Actually they are closely related in that they both use technology developed by Bill Stierhout. His initial designs were marketed under the Quantum Products label using Quantum Resonance Technology. In 2008 Nordost purchased Quantum Products and used the technology is several of their power products. Bill's company Coherence Systems later introduced their ADD-Powr™️ product line which incorporates their latest developments in the field.
https://add-powr.com/about

US Blues 01-26-2021 12:48 PM

Pete- I recently added an eau2 to my system and I am hearing the same positive changes that you are, and my flat screen picture has improved as well.

I'll add that, to my ears in my system, the sound field has become more focused and three-dimensional.

Having purchased mine from Add-Powr as B-stock last Fall the ROI is silly good. :thumbsup:

cohsystms 01-26-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdelahanty (Post 1030513)

Thanks for your comments, audio bill.

Bill
ADD-POWR /
Coherence Systems, mfgr.

cohsystms 01-26-2021 07:05 PM

Glad to hear that, US Blues, esp. the comments regarding the flat screen.

Bill
ADD-POWR

Vintage Pete 01-26-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cohsystms (Post 1030495)
Hi Pete,
I read with interest your comments with the eau2 (electraclear audiophile unit II) in your system. This is not a power filter but an AC harmonic resonance generator.
Please indulge me now: ADD-Powr is about adding harmonic energy to the power line, power supplies, and the audio signal itself. The eau2 uses the AC 60 Hz to generate patterns of square waves that are reflected upon the AC line. The eminent 18th century physicist, Fourier, discovered that square waves are composed of sine waves of various harmonic frequencies.
The tiny square waves imposed upon the AC are too low in frequency to be filtered by your component power supplies. Thus, the patterns get through to the DC reference, or AC reference ( in the case of tube amps). Remember, the square waves contain sine waves starting from a low frequency harmonic under 60 Hz and scale up in frequency into the audio range. They decrease in intensity going higher in the audio range.
Okay, so what? The key is that these sine wave harmonics will resonate with whatever frequencies are being processed and amplified by the component (amp, pre-amp, DAC, etc.) - that is, the audio program input signal.
Resonance means that when something is vibrating at a certain frequency comes into contact with another thing of like frequency, then there is an increase in energy from this interaction. Resonance occurs in the audio program material because there are like frequencies interacting with it from the power supply reference.
Therefore, all of the audio signal, including harmonics that were hardly audible, now become more prominent because of resonance! This is what the eau2 does.
Do you start to understand and get the idea?

Thanks for your kind comments.

Bill

Bill.....thanks for that explanation. It's really surprising how some of these power delivery tweaks can produce remarkable results, and the Electra-Clear is no exception. It may have improved my flat screen performance as well, though I confess I've been paying more attention with my ears than my eyes. At some point, I may move into the Wizard....but gosh, my audio goal list is fast becoming a "scroll" once again!

Thanks again Bill....we're glad you're here! :yes:

aclearspot 03-07-2021 02:55 PM

Eau2

Funny how something so small can make a change. My ELO compilation cd "Strange Magic" was flat and lifeless . This little device gave life to the cd, it made it fun to listen too

Masterlu 03-07-2021 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aclearspot (Post 1034300)
Funny how something so small can make a change. My ELO compilation cd "Strange Magic" was flat and lifeless . This little device gave life to the cd, it made it fun to listen too

Big brother is coming... :naughty: