AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Acoustic Sciences Corporation (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   What Tube Traps really do! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=4833)

Masterlu 06-24-2010 10:15 PM

What Tube Traps really do!

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a simple yet informative explanation.

howiebrou 06-24-2010 11:34 PM

Good one! :thumbsup:

vego99 03-22-2011 10:03 AM

My listening room could probably benefit from some room treatment. Does anyone have a good source where I can read up and see where I should start?

Thanks

-e

m.tonetti 03-22-2011 11:22 AM

The Acoustic Treatment with DAAD (Diffusion Absorption Acoustic Devices) of Acustica Applicata.

A very interesting and complete manual: DAAD User Manual

Kal Rubinson 03-22-2011 11:44 AM

RealTraps - Acoustics Articles Lots of general information
studiotips - tips on studio design, acoustics, and wiring A goldmine of information

vego99 03-22-2011 11:55 AM

Thanks Guys!

djwhog 03-22-2011 12:47 PM

Well there is a reason why on my hi boxes I mount them suspended with hangers, you do not have near as much stand and floor interference with the sound wave rings.

placement and acoustics are a big part of any total package.

Rmac 02-24-2012 11:58 AM

I have much reading and processing to do!

Thanks for the links all.

10Beers 02-24-2012 12:06 PM

Master Handbook of Acoustics - F. Alton Everest LINK

dtb300 02-24-2012 12:56 PM

One of the best improvements for the lowest cost I have done for my rig and my room - Room Treatments.

My setup is in a partial basement, so there is concrete ALL around me. I call it my Audio Bunker!!! :) Talk about room gain for the low end, and reflections??!!??!!

So in the end I have 23 absorption panels (GIK and DIY) and 4 Diffusors. For the low end I used to have +/- 20dB swings in response and after all the treatments, my low end now only has +/- 5dB's of swing. The bass is far less boomy and most comment how well my low end sounds. Along with the improvement in the bass and mid-bass areas the mids and highs also got cleaned up (less comb filtering, late reflections, etc.) and is detailed but not edgy or bright.

Best thing IMO is traps in all four corners of your room, floor to ceiling, if your significant other (if you have one) also approves. And then first reflection points after that.

GIK Acoustics (Glenn & Brian) or Real Traps (Ethan) are great people to deal with and will be more than glad to help you with your room and what treatments they would suggest using. This is even before you purchase any of their products.

Alberto 02-24-2012 01:34 PM

Not to take anything away from Tube Traps and similar products, but one thing that the description does not seem to take into account is that many (most?) speaker manufacturers take the "backward projections" of the bass into account when they design the speaker and the cross-over.

I had a set of 6 bass traps in my room and they did have an effect, but it was not as pronounced as I was hoping (I measured it with a very good hw+sw spectrum/sweep analyzer.

If they were smaller and less obtrusive in design (I know it's hard to do given the physics of the wavelengths at which they have to operate), I would probably still have them but I did not like the way my room looked with them so out they went.

With a nice dedicated room designed to take them into account (like PHC1) they look very nice however.

Alberto

kach22i 05-30-2020 11:47 AM

I seem to recall tubetraps in dipolar panel loudspeaker setups.

There must be an article on that as well.

Visually they look good stacked in my opinion, but they often recommend stacking diffetent diameters together and then the aesthetics fall apart.

Tim Link 06-01-2020 02:33 PM

Tube Trap Explanation

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 90175)
Here is a simple yet informative explanation.

Tube Traps do benefit dipole speakers as well. As a matter of fact, the first Tube Traps Art made were specifically requested to go behind some Magnepans at our local hifi dealer, Bradford's. That was before he had any idea he'd be selling them in large numbers some day.
There are a variety of things that TubeTraps can do. One is they damp the bass resonances in the room, quieting them down more quickly which results in improved clarity. This can be measured using our MATT test. A C50 test in REW may also show this improvement. This can be heard and measured with as few as four 13" x 3' TubeTraps in the front corners of the room.

Other possible benefits include high frequency diffusion and absorption of first reflection points to improve imaging, along with use of a center trap to adjust center image focus.

Mike-48 11-27-2020 01:05 PM

It's the reverb time

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto (Post 273358)
[...]I had a set of 6 bass traps in my room and they did have an effect, but it was not as pronounced as I was hoping (I measured it with a very good hw+sw spectrum/sweep analyzer.[...]

I've done some measuring, too, and I've never seen more than a 1-2 dB change from using bass traps.

Yet they make the sound better -- a LOT better -- by reducing and evening the reverberation time. That's what bass trapping really helps with, IME.

PHC1 11-27-2020 01:21 PM

Tube traps in corners, in the conventional rectangular/square rooms=Tighter focused/more palpable center imaging and on recordings with hard L/R panned material, the instruments are also better fleshed out/more palpable outside the boundaries of speakers. Has anyone heard speakers projecting images that appear to break the physical boundaries of the room both L/R and beyond the front listening wall? You never will without treated corners.

When I was a college student and could not afford tube traps, I asked a female friend to sew me a “sleeve” of material that I then stuffed with acoustic speaker filling and pinned it to the corners of the room, floor to ceiling with matching triangular “pillows” for wall/ceiling corners. Huge improvement in coherence and focus. Artificial plants on stands in strategic places to tame early reflections did the trick. It was a very good sounding room with very little $$$ expenditure.

brownbear 02-17-2021 02:51 PM

I just installed a pair of Iso-Thermal Tube Traps in my front corners and all I can say is WOW! I just went with a pair of 3 footers to start so I'm only covering the bottom of the corners. I must have had some serious bad bass waves leaking into the corners because it is now tightened down nicely and allows those beautiful mids to shine even more. I can't believe I waited this long, but I have a long front wall where the corners and side walls are far from my speakers. I thought it wasn't coming into play, boy was I wrong. I'm a happy camper right now.

Weirdcuba 02-18-2021 10:31 PM

I added floor to ceiling iso thermals in my room and it made a HUGE difference. Well worth it (although those things aren’t cheap).