AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Focal Sopra 1’s or Dynaudio Confidence C1’s? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47278)

Strojo 12-16-2019 09:23 PM

Focal Sopra 1’s or Dynaudio Confidence C1’s?

A new pair of discontinued color Sopra 1’s are the same price as a used pair of Dynaudio C1 platinums.

Which would you choose and why?

Formerly YB-2 12-17-2019 09:04 AM

Having never owned Dynaudio speakers, I can only say that the pairs I've listened to at shows were always underwhelming. Especially their top-end monitors. Having owned a pair of the previous generation Focal 1008BeIIs, it remains the favorite of the monitor speakers I've had in my system. Having listened to the Sopra speakers at my nearest dealer, I've heard no reason to change my thinking. Also, the Sopra is more than twice as efficient & at 8ohm, a much easier speaker to drive than is the Dynaudio, making it friendly to a much wider range of amps (tube or solid-state). And, if you measure your high-end gear "by the pound" (not unreasonable), then the Sopra weighs close to twice what the Dyaudio weighs. Both have stunning build quality. But, would be Sopra for me.

Projectman 12-17-2019 10:06 AM

I have owned the Focal Sopra 1s for almost three years. Very happy and combined with or without a good subwoofer they sound fantastic. I have never heard Dynaudio speakers so can't make the comparison.

mcpaf76 12-17-2019 12:13 PM

Just to chime in a bit, I own Focal Sopra 3s and Dynaudio Contour 20s. Not an apples to apple comparison, but I have an idea of each brands sound signature. The Focals lean towards the more detailed end while the Dynaudios have a more relaxed feel, with the tweeter being slightly smoother. I don't feel either system is lacking and both would probably sound great for you. My advice would be listen to speakers as close as possible to those specific models if you can.

Puma Cat 12-17-2019 02:37 PM

Well, I'm going to respectfully offer a counterpoint to Glenn, and say that having owned Dynaudios (Contour S3.4s) for over a decade, I'll go on record stating that, IMHO, Dynaudio is one of the finest loudspeaker manufacturers in the world. Their drivers are all designed and manufactured in-house, and many other loudspeaker manufacturers have OEM sourced drivers from Dynaudio, not least of which were Wilson, EgglestonWorks, Vienna Acoustics, Totem and many others.

Dynaudios are consistently very neutral, but that does not mean they are cool or analytical; they are...accurate. They are also very easy to listen to for hours on end, they will never drive you out of the room, something I cannot say for some Focal speakers I've experienced. They also scale incredibly fast and you will never, ever hear a Dyn "break up" during scaling.

The Dynaudio Esotar tweeters are regarded by many reviewers, owners and manufacturers as one of the finest tweeters ever made, and are a key differentiator for Dynaudio.

As for the Confidence C1 Platinum, this is one of the finest standmount speakers ever made by anyone. They have superb accuracy, transparency, speed, neutrality, outstanding imaging and impressive bass and lower octave response for a standmount loudspeaker. While they are a (large) standmount, they have a performance envelope comparable to a floorstander.

Also, and this should not be overlooked, is the post-sale support and service one can get from Dynaudio North America, evne if you are not the original purchaser. If you ever need a replacement part or driver, Dynaudio makes parts available for 10 years after a product is discontinued, and if you still need a part after that, because Dyn manufactures their own drivers, they will make a single driver for you.

Just my 2¢, take it for what its worth, but if its a choice between a Confidence C1 Platinum and Focal, that's an easy one for me (and yes, I am biased from the 10+ years of very satisfying Dynaudio ownership! ;)).

Strojo 12-17-2019 02:38 PM

Are any of you using subs with your 1's or are you happy with the level of bass? I have the 1028be's now and am concerned I'll be taking a step backwards going to a set of bookshelfs (without introducing a sub into the mix). While I'm not a basshead by any means, I like it when it's there. :-)

Puma Cat 12-17-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strojo (Post 989305)
Are any of you using subs with your 1's or are you happy with the level of bass? I have the 1028be's now and am concerned I'll be taking a step backwards going to a set of bookshelfs (without introducing a sub into the mix). While I'm not a basshead by any means, I like it when it's there. :-)

I can't speak for the Sopra 1's but you will most definitely NOT be going backwards with a set of C1 Platinums; this is not a bookshelf speaker. It is a large reference-level standmount. I've known many owners that bought them thinking they would add a sub, only to find out that bass response is so good from a C1 that they didn't need to add a sub...FWIW.

Formerly YB-2 12-17-2019 07:04 PM

If you like your 1028s as much as I did my 1008s, then the Sopra would seem a natural progression (that is what I should have done).

Strojo 02-07-2020 05:22 PM

Had a chance to listen to the C1 Platinums, the new C20's and the Sopra 1's today at a local dealer. I did the Dyn's first, and thought they sounded good (the C20's only slightly better than the model they replaced). Then I had them put the Sopra 1's in and it validated that I am a bigger fan of the Focal house sound than I am the Dynaudio sound. I prefer the extra sparkle from the Sopra's that I don't think the Dyn's deliver. YMMV.

Formerly YB-2 02-07-2020 11:16 PM

Could not agree more. I've never heard a pair of Dyn's that I wanted to take home and have never listened to a pair of Focal's that did not 'light my fire'. Your 'extra sparkle' description is a good one.

Projectman 02-08-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strojo (Post 989305)

I do use a sub with my Sopra 1’s and it is an improvement. While the 1’s are big for a bookshelf speaker and have nice bass, I believe you would find the addition of a good sub setup properly would add enjoyment to the 1’s or any speakers for that matter.

By the way my previous speakers were Wilson Sophia II’s and I have never regretted moving to the 1’s.

Puma Cat 02-08-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 994728)
Could not agree more. I've never heard a pair of Dyn's that I wanted to take home and have never listened to a pair of Focal's that did not 'light my fire'. Your 'extra sparkle' description is a good one.

Well, that's what make this hobby fun and interesting. We have different requirements and sensibilities, and that's fine. Personally, regarding these two mfrs of speakers, I've felt the opposite...I've never heard a pair of Focals that's I've enjoyed, or in some cases, didn't drive me from the room. So....YMMV.

So, while I am confident there are many dedicated and satisfied Focal owners, the same is true of Dynaudio.

Also, I think its important to acknowledge that one cannot get a truly accurate impression of any given speaker without taking the specific system into account, and most importantly, the room into the equation. The room, by far, has the biggest impact on how a pair of speakers will sound. This is because there is a functional interaction between the speaker and the room. And audio show hotel rooms are not the place to be making final decisions about speakers, either, IMHO.

Formerly YB-2 02-09-2020 11:08 PM

Indeed........ that is why Dynaudio and Focal (and all the other speaker vendors) are still in business. We all hear what we hear and, thankfully, it is different.

will 03-13-2020 09:43 PM

Comparing the two house sounds, and solely within that context, Focal is leaner and more detailed. Dynaudio is thicker and warmer.

RHMMMM 03-15-2020 09:36 AM

I love both. I’ve had 4 pairs of Focal and two pairs of Dynaudio:

My speaker history goes:
JMLab Electra 906 (sold)
Dynaudio Contour S3.4 (sold)
Dynaudio Confidence C1 (sold)
Focal Micro Utopia Be (Office Speaker, had at same time as C1’s) (sold)
Focal Scala Utopia V2’s
Focal Diablo Utopia (purchased for apartment but now in storage)

I’m currently using my Scalas.

I love the sound of both Focal and Dynaudio, however Puma Cat is right about the bass. The C1’s have PLENTY where as the Focal standmount options need a sub. They’re both detailed but in different ways. The Scalas are the first ones I’ve owned that have enough bass and aren’t harsh with high frequency. The Electras and Micro Utopia Be were too harsh (Micro less so) but I didn’t find them great with ALL kinds of music like the C1’s were. I recently downsized and bought the Diablos because I thought the Scalas were too big for my LA apartment. The are great and improve on the past issues I had with leanness in the Focal stand mounts. I still missed the fullness of the Scalas and so brought them back out of storage and try not to play them too loudly.

My black Diablos w/stands are in storage and I need to sell them as they’re just sitting. DM me if interested. I’m in LA.

will 09-19-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHMMMM (Post 998481)
I love both. I’ve had 4 pairs of Focal and two pairs of Dynaudio:

My speaker history goes:
JMLab Electra 906 (sold)
Dynaudio Contour S3.4 (sold)
Dynaudio Confidence C1 (sold)
Focal Micro Utopia Be (Office Speaker, had at same time as C1’s) (sold)
Focal Scala Utopia V2’s
Focal Diablo Utopia (purchased for apartment but now in storage)

I’m currently using my Scalas.

I love the sound of both Focal and Dynaudio, however Puma Cat is right about the bass. The C1’s have PLENTY where as the Focal standmount options need a sub. They’re both detailed but in different ways. The Scalas are the first ones I’ve owned that have enough bass and aren’t harsh with high frequency. The Electras and Micro Utopia Be were too harsh (Micro less so) but I didn’t find them great with ALL kinds of music like the C1’s were. I recently downsized and bought the Diablos because I thought the Scalas were too big for my LA apartment. The are great and improve on the past issues I had with leanness in the Focal stand mounts. I still missed the fullness of the Scalas and so brought them back out of storage and try not to play them too loudly.

My black Diablos w/stands are in storage and I need to sell them as they’re just sitting. DM me if interested. I’m in LA.

I have Diablo Utopias in my listening room and C1s in my living room. FWIW, the Utopias integrate in my listening room better than the C1s did. I have a small listening room, but the bass coming from the Utopias is flatter, smoother, more tuneful, even deeper than the Dyns. I just played the 20th anniversary edition CD of Soundgarden's Superunknown, and the bass, while not chest-kicking, sounded deep and thunderous.

I listened to the Micro Utopia BE years ago, and the treble was extremely detailed but fatiguing. I think Focal learned from that, and the Diablos have an extremely balanced presentation as a result. The Diablos are not lean at all, to me, though someone used to the Dynaudio sound will find them that way. They're just cleaner. Comparing the tweeters, the Estoar2 definitely is sweeter, while the Be tweeter is clean, slightly thinner, but also much more transparent. There's more sparkle. Cymbal taps are mesmerizing.

Someone going from the house Dyn sound to the Focal sound will experience somewhat of a shock because they've gotten to warm, thicker presentation and are going to a more transparent and cleaner one. In comparison, the C1 is actually more forward, the Diablo more laid back, as a result. And the Diablo midrange is notches better than the C1. Like Windex to a window. This is my personal experience, so YMMV.

And something happened over the past few days that felt strange enough for me to post about it. Over those days, the Diablos seemed to lose sensitivity, about 1.5 dB, or 1-2 clicks on the on the volume of my preamp. But after that, everything coming from the speakers exploded, like they've fully broken in, while I'm back to my normal/usual gain on my preamp.

jayvis1 09-20-2020 10:25 AM

I'm assuming that you're considering the Sopra 1 because of a downsize in listening room size? If not, I doubt if you'll notice an upgrade in sound quality over your 1028be's. In fact, I'd consider it to be a downgrade, especially without a good powered subwoofer. I'm running my 1028be's in a fairly large and open room and use an REL sub to get the more substantial bass output that I want. The 1028's alone are no slouch when it comes to accurate bass output, but the whole system sounds bigger and less strained with my sub.