AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Pass Labs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Pass 260.8 v Pass 600.5? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=52086)

Electricboogaloo 03-11-2023 12:11 PM

Pass 260.8 v Pass 600.5 v Mac 601s?

Hello,

I am considering upgrading my Amps from Mac 601s to Pass Amps. I don’t want to deal with the heat of class A so I am not looking at the 160.8. My room is 18x30. Speakers are Amati Tradition with a Pass xp32 Pre-amp and a Moon 610 phono Amp. I am considering a pair of the Pass 260.8 or a pair of pre-owned Pass 600.5?

Any thoughts? Could use a bit more bottom end tightness and slam….though my Macs certain have wonderful control. I listen to Jazz, Blues and classic Rock.

Thank you all!

Puma Cat 03-12-2023 12:04 AM

Get whichever one you can buy for less money.

Formerly YB-2 03-12-2023 02:54 AM

Ask on the FB group "I Love My Pass Labs Audio".
Were me, would go with .8 amp.
Very pleased with my INT-25.

Puma Cat 03-12-2023 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1072644)
Very pleased with my INT-25.

Have a good buddy that has the INT-25, and heard it recently at his home.

Absolutely loved it.

:thumbsup:

Electricboogaloo 03-12-2023 01:25 PM

Thank you. I’m curious if anyone has made the move from Mac SS monos to Pass A/B Monos and if the upgrade was palpable.

Puma Cat 03-12-2023 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electricboogaloo (Post 1072671)
Thank you. I’m curious if anyone has made the move from Mac SS monos to Pass A/B Monos and if the upgrade was palpable.

Not sure what you mean by "palpable". If you meant would the change "be audible", most likely it will be.

Whether the change is something you'll like is...up to you. There are no "absolutes" here. It's like asking, "what's better, a Bösenedorfer or Stienway grand piano?" The answer is..."It depends. What do you like best?" All that matters is what YOU like, not what anyone else likes or thinks.

Personally, I don't worry about finding "the absolute best", just a system that creates authentic, relaxed (as Hans Beehuyzen says), and involving musical experiences. And, having been in this wacky hobby for over 40 years now, I find I significantly prefer "simple systems" over "complex systems". Gets me closer to Altschuler's Theory of Ideality.

Electricboogaloo 03-12-2023 07:25 PM

Thank you. Am I agree! Love the control of my Mac and it is effortless for the size of the room….could have more slam and tightness in the bottom end to meet what I am searching for. Wondering if the Pass enthusiasts have solved these with the amps mentioned.

Puma Cat 03-12-2023 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electricboogaloo (Post 1072680)
Thank you. Am I agree! Love the control of my Mac and it is effortless for the size of the room….could have more slam and tightness in the bottom end to meet what I am searching for. Wondering if the Pass enthusiasts have solved these with the amps mentioned.

Have you thought about adding a sub-woofer or a sub-bass system such a REL? That may provide the "dynamics" in the lower octaves you're looking for. Just hypothesizing here...

Electricboogaloo 03-12-2023 07:58 PM

Yes! I have thought of adding a Sonus faber sub. I have a sub in my theatre but have never used a sub with my main listening system……good call. I will def test

mjs 03-24-2023 05:23 AM

I have had X260.8's with my Magnepan MG3.7i's for about nine months now, couldn't be happier. Pre is XP22. Don't need a sub, I listen to jazz, blues, classical, bit of rock, mainly digital, but some vinyl. Don't have any experience with Mac, they are not very common here is Oz.