AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   B&W Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Voices height (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50903)

Birdy1062 02-24-2022 10:00 AM

Voices height

Hello Everybody,

Im enjoying since a few months a pair of 802 D3, quite pleased with the general results.
One thing that keeps bothering me is that I find that the singers voices are too low, not at standing height, on the soundstage.

I can understand that a singer pianist’s voice would be roughly at the same height as me seating but all the voices are only slightly above my head, so not accurately representing a singer standing up.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Formerly YB-2 02-24-2022 12:44 PM

Tip your speakers back by adjusting the spikes. Small increments.

4music 02-25-2022 02:09 AM

In my experience power cables have big impact on this issue. Also Denafrips BIC 500 had a very positive impact on singers placemnent. Experiment in this direction if you can. Tipping the speakers did not get me overall positive results, you get something but loose something else.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Birdy1062 (Post 1055952)
Hello Everybody,

Im enjoying since a few months a pair of 802 D3, quite pleased with the general results.
One thing that keeps bothering me is that I find that the singers voices are too low, not at standing height, on the soundstage.

I can understand that a singer pianist’s voice would be roughly at the same height as me seating but all the voices are only slightly above my head, so not accurately representing a singer standing up.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

JoeN 02-25-2022 06:56 AM

Both of the other replies are spot on, but please post a picture of your system. Please include your seating position/chair as well.

How far apart are your speakers? How far off the wall are they? I know when I changed DACs my sound stage took off into the stratosphere …

jameslrock 02-25-2022 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4music (Post 1056006)
In my experience power cables have big impact on this issue. Also Denafrips BIC 500 had a very positive impact on singers placemnent. Experiment in this direction if you can. Tipping the speakers did not get me overall positive results, you get something but loose something else.

I agree that power cords made a significant difference with my 802D2s. And later I placed on StillPoints.

Birdy1062 02-26-2022 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeN (Post 1056011)
Both of the other replies are spot on, but please post a picture of your system. Please include your seating position/chair as well.

How far apart are your speakers? How far off the wall are they? I know when I changed DACs my sound stage took off into the stratosphere …

Measured from tweeters, speakers are 1,25M from front wall, 1,27 from side walls, 2,18M apart, seating position 3,2M from line joining tweeters.

Roon Nucleus - Mola Mola Makua pre + DAC - Mola Mola Kaluga Monos - AQ William Tell zero and bass.
Electrical feeding, AQ Niagara, Thunder cables

Delija 02-26-2022 08:41 AM

Try the position closer to equilateral triangle. It will also create more immersive soundstage.

joey_v 02-27-2022 10:19 AM

Many times I find an issue with singers too tall and making the stage feel Empty for the first 6 feet vertically. Yours is probably a better problem to have.

This is likely secondary to your ceiling.

Birdy1062 02-27-2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delija (Post 1056071)
Try the position closer to equilateral triangle. It will also create more immersive soundstage.

Will try and report

Birdy1062 02-27-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 1056149)
Many times I find an issue with singers too tall and making the stage feel Empty for the first 6 feet vertically. Yours is probably a better problem to have.

This is likely secondary to your ceiling.

My Ceiling height is 3,3 M