AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking For a McIntosh MC275 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50199)

1KW 08-21-2021 01:13 PM

Looking For a McIntosh MC275

I have always been curious about the MC275, looking to use with a pair of Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento’s I have in a “smallish” room mostly for streaming using Roon. Like to hear from anyone who has or has had a MC275 and got rid of the amp. . Like to know why you got rid of it .

Formerly YB-2 08-21-2021 06:56 PM

Had one, then two and then back to one, as it provided better SQ. Got rid of when I got a pair of reissue MC75s. Got rid of all my McIntosh last time I 'down sized' (in a fit of madness). MC275 is a terrific amp and definitely one of McIntosh's very best.

miner 08-21-2021 07:58 PM

Go for the MkVI version. My dealer in Houston (3ma Audio - ask for Johnny) has a used one for $4900 and will ship. I use one (had two at one time as monos) with my Sf Electa Amator III and sounds marvelous. Been jonesing for a Mc1502 but need to get back to work first.

Stahle 08-21-2021 11:11 PM

Looking For a McIntosh MC275

My dealer might still have my MC275VI that I traded in for an MC462 earlier this year (it was still there last month). It has very low hours and all new gold lion tubes. The MC275VI they have was one I purchased new to replace an MC275VI that had a tube failure which blew up a good portion of the amp. I only had the replacement MC275VI for a few months so it’s basically new. They are great sounding amps but I decided to get an MC462 because the MC275VI just couldn’t drive my speakers to the volume levels that I wanted without wanting to shut down. If I get back into bookshelf speakers, I might consider going back to the MC275VI.

PeterMusic 08-22-2021 11:33 AM

I have a MC275VI, and I cannot imagine letting it go, except if I needed to power monster floor standers in a large room. It's sui generis--you're not going to find anything more organic.

One other consideration, especially with Memento's--are you going to add a sub? This would argue even more strongly in favor of a 275, as a large portion of the brute force power will be delegated to the sub's built-in amp.

miner 08-22-2021 02:48 PM

Full disclosure - I do use a sub with my MC275MKVI

thughes 08-23-2021 09:50 AM

I have two MC275s, but I haven't gotten rid of either. I moved them out of what has become a two channel system that includes television. I didn't want to use tubes to run TV. I can't decide if I want to sell them. I'll probably use one of them in a different two channel system.

altbrewer 08-24-2021 08:14 AM

I had one and sold it with some regret. It sounded great at low volume level, but didn't have the oomph to really drive my speakers. I thought long and hard about buying a second one and bridging them to run one per channel, but decided that I didn't want the heat of tubes in this Texas climate.

paltomare 08-24-2021 08:46 AM

I have one MkVI driving a pair of O/96s, amp sounds wonderful as others have said and drives these 96db efficient speakers very loud when I want to. I may move the amp to another system with slightly less efficient SF Elipsa's (93dB), if I find I need more volume I'll get a second and run them mono.

Formerly YB-2 08-24-2021 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paltomare (Post 1043837)
........if I find I need more volume I'll get a second and run them mono.

If you do, my experience is that you will find that they sound noticeably different when running as a pair of mono amps compared to a single stereo amp.