AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Accuphase (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Things you do not like about Accuphase (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=27068)

nvp 06-08-2014 11:26 PM

Things you do not like about Accuphase

I’ll start by saying that I am a big Accuphase fan. Not only I own only Accuphase electronics but I am so happy with them that I have absolutely no plans to move to another brand any time soon.

While this type of thread is obviously not what one would expect from an Accuphase fan, my goal with this thread is constructive criticise. I feel such a thread should be beneficial not only for people that do not own Accuphase equipment but are interested in buying it, but also for the manufacture which can get direct feed-back from first-hand users.

So without farther ado, and leaving price aside, here are my main complains about Accuphase:

1) Font size of the displays of the Accuphase SACD, CD players and pre-amps. This is my main criticism. I really do not understand why they have to make the size of those fonts so small. Is everybody at Accuphase an eagle, or they know for a fact that only eagles buy their equipment?

2) Unimaginative advertisement. For example, they claim about every model of pre-amp or integrated amp they have released lately that it is a model change from the previous model. Yet when they enumerated the most important feature of the new models they start with the AAVA volume control…

3) Rather unhelpful brochures/manuals which often miss important information or clear description of the required set-up procedures. My standard example in this regard is the manual of the DG-38 unit which was abysmal.

4) Often unfriendly, arrogant and not very helpful importers/dealers. For example, calling the dutch importer (in my experience) was like calling the military (e.g. Who are you?! Where did you buy your units?! What are the serial numbers of your units?! You do not have them at hand?!) As far as I understood the situation is not very different in Germany.

I have read a few more other complains on this forum so I look forward to read your thoughts on this matter!

Masterlu 06-08-2014 11:37 PM

Not many complaints here at all, as I too own and really enjoy the brand.

I have no problem with the font size, need my glasses regardless.

Just about no advertising here in the USA that I have seen.

I would agree with you on the lack of helpful brochures/manuals; they should do a better job.

Here in the US we have the best and friendliest importer; Arturo from Axxis Audio Distribution.

antipop 06-09-2014 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvp (Post 613995)
1) Font size of the displays of the Accuphase SACD, CD players and pre-amps. This is my main criticism. I really do not understand why they have to make the size of those fonts so small. Is everybody at Accuphase an eagle, or they know for a fact that only eagles buy their equipment?

It's true but it has never bothered me. It's more of a very minor inconvenience. There is nothing you really need to read when using the product.

Quote:

2) Unimaginative advertisement. For example, they claim about every model of pre-amp or integrated amp they have released lately that it is a model change from the previous model. Yet when they enumerated the most important feature of the new models they start with the AAVA volume control…

Just like any other manufacturer. At least they're not coming with new bogus technology to make you buy the new one.

Quote:

3) Rather unhelpful brochures/manuals which often miss important information or clear description of the required set-up procedures. My standard example in this regard is the manual of the DG-38 unit which was abysmal.

Highly agreed. Information on the option card are even worse. You have the feeling that it's a small outfit after all and they don't have much people working in the marketing department. They are also very no nonsense.

Quote:

4) Often unfriendly, arrogant and not very helpful importers/dealers. For example, calling the dutch importer (in my experience) was like calling the military (e.g. Who are you?! Where did you buy your units?! What are the serial numbers of your units?! You do not have them at hand?!) As far as I understood the situation is not very different in Germany.

French importers is very nice though I never had to deal with him and my dealer is really friendly and helpful. Importers in general are not very friendly and not helpful at all.

I guess his attitude is related to the grey market which leads me to my own complaint : the markup once the unit leaves Japan. It can be quite strange to know that the same unit is half price in Japan. I've seen many explanation but none that was satisfying. However, that doesn't mean that they're not competitive in term of quality and SQ when compared to other product in the same price range. They are actually very well priced despite the high markup.

Sultankat 06-09-2014 03:10 AM

The different polarity of Accuphase XLR, although the new models now have a switch, so you can choose between Accuphase polarity and standard polarity.

magoo 06-09-2014 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antipop (Post 614029)

I guess his attitude is related to the grey market which leads me to my own complaint : the markup once the unit leaves Japan. It can be quite strange to know that the same unit is half price in Japan. I've seen many explanation but none that was satisfying. However, that doesn't mean that they're not competitive in term of quality and SQ when compared to other product in the same price range. They are actually very well priced despite the high markup.

In fairness, this issue applies to other brands from Japan too, Leben spring to mind. As it was explained to me by the UK dealer I bought my E450 from, it's down to the Yen's fluctuations rather than greed on the manufacturers part. However, it leaves the brand largely ignored in the UK, and thats a damn shame.

From a purely personal point of view, I wish they would add some valve amps to their line up, if they can make SS sound that good.......seems to work for Luxman for eg. Oh, and adding DSD capability to the DAC section of their disc spinners, Marantz have done this & it makes for a more future proofed investment imho.

antipop 06-09-2014 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magoo (Post 614051)
In fairness, this issue applies to other brands from Japan too, Leben spring to mind. As it was explained to me by the UK dealer I bought my E450 from, it's down to the Yen's fluctuations rather than greed on the manufacturers part. However, it leaves the brand largely ignored in the UK, and thats a damn shame.

Matt, you are correct. This is true for all Japanese brand (including Esoteric which sells a lot of product in the US). And to be fair, Accuphase has lowered its prices here due to positive fluctuation for the Euro.

Also, it explains a bit. It's not the complete story. My opinion, completely personal and without any proof, they are just pricing what the market can bear and relative to the competition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magoo (Post 614051)
From a purely personal point of view, I wish they would add some valve amps to their line up, if they can make SS sound that good.......seems to work for Luxman for eg. Oh, and adding DSD capability to the DAC section of their disc spinners, Marantz have done this & it makes for a more future proofed investment imho.

Valve is not in their philosophy and history. I don't think they would successful there.

Oh yes, the most lacking part in their line-up is an affordable DAC. They have the DC-901 but this is way too expensive for most of us.

I'm really looking for a DC-721 priced around $13k which would be basically a DP-720 without the drive. They could also add a DC-551 priced around $7k. I'm sure they would sell like hotcakes.

imprezap2 06-09-2014 11:10 AM

really like Accuphase, already have my third integrated class A amplifier, they have no problem driving a difficult load like the Magico V3.

Had only one less good experience with Accuphase, I owned the DP-500 CD player, but a much cheaper Ayre CX7e MP completely outclassed it. Since then I have stayed away from Accuphase CD spinners. (maybe the DP-720 would change my mind)

One big + for Accuphase Amplifiers for me ist the "pride of ownership"

Toobs 06-09-2014 01:05 PM

As it is with all other hi end gear that I cherish, it's too bloody expensive:madani::madani:

harri009 06-09-2014 01:08 PM

While I have never owned one of their products I personally dislike their front face plate, button appearance, and color. It reminds me of a gold 70's receiver, yuck. So for the price they ask I would never buy one of their products purely due to looks. I have seen many here comment how beautiful they are so I guess its all in the eyes of the beholder.

Masterlu 06-09-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harri009 (Post 614123)
While I have never owned one of their products I personally dislike their front face plate, button appearance, and color. It reminds me of a gold 70's receiver, yuck. So for the price they ask I would never buy one of their products purely due to looks. I have seen many here comment how beautiful they are so I guess its all in the eyes of the beholder.

It's not gold, it is champagne... :beatnik:

:D