AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New construction home theater - input needed (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50760)

Jdsmoke 01-14-2022 06:27 PM

New construction home theater - input needed

1 Attachment(s)
I’m building a new house and the Mrs has approved some funds for a new home theater. Layout is attached. Looking for thoughts on both equipment and design. Budget is around $40k for equipment and acoustic treatment. Room is wired for a 7.2.4 speaker system, projection TV and screen. Anyone know of a good 7.2.4 speaker system, projector, or screen? I was thinking separates for the audio. Maybe Anthem. I can reuse anything in the current HT system I have below to invest in other places. I have seating covered. Was looking at 2 rows of 5 seats. All input is welcome and thanks in advance for your input.

dkorbal 01-15-2022 12:18 PM

Is this a theater only room or will you incorporate 2 channel into it? I realize you have both but do you plan on separate SYSTEMS. If both (use passthru for example), what is your ratio of music/movies emphasis?

lem321 01-15-2022 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdsmoke (Post 1053221)
I’m building a new house and the Mrs has approved some funds for a new home theater. Layout is attached. Looking for thoughts on both equipment and design. Budget is around $40k for equipment and acoustic treatment. Room is wired for a 7.2.4 speaker system, projection TV and screen. Anyone know of a good 7.2.4 speaker system, projector, or screen? I was thinking separates for the audio. Maybe Anthem. I can reuse anything in the current HT system I have below to invest in other places. I have seating covered. Was looking at 2 rows of 5 seats. All input is welcome and thanks in advance for your input.

As dkorbal asked, do you plan to have a separate 2-channel and HT system? I also have an ARC Ref 6E which I use for both 2 channel and HT with the pass-thru feature. This, along with ARC monoblocks allows me to use existing gear and build the HT around this. I'm a big fan of JVC projectors and Stewart screens. I presume you have a dedicated light-controlled space which will help determine the type of screen you use. If you're planning to have a separate HT system, Anthem makes great stuff and the possibilities for speakers is wide open. I find that the quality of the amplifiers in HT is less critical than it is for 2 channel listening.

thughes 01-17-2022 12:51 PM

I use McIntosh for amplification and the Anthem AVM70 for processing. I love the Anthem. Speakers are all B&W. I am considering upgrading to one of the new JVC laser projectors (DLA-NZ8). I haven't decided yet on the screen. Now, I use Da-lite, but Stewart would certainly be in the list to consider. My dealer is pushing Screen Innovations. My HT is approximately 20' by 30' with the equipment in a 10'x 12' offset. Ceilings are 9'.

UFTE 01-18-2022 10:54 AM

Quote:

I use McIntosh for amplification and the Anthem AVM70 for processing. I love the Anthem. Speakers are all B&W. I am considering upgrading to one of the new JVC laser projectors (DLA-NZ8). I haven't decided yet on the screen. Now, I use Da-lite, but Stewart would certainly be in the list to consider. My dealer is pushing Screen Innovations. My HT is approximately 20' by 30' with the equipment in a 10'x 12' offset. Ceilings are 9'.
I also used a motorized Da-Lite screen for quite some time in my old house with pretty good results. The increase to Stewart for motorized/perforated back then which I required in that setup was too great IMO (this is going all the way back to 2008). I moved in the last couple years and upgraded a new theater. I used a fixed Stewart screen this time and am more than pleased with it so far. I'm sure you know they are considered to be the Cadillac of screens. My 120" Stewart was slightly over $2k all said and done to give you an idea. It should last forever, and I highly recommend as will many others.

thughes 01-18-2022 11:23 AM

I will be updating the screen, but updating the projector comes first.

W9TR 01-18-2022 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdsmoke (Post 1053221)

The pic isn't high enough resolution to pick up the dimensions of the room and ceiling height. That's the first place to start. Please provide or run them through something like mrss to find all the modes. That will determine speaker and seating position to some extent, and if you have some flexibility, may create a cleaner canvas for acoustic treatments.

With 2 rows of seating, you'll want to put in a 12" riser (height of a normal head) in for the second row of seats, ideally spanning the room and running to the rear wall. This can be fabricated out of 2 x 12 dimension lumber and 2 sheets of plywood or OSB. Also you'll have to decide if you want good bass across the entire listening field - you'll need several subs, at least 2, ideally 4.

How are you going to install the floor coverings, and what will you use?

A fixed screen is best, Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 is my recommended option. Avoid screens with gain or very large screens.

More to come on design ideas once you publish the room dimensions.

Fun project!

Jdsmoke 01-19-2022 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkorbal (Post 1053266)
Is this a theater only room or will you incorporate 2 channel into it? I realize you have both but do you plan on separate SYSTEMS. If both (use passthru for example), what is your ratio of music/movies emphasis?

Just home theater. I have a separate 2 channel room which will house all the 2 channel gear. So the theater room just has the stuff I already have and what ever I add.

Jdsmoke 01-19-2022 08:22 PM

Here is an output from Audio Advice on what I was thinking.

https://www.audioadvice.com/my-theat...x=57906a4b0680

Big B 01-22-2022 01:28 AM

Do yourself a favour and get a pro to design the room now and you will cure a lot of ills later.