AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Roon Subscription Costs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51767)

clpetersen 11-22-2022 11:28 AM

Roon Subscription Costs

...are going up:

"On January 1st, 2023, the price of a yearly subscription will change to $12.49/mo, billed annually.

We're also changing the prices of our monthly and lifetime subscriptions on January 1st, 2023. The monthly subscription will change to $14.99/month, and the lifetime subscription will change to $829.99.

If you'd like to switch to a lifetime subscription at the lower price, visit your account page and change your billing before your next charge."

I am a Roon fan, annual subscription model. About 3 years in. I don't think I will invest in the lifetime subscription, because of the 5 year break-even point. That is a long time in software world.

At what point will Roon become too expensive for you? What would you use instead? I like JRiver, but no integration with streaming services (Tidal, etc.)

Formerly YB-2 11-22-2022 12:40 PM

Does the lifetime subscription include all future upgrades.

Not sure about others, but I hope to be listening at least another 15yr.

KahunaCanuck 11-22-2022 01:35 PM

Yes, it includes all upgrades...

dkorbal 11-22-2022 02:22 PM

I've been using Roon for about a year now. I'll be switching to lifetime before the end of the year.

mjs 11-22-2022 04:46 PM

I’ve been lifetime for three years, happy with that, even though I don’t always use Roon.

bart 11-22-2022 06:28 PM

Lifetime subscriber here.

jfray 11-22-2022 08:38 PM

Yeah I have debated on the lifetime subscription and I will try Roon more once my room is finished……. E helped me install it on my Silenzo and I like it better than JRiver so far.

clpetersen 11-22-2022 10:11 PM

Hello JFray - Roon is great; I am a convert.

With JRiver, there are no surprises - you get out what you put in. With Roon, you get a lot more. I like that artists appear in multiple genres; something I don't think you can do with JRiver. I am a bit proud of the fact that when I first imported my library into Roon it found zero errors. Careful tagging with JRiver.

Nothing better for music discovery IMO (maybe Tidal for Hip-Hop but not my favorite genre)

So, JRiver for library management and Roon for listening.

jfray 11-23-2022 01:04 AM

Yeah I have 40,000 songs on my Synology NAS hard drive that E helped me setup. Roon easily combines your personal music with other music online. I really like it so far but haven’t experienced it for more than a couple weeks before I had to take everything apart for the remodel. I am almost done! :banana:

Quote:

Originally Posted by clpetersen (Post 1068827)
Hello JFray - Roon is great; I am a convert.

With JRiver, there are no surprises - you get out what you put in. With Roon, you get a lot more. I like that artists appear in multiple genres; something I don't think you can do with JRiver. I am a bit proud of the fact that when I first imported my library into Roon it found zero errors. Careful tagging with JRiver.

Nothing better for music discovery IMO (maybe Tidal for Hip-Hop but not my favorite genre)

So, JRiver for library management and Roon for listening.

Still-One 11-23-2022 09:42 AM

I've had my Lifetime subscription from 2017. Great investment. I have discovered so many new artists that keep me interested in this hobby.