AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Pre-Amps & Amplifiers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Solid State preamp with Tube Amp? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50429)

daveneumann 10-21-2021 06:26 PM

Solid State preamp with Tube Amp?

In the past when I have mixed tubes with SS, it was always a tube preamp with SS amps. On a whim, I bought a Music Reference RM200 mkII to try in place of my Pass Labs X260.8. I'm using a Pass XP22 preamp + XP 27 phono front end, both SS. The RM200 puts out 125wpc into 2 Ohms and drives my Stradivari's easily.

The result was surprising. On the downside, the tube amp lacks the bass slam and initial attack of the SS amps. But it is as good, if not better in every other respect. The tube amp is more 3D, has greater sustain, beautiful tone, greater midrange detail, and a more layered soundstage. As a result, I find it to be more emotionally engaging.

Anyone else using a SS preamp/phono with a tube amp? I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

ACHiPo 10-22-2021 05:39 PM

I'm running a Parasound JC2 pre into AtmaSphere MA1 OTL amps and really like the combination. The AtmaSpheres do bass as good as any amp I've heard.

I do run a Wavestream Kinetics tube phono stage.

George Prentice 10-22-2021 07:31 PM

I moved from solid state preamp about twenty years ago, Phono stage shortly after. I ran a Pass x350 ss amp for fifteen years or so. I switched to a Audio Research Ref160s a year ago or so. The amps sound was so different… just shockingly. I couldn’t even consider putting the Pass back in. I thought long and hard about the differences… because the drop in slam was very significant, but the bass is much better. One thing with out question is the ARC amp is way… way closer to real music.

My conclusion was that the slam thing can be somewhat artificial. The Pass has a lean midrange and not fully opened up bass (laid out equally across the spectrum) and it is really fast at transients. This creates exaggerate rise in bass we call slam. But the ARC has fully fleshed out mid-range and highly detailed bass… which is very natural sounding… the rise and decay is what you hear in live music… especially acoustic. That ss slap tickles my fancy… but the detailed bass of the ARC is really much much better.

The improvement in my system from going to a good tube amp really have me scratching my head why I did not do this… well 40 years ago when I first heard a Audio Research tube amp… oh yeah, I remember… the cost.

crwilli 10-22-2021 08:53 PM

Solid State preamp with Tube Amp?

I moved from McIntosh MC2301 mono tube amps and a C-1100 tube Pre to a SS Bricasti DAC/PRE and Bricasti SS Mono Amps. For me, the decrease in noise and increase in accuracy has taken Strads to the best I have ever heard them.

Having said that, it could be my room(s), my ears/hearing, etc.

daveneumann 10-23-2021 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Prentice (Post 1047449)
I moved from solid state preamp about twenty years ago, Phono stage shortly after. I ran a Pass x350 ss amp for fifteen years or so. I switched to a Audio Research Ref160s a year ago or so. The amps sound was so different… just shockingly. I couldn’t even consider putting the Pass back in. I thought long and hard about the differences… because the drop in slam was very significant, but the bass is much better. One thing with out question is the ARC amp is way… way closer to real music.

My conclusion was that the slam thing can be somewhat artificial. The Pass has a lean midrange and not fully opened up bass (laid out equally across the spectrum) and it is really fast at transients. This creates exaggerate rise in bass we call slam. But the ARC has fully fleshed out mid-range and highly detailed bass… which is very natural sounding… the rise and decay is what you hear in live music… especially acoustic. That ss slap tickles my fancy… but the detailed bass of the ARC is really much much better.

The improvement in my system from going to a good tube amp really have me scratching my head why I did not do this… well 40 years ago when I first heard a Audio Research tube amp… oh yeah, I remember… the cost.

Thanks, George. Your characterization of the Pass versus ARC amps is similar to what I am hearing by comparison. The tube amp actually has more tuneful and detailed bass, but just doesn't have that initial slam, whether that slam is real or exaggerated. Most of my listening is acoustic music versus rock, so it has been a nice improvement for me.

Dave

daveneumann 10-23-2021 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 1047452)
I moved from McIntosh MC2301 mono tube amps and a C-1100 tube Pre to a SS Bricasti DAC/PRE and Bricasti SS Mono Amps. For me, the decrease in noise and increase in accuracy has taken Strads to the best I have ever heard them.

Having said that, it could be my room(s), my ears/hearing, etc.

You moved in the opposite direction! I am hearing absolutely no tube noise or hiss from the amp. It is dead quiet, which was a nice surprise.

I've heard good things about Bricasti.

Dave

ATC2 10-24-2021 11:11 AM

It’s my current set up, I’ve been very happy with it for a few years. I had a similar experience when I had a chance to listen to my amps with a tube pre for a short period, The difference was notable but very subtle. I may one day get a tube pre so I can listen for a longer period of time. Not sure if the sound differences justify a $6k expense when I have one that I’m satisfied with, but then again this hobby is like that at times. But if we’re to find a buyer for mine then I would do it. It’s more of “would like to” than a “must do”
Even my friend that brought over the tube pre was somewhat surprised of the sound of the so called miss match. I’m always checking the ads for C2600 or C22 since these are the ones that I would like to get, maybe some day I will.

steve64 10-27-2021 10:42 PM

people like their tube pre's. Me too. however, at present, and for years, I've been using
a Mac c-50 solid state. Into a Mac MC 275vi. The sound is wonderful of course, but that is not the reason. For 50 years I've been trying to make Mick Jagger sound like Frank
Sinatra!!! But, with no luck. Discouraging! But with an eight band equalizer, I can drive myself crazy! And isn't that the whole purpose of this " hobby "?

hoodjem 02-11-2022 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveneumann (Post 1047403)
In the past when I have mixed tubes with SS, it was always a tube preamp with SS amps. On a whim, I bought a Music Reference RM200 mkII to try in place of my Pass Labs X260.8. I'm using a Pass XP22 preamp + XP 27 phono front end, both SS. The RM200 puts out 125wpc into 2 Ohms and drives my Stradivari's easily.

The result was surprising. On the downside, the tube amp lacks the bass slam and initial attack of the SS amps. But it is as good, if not better in every other respect. The tube amp is more 3D, has greater sustain, beautiful tone, greater midrange detail, and a more layered soundstage. As a result, I find it to be more emotionally engaging.

Anyone else using a SS preamp/phono with a tube amp? I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

I use a JRDG Consonance preamp with a tube Cary CAD-280 V12 power amp.
I used to have an tube ARC SP-9 pre with a Mark Levinson no. 23 SS power amp.

With the JRDG and Cary, everything is better: tone, detail, three-dimensionality, midrange, highs, soundstage, smoothness.

One important thing I learned was that more detail doesn't have to come with a cooler, brighter, more analytical sound. With the JRDG+Cary One can have more detail, resolution, and depth with a warmer, smoother, and more liquid, musical sound.