AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Acoustical Treatments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sound proofing (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=87)

mchydro 04-08-2009 10:53 AM

Sound proofing

I am in the process of soundproofing my 2 channel listening room. To clarify, it is being constructed from the ground up in a renovated basement. I am leaning towards a design called "a room within a room". I found it from Green Glue's website. The design wastes some space but the benefits from what I understand is a room that is very isolated from outside noise and vice versa.

A double stud wall, separate ceiling joists and a floating floor make the inner room "shell" totally separate from the outer room shell. There is an air gap of a few inches in between the rooms to stop bass in its tracks. All walls and ceiling are created with double drywall sandwiched with green glue (viscoeleastic dampening compound) in between.

The design incorpates a few different priciples of sound proofing: mass, mechanical decoupling, absorption and dampening.

I will take pictures and share my experiences along the way.

PHC1 04-08-2009 11:42 AM

I am doing a similar build out except I have decided to use the ASC WallDamp.
http://www.asc-soundproof.com/index-walldamp.htm

-E- 04-08-2009 11:45 AM

From what I have seen, including actual mathematical calculations some time ago, the room-within-a-room idea seems to be the best way to go for sound isolation; yes you lose some volume (cuft) and sqft, but it is supposed to be the best.

I'll try to see if I can dig up that old article that went into detail - it was really nice (they went through several methods, too).

wanderfowl 04-08-2009 11:46 AM

Sounds like quite the project. I look forward to your pictures and to hearing your eventual results. :)

howiebrou 04-09-2009 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchydro (Post 946)
I am in the process of soundproofing my 2 channel listening room. To clarify, it is being constructed from the ground up in a renovated basement. I am leaning towards a design called "a room within a room". I found it from Green Glue's website. The design wastes some space but the benefits from what I understand is a room that is very isolated from outside noise and vice versa.

A double stud wall, separate ceiling joists and a floating floor make the inner room "shell" totally separate from the outer room shell. There is an air gap of a few inches in between the rooms to stop bass in its tracks. All walls and ceiling are created with double drywall sandwiched with green glue (viscoeleastic dampening compound) in between.

The design incorpates a few different priciples of sound proofing: mass, mechanical decoupling, absorption and dampening.

I will take pictures and share my experiences along the way.

I am trying to do the same! I basically have a 23ft by 21ft by 8ft room made of glass and aluminium. I intend to cover two sides of the walls, mostly cover a further side with room for windows and leave the last one visible as there is a panoramic sea view from it.

Ed (Cornfeded) introduced me to green glue but i am not sure if it is available in Hong Kong.

What is a floating floor? Is that just some 6th of an inch wooden flooring raised above the structural floor?

Seriously need some education in all of this. Also how are you guys going to route your wires and cables around the room? I intend to place a hi fi rack pretty much in the centre of the room and then route the cables under the carpet and wood floor up to the walls and then around the room hidden under some floor skirting. Does this make sense?

howie

mchydro 04-11-2009 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by howiebrou (Post 1438)
I am trying to do the same! I basically have a 23ft by 21ft by 8ft room made of glass and aluminium. I intend to cover two sides of the walls, mostly cover a further side with room for windows and leave the last one visible as there is a panoramic sea view from it.

Ed (Cornfeded) introduced me to green glue but i am not sure if it is available in Hong Kong.

What is a floating floor? Is that just some 6th of an inch wooden flooring raised above the structural floor?

Seriously need some education in all of this. Also how are you guys going to route your wires and cables around the room? I intend to place a hi fi rack pretty much in the centre of the room and then route the cables under the carpet and wood floor up to the walls and then around the room hidden under some floor skirting. Does this make sense?

howie

Hi Howie. Your understanding of what a floating floor is pretty much correct. However, there is an addition of a "resilient" layer beneath the floating layer. From Green Glue's website, see the attached screen shot describing a floating floor.

As far as the cable routing, what you are thinking of doing sounds fine to me. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Mike

KingRT 04-19-2009 08:49 PM

I did the Green Glue, double 5/8 inch drywall, for my block walls. Now my sound shoots up to my 3rd story like a chimney. Weakest link rule, working at its best.
I am going to re-due my ceiling and entrance next.

Not sure anything stops 2 JL F113's, during Dark Knight.?.

Masterlu 04-19-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingRT (Post 6032)
Not sure anything stops 2 JL F113's, during Dark Knight.?.

Only a Blackout!

jdandy 04-19-2009 10:42 PM

This site offers some interesting materials to help sound proof old and new construction.
http://www.allnoisecontrol.com/SoundBarriers.cfm

Coytee 04-21-2009 08:00 AM

I seem to recall that you don't want parallel walls either so if you build your room in a room, well...if I were doing it, I'd find out about splaying the walls and/or ceiling a bit to help reduce reinforcements of bass signals (at least, I think that is what it does). Bad memory tells me it's something like 1' of splay angle per 10' of room length? Not sure if you need to do one wall or both walls. I'd speculate if you did both walls you could splay each of them 1/2 of the suggested amount rather than have a single wall seem so out of square?