AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Smaller sub recommendation (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50676)

dkorbal 12-18-2021 07:00 PM

Smaller sub recommendation
 
I’m considering purchasing two Rel S510 to add to my B&W 803D3 while they are on sale for Christmas. :D But I’m wondering, are there better subs available for my situation? The biggest limitation is width and depth size. The S510s (16Wx16Hx18.25D) are the largest I have room for so nothing larger. I’d prefer a sub with a 10” woofer (I’m thinking 8” too small for mains) and pricing under $3k each. My considerations so far are Rel and B&W. Any suggestions?

Antonmb 12-18-2021 09:47 PM

I donít think anybody does small subs better than REL, the S series are great subs.

Puma Cat 12-18-2021 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkorbal (Post 1051307)
I’m considering purchasing two Rel S510 to add to my B&W 803D3 while they are on sale for Christmas. :D But I’m wondering, are there better subs available for my situation? The biggest limitation is width and depth size. The S510s (16Wx16Hx18.25D) are the largest I have room for so nothing larger. I’d prefer a sub with a 10” woofer (I’m thinking 8” too small for mains) and pricing under $3k each. My considerations so far are Rel and B&W. Any suggestions?

Oh, yeah, there is a great alternative now...the KEF KC62. It's getting RAVE reviews everywhere. And, really small.

A friend in another forum has had about half a dozen subs from different mfrs (e.g. Rel, KEF Cube, KEF R400, Elac, 2x Rythmik, etc.) and he says the KEF KC62 is better than any of them.

And..it's small. Less than a foot square, something like 10" And...$1499/each.

Check out Darko's review here: https://youtu.be/Y2Lc8oOinOY

The thing is...these are excellent subs, and...they are small. Sounds perfect for your requirements.

dkorbal 12-18-2021 11:08 PM

Thanks Stephen I did see Darko’s review. In fact he just gave it one of his “Products of 2021” award. I may have to take a more serious look at it.

Puma Cat 12-18-2021 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkorbal (Post 1051321)
Thanks Stephen I did see Darko’s review. In fact he just gave it one of his “Products of 2021” award. I may have to take a more serious look at it.

I would, if I were you. If I had a spare $1500 bucks to spend on some gear, I would be giving it some serious consideration. And...I have a REL R-305 here that is very nicely integrated.

But, as I'm now a retired guy, my "discretionary spend" for audio gear lately has been going to improving the acoustics of my listening space even further (based on John's excellent V/Coustics vid recently, as well). Just ordered some additional GIK panels and 4 ceiling diffractors.

dkorbal 12-18-2021 11:15 PM

Another manufacturer I see mentioned a lot is JLAudio. How does say a f110 compare to the Rel? How they integrate with my main speakers is first and foremost after size of course.

Puma Cat 12-18-2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkorbal (Post 1051323)
Another manufacturer I see mentioned a lot is JLAudio. How does say a f110 compare to the Rel? How they integrate with my main speakers is first and foremost after size of course.

Yeah, can't comment on anything I have not heard. I trust Darko's reviews.

When I integrated my REL, I did a DOE (Design of Experiments). I like having a....transfer function and being able to characterize control factor interactions with statistical rigor.

The interactions are shown in the Interaction Profiles at bottom left.

https://photos.imageevent.com/puma_c...reen%20cap.jpg

Response surface at a 155 Hz node, showing the interaction between Gain and Crossover...
https://photos.imageevent.com/puma_c...ponse%20II.jpg

The Power of DOE compels you...:p

dkorbal 12-19-2021 12:37 AM

Iím not going to pretend I understand all of that :no: but I am an engineer so I will figure it out. Just not tonight.

JMD 12-19-2021 01:14 AM

Look at the Rythmik F12SE at $1189 and you get a 10% discount for multiples. It's 15 3/4 x 15 3/4 x 17. I also know the "friend" Puma is talking about for a few years and I personally take those pronouncements with a grain of salt. I own two pair of F-12's and have previously owned subs from HSU, SVS, Vandersteen, ACI and RSL. The Rythmik's are the best I've used.

Puma Cat 12-19-2021 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkorbal (Post 1051333)
Iím not going to pretend I understand all of that :no: but I am an engineer so I will figure it out. Just not tonight.

:lmao:

If you'd like to know more, Doug, ping me some time and I can talk you through it.
:thumbsup:


Meantime, here's an intro to DOE by JMP (these guys rock, I used to teach DOE with JMP...)

https://www.jmp.com/en_us/events/get...intro-kit.html


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2022 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.