AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Wilson Audio Sabrina Owners Club (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35083)

Dr Tone 03-08-2016 05:17 PM

Wilson Audio Sabrina Owners Club
 
I just finished ordering a set in Galaxy Gray. Didn't want to spend the upgrade price on Titan Red and wanted something different than the fingerprint and dust magnet black. Hated silver and white.

http://members.shaw.ca/jeffflowerday...s/sabrina1.jpg

Now for the longest 4 weeks in my life.

2fastdriving 03-08-2016 06:07 PM

Congratulations! Nice color choice. What are you powering them with?

Dr Tone 03-08-2016 06:11 PM

Devialet 200 right now, have the option to add a 200 companion unit to get to 400 a side dual mono if I feel like expanding some day.

2fastdriving 03-08-2016 06:15 PM

I've heard a lot about them and their SAM profiles. Do they have one for the Sabrina?

Dr Tone 03-08-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 765932)
I've heard a lot about them and their SAM profiles. Do they have one for the Sabrina?

Yes they do.

Sabrina SAM Profile

Masterlu 03-08-2016 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Tone (Post 765933)
Yes they do.

Sabrina SAM Profile

@ Marc... Woo Hoo! :D

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...06ed1a11ed.jpg

2fastdriving 03-09-2016 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 765969)

Hmm not sure what that's supposed to mean! I'm not buying a devialet. But I am fascinated by the technology.:yes:

bds 03-10-2016 06:08 AM

Hello Dr Tone,

hte color is great....with the Devialet try before without SAM !!!

a lot of freind with Devialet & Wilson say me that without the SAM they have a better sound vs with SAM processing.


greets

Dr Tone 03-10-2016 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bds (Post 766224)
Hello Dr Tone,

hte color is great....with the Devialet try before without SAM !!!

a lot of freind with Devialet & Wilson say me that without the SAM they have a better sound vs with SAM processing.


greets

Interesting. I'll give it a try it's easy enough to toggle on and off at the remote.

Toccata 03-11-2016 11:34 AM

These speakers are on my short list to audition. I know rooms vary, but in general, how far away do they need to be from the rear wall? I doubt my wife would want them sitting way out in the room, so I figure 18" is about as far as I can get away with.

Dr Tone 03-11-2016 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata (Post 766469)
These speakers are on my short list to audition. I know rooms vary, but in general, how far away do they need to be from the rear wall? I doubt my wife would want them sitting way out in the room, so I figure 18" is about as far as I can get away with.

They are a smaller speaker and I think Wilson did design them to use that back wall a little. Of course each room is different, here is the manual.

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/pdf/manua...al-sabrina.pdf

After your wife watches the dealer spend 4 hours moving the speaker 1/2 inch at time to get the perfect sound she might feel guilty about wanting to move their placement.

:yes:

Or maybe not.

If you get an in home demo, they dealer will set them up where they need to be and if she's not happy with the placement no matter how friggin' awesome they sound I guess you have to look at another speaker. :icon_thumbsdown:

Toccata 03-11-2016 01:30 PM

If I like them enough, and she simply can't deal with their location, perhaps a slight compromise in ultimate quality is in order. It's too bad they aren't on (lockable) casters--that way, I could roll them into the perfect position, then back against the wall when I'm not listening to them.

Dr Tone 03-11-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata (Post 766501)
If I like them enough, and she simply can't deal with their location, perhaps a slight compromise in ultimate quality is in order. It's too bad they aren't on (lockable) casters--that way, I could roll them into the perfect position, then back against the wall when I'm not listening to them.

When my dealer set up the demo models he used some type of sliding discs, they were dead easy to move around hard wood that way. Maybe that would work for you if you have hard wood?

Slange00 03-16-2016 03:09 AM

Just ordered my pair of Sabrina speakers, now for a painful couple weeks of waiting. Will post pics and impressions when they touch down.

Dr Tone 03-16-2016 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slange00 (Post 767508)
Just ordered my pair of Sabrina speakers, now for a painful couple weeks of waiting. Will post pics and impressions when they touch down.

What colour did you get that they are only couple weeks away? I'm 3 weeks for Galaxy Gray, it originally was 4 weeks but they might be here a week earlier.

Slange00 03-16-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Tone (Post 767546)
What colour did you get that they are only couple weeks away? I'm 3 weeks for Galaxy Gray, it originally was 4 weeks but they might be here a week earlier.

I ended up picking black after all (thought about grey also). According to my dealer the last order they did only took 6 days to be fulfilled. So we may be in a friendly race here :running:

Deckard 03-20-2016 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata (Post 766501)
If I like them enough, and she simply can't deal with their location, perhaps a slight compromise in ultimate quality is in order. It's too bad they aren't on (lockable) casters--that way, I could roll them into the perfect position, then back against the wall when I'm not listening to them.

I got mine in Titan Red a week ago. Absolutely love them, and the best thing in my fairly small space is that when the dealer brought them over for an in home demo, and spent over two hours moving them 1/2 inch at a time (while listening to the same song over, and over, and over again), we found that they sounded best only 8" from the back wall! The dealer took pictures as they have several customers that are also concerned about how far out the Sabrina's need to be from the wall.

I'm driving them with a Classe Sigma SSP and Classe Sigma AMP5. Primary source is a Rega RP6 with Exact2 MM cartridge (turntable is my next upgrade).

Dr Tone 03-21-2016 08:57 AM

Mine shipped late last week. Now for the painful wait as they go to Vancouver to clear customs first. Ugh!

Toccata 03-21-2016 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Tone (Post 766514)
When my dealer set up the demo models he used some type of sliding discs, they were dead easy to move around hard wood that way. Maybe that would work for you if you have hard wood?

Yes, up to a point. The distance from the back wall to the edge of the rug is about 35 inches. Here's a photo:

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/a...pstml2lf1q.jpg

(In case you're wondering what the rug looks like, here's a better view back when I had a Pass Labs amp!)

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/a...pshngmb2vg.jpg

Dr Tone 03-21-2016 08:34 PM

I think you will be aliright as long as you can get the speakers at least 6 inches in front of your center audio unit. WAF? The unit will mess up your center image otherwise.

Toccata 03-21-2016 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Tone (Post 768673)
I think you will be aliright as long as you can get the speakers at least 6 inches in front of your center audio unit. WAF? The unit will mess up your center image otherwise.

They couldn't stay that far out, as the WAF would be very low! But if I can get some of those discs, then I'll be set. (She thinks they are relatively attract by themselves based on photos.) I hope to hear them later this week at a dealer.

Dr Tone 03-21-2016 10:28 PM

I can't believe they think everything pushed back against the wall looks good. Crazy ladies!

Deckard 03-22-2016 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata (Post 768687)
They couldn't stay that far out, as the WAF would be very low! But if I can get some of those discs, then I'll be set. (She thinks they are relatively attract by themselves based on photos.) I hope to hear them later this week at a dealer.

The Sabrina comes with spikes, and also metal disks with an impression on one side for the spike to fit in. My dealer brought along some of those little round felt furniture pads you can get at any hardware store to put on the bottom of the disks, so there's no concern about sliding the speakers over my hardwood floors. I don't know if the disks or felt pads have any impact on the speakers' performance, but we all have to live with real world compromises.

Toccata 03-23-2016 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Tone (Post 768673)
I think you will be aliright as long as you can get the speakers at least 6 inches in front of your center audio unit. WAF? The unit will mess up your center image otherwise.

I moved my current speakers forward by about 8-9 inches--I can't get over how much better they sound--clearer upper bass/lower mids and more precise imaging. My wife objected at first, but when I told her I just saved us $16,000, she decided they didn't look too bad! I'd love to get a pair of Wilsons some day, but for a while I'm satisfied. Thanks for the tip!

Dr Tone 03-23-2016 04:07 PM

Mine are being delivered and setup on Friday. Yahoooo!

Deckard 03-24-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Tone (Post 769026)
Mine are being delivered and setup on Friday. Yahoooo!

Congratulations! I know you'll be as happy as I am with mine! What color did you end up going with?

Dr Tone 03-24-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deckard (Post 769239)
Congratulations! I know you'll be as happy as I am with mine! What color did you end up going with?

Galaxy Gray

Slange00 03-24-2016 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Tone (Post 769026)
Mine are being delivered and setup on Friday. Yahoooo!

Congrats Dr Tone, waiting for mine as well, they should get here next week - post your impressions and photos when you get a chance!

Dr Tone 03-25-2016 05:26 PM

Well they are really tight and bright sounding right now, brand new speaker cable as well as I needed spades for them.

I hope I don't piss the neighbors off trying to get these to the dealer demo units sound quality.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1464/...4e42d780_h.jpg

krustycat 03-25-2016 07:01 PM

Grills off please..........please?

Dr Tone 03-25-2016 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krustycat (Post 769509)
Grills off please..........please?

These are one of the only speakers I like better will the grills on.

Lots of pictures with the grills off on the good old internets. :yes:

Here's one:

http://static.robbreport.com/sites/d...na-cove-11.jpg

krustycat 03-25-2016 07:40 PM

I am one crazy person that thinks the grills affect the sound. That's why, I had listened to them in person and was very impressed by the sound of such little speakers per say. Amazing sound, enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Dr Tone 03-25-2016 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krustycat (Post 769533)
I am one crazy person that thinks the grills affect the sound. That's why, I had listened to them in person and was very impressed by the sound of such little speakers per say. Amazing sound, enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

They need a few hundred hours and then I'll start playing with the parameters.

:banana:

Dr Tone 03-26-2016 10:50 AM

Some more light and the grills off as requested.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1551/...b86893e2_h.jpg

Dr Tone 03-26-2016 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bds (Post 766224)
Hello Dr Tone,

hte color is great....with the Devialet try before without SAM !!!

a lot of freind with Devialet & Wilson say me that without the SAM they have a better sound vs with SAM processing.


greets

You are right, I turned off SAM and what a revelation! I didn't believe you and didn't even try until a Devialet Chat forum member tried it with his Sofia 3s and was shocked by the result.

krustycat 03-26-2016 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Tone (Post 769687)
Some more light and the grills off as requested.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1551/...b86893e2_h.jpg

Beautiful *****graphy. :D

Dr Tone 03-27-2016 08:38 PM

A little twist to reduce toe-in has done wonders to fill in center image and reduce the top end. Used a hardwood line on the outside spike and my laser measure on the inside speaker edge pointed at my chair to get the toe in exact. Just able to see a sliver of the inside of the speaker now.

Funny how such minor changes to placement can have such a big effect. Crazy!

metaphacts 03-27-2016 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Tone (Post 770135)
..

Funny how such minor changes to placement can have such a big effect. Crazy!

As expected, an inch is a mile in speaker set up. :yes:

Slange00 04-10-2016 02:47 AM

7 Attachment(s)
My Sabrinas have arrived, I will post impressions when they have had some time to burn in (they already sound stunning...).

In the meantime, here are a few pictures:

Attachment 45106
Attachment 45107
Attachment 45108
Attachment 45109
Attachment 45110
Attachment 45111
Attachment 45112

Elberoth 04-10-2016 06:59 AM

Got the Sabrinas at home right now. I have to admit - this is great sounding speaker, that does everything just right. They are beautifully balanced, throw a big and stable soundstage, and sound much bigger than their size may suggest. I think Wilsom nmay have a winner in the sub-$20k category.

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/3236/6fWcg1.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/7497/OCND0e.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/8610/71qO1k.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/2820/cHGXOX.jpg

They were a bit too bass happy in my room, but part closing the bass port with a sponge did the trick for me.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2021 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.