AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Loke TAS review (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=51579)

Charles 09-15-2022 11:47 AM

Loke TAS review

The Loke was reviewed in the October 2022 TAS. It received a wonderful review as I thought it would. Ultimately, it's the quality of the LF reproduction that matters not the generic class-D amp.

My only concern is that I would rather have seen the Loke at least used with a suitable smaller speaker run HP/LP through the new ActivXO. But I believe enough was there in the review to put to rest the quality of the Loke and justify its cost. To me I would always use it with Wilson speakers up to and including the new Alexia V in pairs. This would put the sub system at around 20K. If you are going to buy a Wilson you have to understand you will pay more.

Best

Charles

PeterMusic 09-20-2022 01:22 PM

I expect to buy a LoKe in a couple of months, so it was nice to see the all-positive write up. Like Charles, I have a basic faith that anything Wilson does will be great. But I have to say I was disappointed in the AS article, not sure I'd call it a review.

Too often, subwoofers, power treatments, isolation devices, and other gear get second class treatment from reviewers. The gear is not compared to competitors, but to the absence of the gear. Of course adding a subwoofer is going to improve your sound! But what I really want to know is how the LoKe compares to REL, SV, et al...

FreddieFerric 10-01-2022 09:57 AM

It's a nice write-up and a validation of Wilson's engineering behind this sub. If I were to spring for a sub of that expense, I would certainly insist on buying spare amp plates while they are available. Every active sub I've owned has had amp plate failures somewhere along the line, and with the provenence of Loke's amp plate now being known, I would take zero chances with it. JMHO.

Charles 10-01-2022 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 1066941)
It's a nice write-up and a validation of Wilson's engineering behind this sub. If I were to spring for a sub of that expense, I would certainly insist on buying spare amp plates while they are available. Every active sub I've owned has had amp plate failures somewhere along the line, and with the provenence of Loke's amp plate now being known, I would take zero chances with it. JMHO.

Freddie, I would have no reservations regarding the amp. I am sure that Wilson believes it reliable.

I was on my way back home from a trip yesterday when a good friend called. He is about 45 and knows as much about audio as anyone I know. He uses nothing but class D amps. He has two systems, one upstairs and one in the basement. He uses no room treatments. His upstairs system employs 14 channels and full DSP correction. His Revels are used sealed and crossed over to his 4 subs at 90 Hz. He is not interested in anything below 30 Hz. He uses a center channel. He comes over frequently to listen to my system, using mine as a reference for the sound he wishes to achieve. He can switch from multichannel to 2 channel by remote control. His basement system will be more impressive than his upstairs and will use JBL when finally accomplished.

He is very high on class D amps. I think Legacy uses class D amplification. I would have no hesitation at all in using class D amplification for subs. In fact, if I were re-doing my entire system, I would probably go with class D amplification for my Thors' or Subsonics', if I had room for two subs, which I don't.

Today's class D's are competitive with other amplifier classes, IMO. :yes:

Best

Charles

FreddieFerric 10-01-2022 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1066948)
Freddie, I would have no reservations regarding the amp. I am sure that Wilson believes it reliable.

I was on my way back home from a trip yesterday when a good friend called. He is about 45 and knows as much about audio as anyone I know. He uses nothing but class D amps. He has two systems, one upstairs and one in the basement. He uses no room treatments. His upstairs system employs 14 channels and full DSP correction. His Revels are used sealed and crossed over to his 4 subs at 90 Hz. He is not interested in anything below 30 Hz. He uses a center channel. He comes over frequently to listen to my system, using mine as a reference for the sound he wishes to achieve. He can switch from multichannel to 2 channel by remote control. His basement system will be more impressive than his upstairs and will use JBL when finally accomplished.

He is very high on class D amps. I think Legacy uses class D amplification. I would have no hesitation at all in using class D amplification for subs. In fact, if I were re-doing my entire system, I would probably go with class D amplification for my Thors' or Subsonics', if I had room for two subs, which I don't.

Today's class D's are competitive with other amplifier classes, IMO. :yes:

Best

Charles

Hi Charles.

I agree, Class D has made major strides in recent years. I think a sort of validation of the technology is YG Acoustics partnering with Bel Canto to provide the Class D amplification for their new and very intriguing Vantage Live speaker system which received a very positive TAS review recently.

I've read in the past that Wilson takes great pains to stock sufficient parts that will last them for years. I just happen to be of the opinion that if a plate amp can fail, it will fail eventually. Time being the unknown factor. Again, this is JMHO.