AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Pass Labs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Int-25 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=50613)

Formerly YB-2 12-02-2021 10:13 PM

"int-25"

1 Attachment(s)
After three years, decided it is time to rotate back to solid-state, so ordered an INT-25. My Canton Ref 9Ks has done so well with 20wpc of Class A tubes that am thinking that 25wpc of solid-state Class A should (I hope) be just the ticket. Supposed to have confirmation on shipping some time tomorrow. The waiting has begun.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1638497583

Edit: OUCH!! Pass is quoting 13 weeks delivery with a $350 price increase. Ah, well. Like my new car, likely be the amp I die with (am 74).

FreddieFerric 12-11-2021 04:43 PM

Congratulations on the new purchase Glenn. Nelson Pass is a genius designer and utterly committed to his craft.

I've heard numerous iterations of his gear and everything he produces is special. If I wasn't going into a tube amp I'd look hard at his Class A offerings as well.

25 pure Class A watts will no doubt drive your 9K's to sonic bliss. :yes:

JoeN 12-11-2021 04:47 PM

Pass makes some awesome gear. Though I’m updating my system in a serious way, I’m seriously considering keeping my Pass 260.8s. If they get replaced it will only be by some EMM Labs or Boulder monos.

Puma Cat 12-12-2021 01:23 AM

Congrats, Glenn.

Please post your impressions when you get your INT-25...I'm very curious about it, as well. I seriously considered getting one after building my little AmpCamp amps (until I got a Constellation Inspiration integrated amp in on a loan, that is. Sorry, a bit off-topic).

Like most folks here, I'm a huge fan of Nelson's designs and products.

joel_hifi 12-12-2021 02:55 AM

Glenn, congratulations on your new acquisition, Nelson Pass designs some very nice amps, please enjoy!

Btw the price increase you mention of about 5% seems to be pretty reasonable, well below the increases of 10-20% I’ve been reading and hearing about in the rest of the industry (Ivan please correct me if I wrong).

Formerly YB-2 12-12-2021 08:44 AM

Thanks, all. Unfortunately, 'tis a long wait.

Am also a fan of Nelson's work. A big part of that is his use of vertical FETs (developed by NEC and used by Sony & Yamaha back in the late 70's - early 80's, my 'screen name' alludes to the Yamaha B-2 VFET amp I used for many years). Nelson developed the guiding principles for amps with no degeneration and feels that is the reason the 25wpc INT-25 & XA25 class A pieces work so well on so many speakers.

Another reason I've given much thought to the INT-25 & XA25 is the fact that Neson is using only two power device (each rated at 700watts & 40amps) per channel. To my ears, the best sounding amps I've used over the years have always been those that use only two output devices (Bryston's unfortunately no longer offered 2B-LP and tube amps with only two tubes per channel). These amps have always provided a speed & clarity that the use of additional output devices seems to blur, for a lack of a better term. From the reviews I've read, there have been quite a few, most folks find the INT-25 & XA25 to offer these attributes.

FreddieFerric 12-12-2021 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 1050732)
Thanks, all. Unfortunately, 'tis a long wait.

Am also a fan of Nelson's work. A big part of that is his use of vertical FETs (developed by NEC and used by Sony & Yamaha back in the late 70's - early 80's, my 'screen name' alludes to the Yamaha B-2 VFET amp I used for many years). Nelson developed the guiding principles for amps with no degeneration and feels that is the reason the 25wpc INT-25 & XA25 class A pieces work so well on so many speakers.

Another reason I've given much thought to the INT-25 & XA25 is the fact that Neson is using only two power device (each rated at 700watts & 40amps) per channel. To my ears, the best sounding amps I've used over the years have always been those that use only two output devices (Bryston's unfortunately no longer offered 2B-LP and tube amps with only two tubes per channel). These amps have always provided a speed & clarity that the use of additional output devices seems to blur, for a lack of a better term. From the reviews I've read, there have been quite a few, most folks find the INT-25 & XA25 to offer these attributes.

Very cool Glenn. I often wondered what your screen name meant.

Formerly YB-2 12-13-2021 02:33 PM

Yes......... VFETs rule for clarity & speed. :thumbsup:

I just got finished talking with Desmond at Pass Labs. He tells me my INT-25 is one of the last pieces for which they are quoting 12-13 weeks. He said they are swamped with orders and will quoting 22-24 weeks soon. As he said, good for them in the sense that business is good, but not good in that they can't get their products to customers in a more timely fashion.

Forgot to mention that I spoke to another Pass dealer who told me that he expects another round of price increases "soon". Not just from Pass but from any number of other high-end companies. Glad my order is 'in the queue'.

FreddieFerric 01-13-2022 02:52 PM

Hoping that one might shake lose sonner, so, any news on the amp Glenn?

Formerly YB-2 01-13-2022 03:38 PM

Still March, at best.