AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Revel Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Audio Research amp for Revel Salon 2 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49768)

Paulvo 04-10-2021 12:43 PM

Audio Research amp for Revel Salon 2

Hi, I’m a newbie here so I need your advice. I always had Mcintosh gear for the past 25 years, last year I bought a pair Revel Salon 2 speakers and I really like it , I have Mcintosh MC601s and C2600 preamp but somehow I don’t like bass in this systems so I want to make change , I just bought a Ref6 pre and I’m looking for a new amp . Any recommend from current Salon 2 owner are welcome . Do you think any Audio Research amp that has enough power to drive the Salon 2 ? Here is the list of amp that I heard very good on the review .
- Krell FPB600 , FPB 700cx or 450 cx
- Hegel H30
- Pass labs X350.5 or X.350.8
- Audio Research Ref 75se .
Please let me know what’s your thought.
Thanks
Paul

George Prentice 04-10-2021 08:04 PM

To me what you describe is the Mac sound, a bit heavy on the bass, good midrange, light on detail. I normally would recommend all Audio Research gear. I was shocked by how synergistic it is. But I am not sure the ARC 75se will be up to it. 86db sensitivity of the speakers is my concern. Someone else chime in if you disagree. But the REF160m maybe s would probably have enough power. What kind of music do you listen to? That could swing the argument. I owned a Pass x350 for many years with several different Sonus Speakers. I loved it. Great slam and detail. Only small risk would be you might loose a bit too much midrange. With ARC it is just right. I know Krell as well... could go either way.

Let me tell you my biased opinion. You see my bias in my signature line. My first high end preamp was ARC, it stopped my constant searching for a great preamp... took me another 35 years to afford a REF 5. The Audio Research Reference 6 is a world class preamp, musical, detailed, and well balanced... it does everything well. If you like the sound, make a long termed plan to build all ARC components to compliment it. Understanding that a speaker change might be a bit earlier in the future than you wished if it turns out a bit too inefficient.

Maybe go to a showroom featuring all ARC components to confirm your interest in following through with all ARC.

jpgr4blu 04-10-2021 10:06 PM

George Prentice
+1
Excellent advice all around.

New guy 04-11-2021 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulvo (Post 1036594)
Hi, I’m a newbie here so I need your advice. I always had Mcintosh gear for the past 25 years, last year I bought a pair Revel Salon 2 speakers and I really like it , I have Mcintosh MC601s and C2600 preamp but somehow I don’t like bass in this systems so I want to make change , I just bought a Ref6 pre and I’m looking for a new amp . Any recommend from current Salon 2 owner are welcome . Do you think any Audio Research amp that has enough power to drive the Salon 2 ? Here is the list of amp that I heard very good on the review .
- Krell FPB600 , FPB 700cx or 450 cx
- Hegel H30
- Pass labs X350.5 or X.350.8
- Audio Research Ref 75se .
Please let me know what’s your thought.
Thanks
Paul

I have Revel salon 2 and ref 6 preamp. The salon2s are a bit difficult to drive so they need at least 250W or more. This rules out The ref 75se.
All the mentioned Krell amps will easily drive the Salons and the Ref 6 matches well with a Krell. I had the Krell FPB 450 Mcx a few years ago and it’s a very good amp. It was replaced with a Krell Evolution 403E with similar power. The Evolution sounds a bit more refined than 450mcx.
I also have ARC ref 250se monoblocks which can drive the salon 2s fairly easily. The ref250se sounds very different than the Krell. ARC being a tube amp has better imaging, vocal and soundstage. The Krell is more dynamic and has better low end which is what they are known for. I tend to use the Krell for casual listening and home theater.
I also had Pass labs x250.5 for a few days didn’t like them, way too warm.
I borrowed a friend’s Ayre KXR 20 preamp with MXR 20 amp driving the Salon 2 and I really liked this combination. If I were to start over, I would go with this combination. It sounds so natural and easy to listen. It has the best of solid state and tube qualities.

I hope this information helps a bit.

Rich

Paulvo 04-11-2021 06:46 PM

Thanks !
George Prentice
Rich
I might try to go with ARC amp if I can find a good deal on used one , I never audition a Krell or ARC before, I always have McIntosh, I owned a pair of Mark Levinson ML436 for a while but because I got used to the sound of McIntosh for so long after two month I go back to McIntosh. I live in Tampa , FL and sadly there are no Audio Store in business, they all closed , the nearest is Sun Coast Audio which is two hours drive from me . I bought all of my gears online without knowing how it sound in my system. This hobby is never end always searching for something new .
Paul

George Prentice 04-11-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulvo (Post 1036671)
Thanks !
George Prentice
Rich
I might try to go with ARC amp if I can find a good deal on used one , I never audition a Krell or ARC before, I always have McIntosh, I owned a pair of Mark Levinson ML436 for a while but because I got used to the sound of McIntosh for so long after two month I go back to McIntosh. I live in Tampa , FL and sadly there are no Audio Store in business, they all closed , the nearest is Sun Coast Audio which is two hours drive from me . I bought all of my gears online without knowing how it sound in my system. This hobby is never end always searching for something new .
Paul

Your very welcome. Happily I usually reach a plateau and really enjoy it for 8 - 10 years. Honestly the plateau I am currently on is higher than I though I could afford/was possible. If traveling to hear something. I will call them up and arrange the equipment I want to hear and a time. Stay over night if you need to go further. Make it a fun trip. Given the category you are shopping they should welcome you. We are talking components at the cost of new cars!

New guy 04-11-2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulvo (Post 1036671)
Thanks !
George Prentice
Rich
Paul

Paul,

The ARC ref 250se pops on the usual internet site pretty frequently at very attractive with full warranty. I think ARC got rid of their remaining inventory at huge discount. Just keep your eyes on it.

You can also talk to Mike at Sun Coast. I think he had the same speakers and ref 250 at some point.

I have listened to ML a few times and found the sound to be dark.

Rich

gadawg 04-12-2021 07:53 AM

Just a thought ... the new Mark Levinson No536 mono blocks are not at all like the previous Levinson amps and are not dark in any way. Great bass, extremely dynamic, very good detail and an incredible soundstage. I went from MC601's to these and when I heard them in my system it took 5 seconds to realize that in my system I liked the Levinson's far better than the 601's. Have another friend that did the exact same thing .. 601s-> No536's. You can also find them at great prices lately so you might want to have a listen and they mate up extremely well with the Salon's. I'm powering Wilson Alexx with mine and power is never an issue! Feeding mine with a BAT Rex2 pre amp so same concept ... tube pre going to the solid state amps. Good luck with your decision.

George

GSOphile 04-12-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadawg (Post 1036695)
Just a thought ... the new Mark Levinson No536 mono blocks are not at all like the previous Levinson amps and are not dark in any way. Great bass, extremely dynamic, very good detail and an incredible soundstage. I went from MC601's to these and when I heard them in my system it took 5 seconds to realize that in my system I liked the Levinson's far better than the 601's. Have another friend that did the exact same thing .. 601s-> No536's. You can also find them at great prices lately so you might want to have a listen and they mate up extremely well with the Salon's. I'm powering Wilson Alexx with mine and power is never an issue! Feeding mine with a BAT Rex2 pre amp so same concept ... tube pre going to the solid state amps. Good luck with your decision.

George

Big +1

edward3132 04-12-2021 01:54 PM

Another vote for the 536's. I am using with ARC Ref6 to run my Maestro's

You cannot go wrong with an ARC tube amp but would need to start with 160M or 160S. The 75 does not have enough power.

Should not be too hard to find a 536/Salon 2 combo to audition as they are both manufactured by Harmon so a dealer would probably have them together.

Good luck

Edward