AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Esoteric K-03 drawer problem (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43656)

accudude 08-28-2018 08:57 PM

Esoteric K-03 drawer problem

Recently, my esoteric K03 had been reluctant to open and close is drawer properly, sometimes sounding a little weak, sometimes not being able to open or close and show a "tray error" display. I opened it up to check on the belts (a ribbed long one for moving the tray and a small o ring for moving the disk up and down). Both seems fine. I went on to reposition the long belt such that it wouldn't always be folded at the same spot (the pulleys) at rest. After a couple more test runs, the motor for sliding the drawer no longer seems to be moving (the one for moving the disk up still does), and I'm currently left with a manual drawer. ( Thankfully, I can still load a disk and play)

Before getting the massive thing to service, is there anything else I should look at or try? Is there anything as a diagnostic reset that I can do like a computer?

Thanks.

paulphoosreal 08-28-2018 08:59 PM

Try shutting the machine completely off. Remove power cord from power and let unit sit for 5 minutes. It could be your microprocessor has a build up of static electricity. Good luck!

accudude 08-28-2018 09:33 PM

I tried that. I left it unplugged for almost a day, and even left the power button at the on position such that it'll drain whatever power is left. However, the settings are still there, so I guess it either always keep settings in a storage or it didn't reset completely. I'm hoping/guessing that there is possibly some key sequence to do a complete reboot?

I also tried the stop button + power on procedure, which would clear settings, but apparently it does just that and maybe not resetting the machine itself.

Thanks.

Masterlu 08-28-2018 09:46 PM

Get your Dealer in Asia involved for service.

accudude 08-28-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 928969)
Get your Dealer in Asia involved for service.

Thanks.

Eventually I would. Just want to see if there are any simple things to try before going through the hassle.

brodricj 08-30-2018 01:54 AM

That's what I worry about...if an Esoteric breaks down, getting it fixed.

accudude 08-30-2018 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brodricj (Post 929137)
That's what I worry about...if an Esoteric breaks down, getting it fixed.

Well, to look at things positively, it does force you to appreciate the robustness and weight of the casing and components of the thing. Lol.

accudude 09-22-2018 11:42 AM

An update on my K-03 drawer issue.
Repairman from distributor came for a house visit.
Ultimately replaced two belt/o-rings, one being the one near the front of the transport that moves the disc up and down. The other is unexpectedly quite hidden. It is accessed by removing the very heavy bottom cover, the control board that sits in the middle (and removing a good number of wires attached to it), then another metal cover under it. Then, the motor and the little belt that in turn drives the long ridged belt visible from the top side can be seen and accessed. After replacing these two little belts, it works again!
Costed me a reasonable approx. US$90, about 65 for the visit and the remainder for parts.
I'm happy again.

Canonicus 09-22-2018 12:26 PM

Congrats on a successful repair. :thumbsup:
Glad you're happy again! :banana:

krustycat 09-22-2018 12:49 PM

Excellent!

Very fair price for an in house repair.