AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   What are you driving your Focals with? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=22115)

C2300MC275 07-18-2013 03:49 PM

What are you driving your Focals with?

Hi all,

As per title really. Just interested o hear from fellow owners. I am driving my Maestro Utopias with a Devialet D Premier. Sure you can make the Focals sound more relaxed and perhaps deeper soundstage but for resolution and sheer excitement, I love the combo tbh.

If I had the spare $$$$, I would love to try them with Vtl Siegfrieds.

Cheers,

Bill

-E- 07-18-2013 03:54 PM

Still one of the top combos I have heard with them was with the Halcro monoblocks.

But, something more down to earth?

Bryson, Boulder, Cary, Aesthetix all good choices...

Then again so is the Devialet - I heard the Scalas on those no more than a few weeks ago. It ran outta gas at higher volumes, but the concept was sound. Not to mention such a high WAF - it's a hard to beat combo if you are space/wife constrained.

fgchong 07-18-2013 08:05 PM

I had my Alto Utopia Be for more than 6 years, was first driven by Pass X-350, then Audio Space Ref 3, followed by Mac MC452 and currently Goldmund Telos 250. Each combination has its strength and weakness, IMO Goldmund make the Alto sing like she never sang before.

hifinutt 07-23-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C2300MC275 (Post 513541)
Hi all,

As per title really. Just interested o hear from fellow owners. I am driving my Maestro Utopias with a Devialet D Premier. Sure you can make the Focals sound more relaxed and perhaps deeper soundstage but for resolution and sheer excitement, I love the combo tbh.

Cheers,

Bill

I have driven my focals with belles mb200 power amps and sounded just great . very organic
used many pre amps and funnily enough the VTL pre was the only one that I didn`t like at all !!!

justubes 07-24-2013 02:52 AM

Is the maestro because of the additional bass driver harder to setup in the room as compared with the scala possibly where rooms are not neutral and tend to boom with more low frequency energy?

Quote:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Bill

steve ringler 07-29-2013 10:37 PM

Scalas and Mac 601s

No surprise that this combo produces immaculate reproduction of all forms of music.Smooth AND detailed! Steve

cheez 07-31-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Bill

I'm driving my Focal CMS65's with a PC sound card Asus Xonar DX7.1. Terrific sound.

Later on I'll get the Creative EMU-0404 external DAC for my PC.

cheez

C2300MC275 07-31-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justubes (Post 515278)
Is the maestro because of the additional bass driver harder to setup in the room as compared with the scala possibly where rooms are not neutral and tend to boom with more low frequency energy?

I don't ever hear the Maestros boom per se but then I never had them in a small room. They have 2 11" bass drivers per speaker and can shift some air for sure.

I think Scala is easier to install for most rooms though. That said, I used to own Scala and the Maestro offers much bigger scale image, bass depth, and slightly more balanced overall.

justubes 08-01-2013 12:10 AM

Thanks for your input. Was there any particular reason motivating your upgrade to the bigger speakers, i.e shortcomings of the Scala?

Having both in your system for some time. Was there any particulars strengths of the Scala over it's bigger brother as i they are not similar sounding at all.

"Maestro offers much bigger scale image, bass depth, and slightly more balanced overall" --- Does this apply to all recordings or more so on very good recordings as poorer recording may not show these strengths?

JRSBat 08-05-2013 03:01 PM

I am powering my little 816vs with a Jolida 302BRC 50W tube amp. Tubes and Focals seem like a nice combo.