AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   VPI Industries (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   It's been a long time coming! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49978)

Vintage Pete 06-19-2021 04:08 PM

It's been a long time coming!

I've always loved vinyl. Yes, I took some lengthy breaks from it, especially in the late 80's and early 90's when it appeared CD's would rule the roost going forward. But I never ditched my LP collection, or my turntable.
In the early 80's, I decided I needed to upgrade my turntable from the Scott automatic I'd been rolling with for a few years. I was dreaming of high end tables then-the Oracle Delphi was high on the list, but it was a lofty goal
for me then. I thought about Micro Seiki, and others. One day, I came home with a Harman Kardon T60 turntable, which was really a nice table for the money. And it really did a nice job, so nice in fact that it served me for
about 38 years, until exactly one week ago.

I'd been seriously thinking of going for a truly high end table for the last few years. Last week, I finally set up a gorgeous VPI Prime Signature turntable, together with an Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge. With critical
help from Ivan, I was able to procure this statement turntable in Rosewood, the last of its kind that will be produced. Since my McIntosh C40 preamp only has a moving magnet phono pre, I had special ordered through a local
dealer a McIntosh MP100 MM/MC phono preamp. Capping it off is a Stillpoints LP1-V2 Record clamp (from Ivan, of course).

There were challenges to integrating these items into my living room system. Firstly, the phono pre should be in fairly close proximity to the turntable, and not too far from the system preamp. Next to the new turntable wasn't
going to work either, as I need room there for my vinyl accessories, as I have for years. I had my Harmon Kardon table atop a nice butcher block style platform that I had built way back in my high school years, along with my
cabinet for my vinyl LP's. This platform was really not quite large enough for the Prime Signature turntable, especially if a dust cover would be eventually added. So, the solution I arrived at was to construct a new platform, wider,
deeper and thicker than the old, and also elevated. In this way I could locate the McIntosh MP100 underneath the turntable. This is not only ideal, but also buys me more real estate next to it for a future component. It took a bit
over 3 months (13 weeks) to complete, from the time the first check was written. There was the wait for VPI to produce the last table in Rosewood, the ordering of of the materials for the platform, finding a local woodworker to
construct the platform with legs based on my design using the 1.75" thick walnut butcher block I ordered from a lumber company in Ohio. The legs had to be reinforced such to support the very heavy turntable. Once completed,
I finished the assembly using danish oil. I mounted Dayton Audio isolation spikes to the bottoms of the legs, raising the platform another roughly 1.5" to reach the design height. Then there was the wait for McIntosh, production
behind due to Covid-19 related parts shortages. The MP100 finally arrived at my door on Friday, June 11.

The results have certainly been worth all the time, expense and effort....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...674d0889_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...440085bf_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...788fa814_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2be5d738_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...bd9f9ff5_b.jpg

A few thoughts on the individual components.....

The VPI Prime Signature-Rosewood

This VPI Prime Signature is, quite simply, a work of art. In my quest for my dream turntable, I kept coming back to this one. The Rosewood was the real icing on the cake, I just couldn't stop looking at this table.
It is finished to perfection, is massive, very heavy and well isolated. The platter is also massive and heavy (20 lbs) and the beautifully finished motor is also quite heavy. I believe the whole package is roughly
80 pounds.

My particular table is supplied with the JMW10 Gimballed arm. Many VPI tables utilize a Unipivot arm, including the Prime Signature. Although I did not specify an arm preference, I think I would prefer the gimbal
version as it does not have the "wobbly" feel of the unipivot. The unipivot does offer one nice perk-the leveling side counterweights to achieve proper azimuth. Using the supplied leveling gauge, I determined that
the headshell was not perfectly level to the platter surface. Lacking the unipivot side weight system, I ended up putting one of the supplied very thin washers between the top of the Cadenza Black cartridge and
the underside of the headshell on
one side. The cartridge is now perfectly level.

The JMW10 Gimbal arm is a beauty:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...86e6f34a_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...57db89fe_b.jpg

The arm has the well known VPI feature of "on the fly" VTA adjustment. I believe I have this set to be roughly correct, though I confess I'm still trying to figure out what is truly the correct starting point, from
which I adjust for thicker, 180 gram pressings. There are also opinions as to what is "best" for a particular cartridge. If there are Cadenza Black owners out there with thoughts on this, I'd welcome them.

Since this table does not of course have an auto-lift feature for the arm built in (as my HK did), I have an Integrity Fidelity Tru-left automatic arm lifter arriving tomorrow.

The Ortofon Cadenza Black Moving Coil Cartridge

The Ortofon Cadenza Black sits at the top of Ortofon's Cadenza line. I had listened to the cartridge many times at our late friend Dan's (aka jdandy) home in North Florida. I was really floored by its performance
in his Michell Gyro SE turntable, and from the start of my turntable project there was little doubt this was the cartridge I would opt for. It is smooth, dynamic, great soundstaging, everything you could want. Not
exactly cheap, but well worth the money.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...72d70c3b_b.jpg

The McIntosh MP100 Phono Preamplifier

The McIntosh MP100 was McIntosh's first standalone phono preamp offering, and was introduced I believe in 2016. I've been interested in it since I first learned of it. It is compact, has lots of features, and like
any McIntosh piece, is beautiful in appearance. Most reviews I have read have been very positive. Some have the opinion there are better, but phono preamps are rather like headphone amps-everyone has an
opinion as to who makes the holy grail, and you can spend a fortune. McIntosh has a higher end offering-the mighty MP1100, a full sized vacuum tube phono preamp. But at $8500, I don't have the budget for it,
or the space, for that matter. The MP100 has features I likely will not use, such as the ability to digitize your vinyl. Since some believe the introduction of these digital circuits could compromise fidelity for die-hard
analog listeners, this circuitry can be easily deactivated. I really don't know what detriment, if any, is inherent by leaving the circuits on, but I have deactivated it. The unit also allows one to experiment with cartridge
loading via convenient front panel controls. This is much more convenient than the DIP switches we have to fiddle with on the underside, or even inside some products. So far, I have listened almost entirely using the
25 ohm MC setting, which seems to be what Ortofon recommends for the Cadenza Black.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...84e21997_b.jpg

My overall impressions

Since the VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Black, and McIntosh MP100 phono preamplifier we all purchased and set up at the same time, I really can't review any one of the components, as compared to the one
it replaced (i.e. the phono cartridge). All I can do is give my impression of the entire setup, and how it melds into my existing system. And I will say this: it is fabulous to listen to and visually stunning. The soundstage
is wide and deep. The Ortofon Cadenza Black is everything I expected. The McIntosh MP100 seems to be a very fine phono preamp, especially for the money. It is very transparent, and very quiet. Isn't that what we want? I
t is very likely the only phono preamp I will ever need. The overall performance of the combo is, at times, breathtaking. For example, I've played a few times the soundtrack from Flashdance-Irene Cara's What a Feeling is really
something to hear on this turntable. The vinyl can be played very loudly with no ill effects whatsoever. Smooth, clean, powerful and very three-dimensional. Visually, I could not be happier with the new setup. It has transformed
the system's appearance in a big way, making a statement every time I walk into the room.

The VPI Prime Signature is, without a doubt, a world-class product, and I'm quite sure it will be my last turntable purchase. My Harmon-Kardon T60 has been repurposed-it is now on duty in my Florida Room's vintage system.
It is a fine performer in its own right-perfect for that system with its Ortofon 2M Black moving magnet cartridge.

I will post further impression as the turntable, phono preamp, and cartridge break in, and as I accessorize the setup. In the very near future, a VPI periphery ring will be inbound. I also need a dust cover. So, this thread will be
updated from time to time.

Finally, here's a huge shout out to Ivan, for your help on the turntable and cartridge side of this project. Your help made a monumental impact, as it has so many times. I thank you my friend! I only wish our friend Dan could have
been here to watch this one come together. He was well aware of my plans to eventually make this move.

Yamaki 06-19-2021 04:36 PM

Wow!

Pete...that is a fantastic upgrade.

Congratulations!

Masterlu 06-19-2021 04:38 PM

Pete… Extremely well done; great photos, and write up as always too!

Enjoy it in great health. :ok:

SCAudiophile 06-19-2021 04:42 PM

Congratulations Pete..beautiful TT!

bart 06-19-2021 04:55 PM

Pete, I'm happy for you!
As always, a review that is a joy to read.
Your enthusiasm is infectious.
Your photographs breathe the cosiness of your listening room.

I smiled when I read:
'...but also buys me more real estate next to it for a future component'
Pete, stating this immediately after such an upgrade... you are a true audiophile! :D

JBT 06-19-2021 06:01 PM

Looks awesome Pete! Great additions to your system!

:thumbsup::banana::music:

clpetersen 06-19-2021 06:29 PM

What an amazing system! Congrats!! The photos are excellent as well, and thanks for sharing all the details.

Enjoy!

crwilli 06-19-2021 07:06 PM

Congrats Pete!

Vintage Pete 06-19-2021 09:34 PM

Thank you gentlemen....one and all! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

audioguy3107 06-19-2021 09:58 PM

Pete - nice photos! That's a great looking table, no doubt. Enjoy! (I think the gimballed arm is the way to go).

- Buck

Vintage Pete 06-19-2021 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 1040128)
Pete - nice photos! That's a great looking table, no doubt. Enjoy! (I think the gimballed arm is the way to go).

- Buck

Buck....thanks. And, I agree.... :yes: :yes:

miner 06-19-2021 10:47 PM

Pete - happy you have finally received you hardware. Great choices all around. I know Dan is smiling from above and would approve of your write up, too. Enjoy in good health Pete

Antonmb 06-20-2021 01:18 AM

Congratulations Pete, that’s a gorgeous setup. The table is, as you say a work of art.

80B 06-20-2021 01:56 AM

Congratulations Pete, and a great writeup. Thanks for sharing.

JemHadar 06-20-2021 05:15 AM

Thanks for sharing Pete. Great pics and write up, enjoy in good health

W9TR 06-20-2021 08:26 AM

Pete - it’s great to see you get your vinyl groove on in a big way! Super nicely done my friend. Enjoy on good health.
Tom

joel_hifi 06-20-2021 08:49 AM

Pete, thanks for sharing your impressions and nice pictures, congrats, top notch analog set up and great overall system :thumbsup:

sandecker 06-20-2021 08:54 AM

Great photos, congratulations with new TT and components [emoji3]

cleeds 06-20-2021 11:45 AM

That's a beautiful turntable and I think you made a great choice. You are going to have a lot of fun with the VPI!

Maks 06-20-2021 05:25 PM

Amazing system, enjoy!

Joe 06-20-2021 06:45 PM

Congrats Pete!
Certainly worth the wait, right?
Another in a series of great audio events! Epic you could say.
And "Groovy"
Nice work, man!

Weirdcuba 06-20-2021 09:12 PM

Congrats Pete. Absolutely beautiful set up that probably sounds as good as it looks. Enjoy…

longbowbbs 06-21-2021 08:37 PM

Sweet table! I have it in black with the Bronze and I love it. Enjoy!

Rick U 06-21-2021 10:28 PM

Drop dead gorgeous. That’s a plan coming together.

Stahle 06-21-2021 11:51 PM

Beautiful. I love seeing systems like this with photography to match.

George Prentice 06-22-2021 02:02 AM

Gorgeous. Your setup is just beautiful. I owned a VPI Aries for nearly 30 years. Loved it. About a year ago I sat on the fence between that model (I have been improving the look as well as sound of my system for the last few years) and a Linn LP12 in rosewood. I chose to go the other way knowing they were both great routes. Congratulations!

Vintage Pete 06-23-2021 04:56 PM

Thank you all for your kind compliments. Although I never really left vinyl, I'm rediscovering it now in a big way. I really love this turntable, cartridge, and phono preamp. I've already begun accessorizing, so stay tuned! :yes: :yes:

jimtranr 06-23-2021 05:15 PM

Extraordinarily well done system, Pete. Especially love your attention to detail. So I'm not surprised you love what you're hearing. Bravo

Vintage Pete 06-24-2021 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtranr (Post 1040324)
Extraordinarily well done system, Pete. Especially love your attention to detail. So I'm not surprised you love what you're hearing. Bravo

Jim....thanks so much. I'm definitely loving it. :yes:

Vintage Pete 06-24-2021 06:24 PM

New homes for the old

When my new VPI Prime Signature was set up, it didn't mean end of life for my faithful Harmon-Kardon T60 turntable, or the platform I made so many years ago.

The turntable is now on duty in my Florida room system. With its Ortofon 2M Black cartridge, its a perfect companion for that system. After 38 years, it is still in nearly mint condition. (The AR-4X speaker you see in the photo is static).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d5f23a3b_b.jpg

The platform that the T60 rested on for so many years has also found a new home-in the kitchen, of all places.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...fa9071bc_b.jpg

hobie1dog 06-24-2021 07:10 PM

Beautiful, let us know if you have any feedback problems as a fellow audio guy has big time feedback problems through his Vpi TT suspension. Mainly when he cranks it up in the 95db range. Its such a large feedback burst that it trips the breaker going to his system.

Vintage Pete 06-24-2021 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobie1dog (Post 1040366)
Beautiful, let us know if you have any feedback problems as a fellow audio guy has big time feedback problems through his Vpi TT suspension. Mainly when he cranks it up in the 95db range. Its such a large feedback burst that it trips the breaker going to his system.

hobiedog1dog.....thanks. There is zero trace of feedback of any kind, even at very high volume levels. It would seem that the isolation feet on the VPI would do a great job on their own; this is really the first I've heard of anyone experiencing an issue. My turntable has a lot going on underneath it, it terms of mass and stability. The wooden system center itself is very robust and stable. Then, there is the very heavy cabinet full of records. On top of that is the new platform, very thick and solid, with isolation feet of its own. Then there is the VPI turntable itself, on top of which there is the Stillpoints LP1 V2 record clamp, with its own vibration removal system.

The only issue I see that can cause any type of disturbance is that I don't yet have the periphery ring, to flatten out records that are seriously warped toward the outside edge. And, that is coming soon.

Taylode 06-25-2021 02:08 AM

Congrats Pete! You’ve assembled a stunning beautiful system and, if I were to ever dip my toe back into vinyl, that would be my choice for a TT as well. Enjoy!

Vintage Pete 06-25-2021 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylode (Post 1040394)
Congrats Pete! You’ve assembled a stunning beautiful system and, if I were to ever dip my toe back into vinyl, that would be my choice for a TT as well. Enjoy!

Dennis....thank you sir! Come on in, the water's fine! :yes:

AVfile 06-27-2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 1040369)
The only issue I see that can cause any type of disturbance is that I don't yet have the periphery ring, to flatten out records that are seriously warped toward the outside edge. And, that is coming soon.

Hello Pete,

I am looking at a demo Prime Sig with gimbal fatboy but just the standard finish. Coming from a somewhat rare walnut HW-19 makes me wish the new one had a wood finish too, like yours!

FYI, my VPI dealer actually recommended against the periphery ring so maybe you’re all set. I tend to think less complexity or steps in the playback process is better also.

Stefan

PS: you can go up to 50 ohms with that cartridge. It will open up the frequency extremes a bit. But reserve final judgment until you’ve got 50 miles (LPs) on it :)

AVfile 06-27-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobie1dog (Post 1040366)

Which TT would that be? Modern VPIs are not suspended and require solid foundations.

Vintage Pete 06-27-2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVfile (Post 1040504)
Hello Pete,

I am looking at a similar Prime Sig with gimbal fatboy but just the standard finish. Coming from a somewhat rare walnut HW-19 makes me wish it had a wood finish like yours!

FYI, my VPI dealer actually recommended against the periphery ring so I think you’re all set. I tend to believe less complexity or steps in the playback process the better.

Stefan

PS: you can go up to 50 ohms with that cartridge. It will open up the frequency extremes a bit. But reserve final judgment until you’ve got 50 miles (LPs) on it :)

AVfile....thanks for this input. I'd be curious as to your dealer's reasoning in recommending against the periphery ring. I can see where it may not be a significant help in some cases, but with others it would seem to make lots of sense. I have a pretty good sized record collection, and its surprising to see how, even on so-called "audiophile" pressings, how serious some of the warpage is! I've paid some pretty good coin for some of these, and I just shake my head looking at the warpage, particularly at the outer edge. It would seem that the cartridge/stylus going for a roller coaster ride can't be very good, both it terms of wear and the introduction of subsonics.

As to the MC loading, I'm still listening at 25 ohms, but I do plan to try it for a while at 50. You've just nudged me a little further toward trying a walk down that path.

AVfile 06-28-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 1040530)
AVfile....thanks for this input. I'd be curious as to your dealer's reasoning in recommending against the periphery ring. I can see where it may not be a significant help in some cases, but with others it would seem to make lots of sense. I have a pretty good sized record collection, and its surprising to see how, even on so-called "audiophile" pressings, how serious some of the warpage is! I've paid some pretty good coin for some of these, and I just shake my head looking at the warpage, particularly at the outer edge. It would seem that the cartridge/stylus going for a roller coaster ride can't be very good, both it terms of wear and the introduction of subsonics.

I didn’t question it as I am not bothered too much by warped records, and happy to save the cost. I use a screw down clamp right now that takes care of 99% of my records and never heard a problem on the rest. It may be more of a problem for unipivot arms (never had one, just guessing).

The other factor for me is knowing that any extra steps added to an already laborious playback process make it that much more of an event, therefore I would be slightly less likely to put on a record and more likely to put on digital.

Masterlu 06-29-2021 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1624980658

Vintage Pete 06-29-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 1040614)

:goodpost: