AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   NR Cables for Source Components with a Conditioner: Why? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=49854)

Craig_B 05-06-2021 02:29 PM

NR Cables for Source Components with a Conditioner: Why?

Brain Trust,

Please explain to me why it is recommended to use NR cables with source components that are connected to a line conditioner? I would have thought an NR cable might be used for a conditioner in that it would cleanup up some noise prior to processing by the conditioner and that XC cables would be use for source components connected to the conditioner - which would be feeding said components cleaner power.

I am new to all of this, so please break it down for me...what am I missing here?

(NOTE: I purchased a Delta NR v2 and a couple Delta XC V2 cables for my McIntosh System: MA9000, MEN220, MCD6000, and MT-5 - all fed by a MPC1500).

Thanks!

SCAudiophile 05-06-2021 03:40 PM

One possible answer is to filter out noise coming back down the line from the component itself.

Another is to compliment the NR capabilities, or lack thereof sufficient degree in the non-specified conditioner.

kennyb123 05-06-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 1037954)
One possible answer is to filter out noise coming back down the line from the component itself.

Yes this is it, I think. The conditioner performs better with less noise dumped onto it. I have heard this myself with the Venom V12 Digital cord making it seem as though my Denali was reducing noise more effectively.

SackATK 05-06-2021 06:41 PM

Last night I watched a 2 hour video of Caelin Gabriel, Shunyata President himself answer a bunch of questions. Although I'm familiar with a lot of Shunyata's design concepts since I became a fanboy a few years back, I still learned some new things. One of the things I learned is that the power cable itself can radiate noise, noise that is generated by the components! So with NR cables, the noise filters are on the end that connect to the components. This should lessen the noise that can travel down the power cable and so less noise can be radiated out by the power cable and this means less interference to nearby interconnects and such.

Puma Cat 05-06-2021 09:29 PM

A quote from Caelin on why NR PCs are required for connecting to components, at the component end:
"The design of a power cable can significantly affect the reactance of these signals within the power supply. The power cable is effectively part of the primary winding of the power transformer. The transition between the various metals used in a power cable and its connectors can cause electromagnetic reflections and diode-like rectification of the noise impulses as they propagate away from the power supply. If the power cable presents a high impedance to these signals they will be reflected back into the power supply where they will intermodulate, thus increasing the high frequency noise levels of the component. Most power supply filters are ineffective at blocking very high frequency noise components and much of it is passed through to the DC rails."

In other words, one of the biggest and most impactful sources of noise in a power distribution system is the power supplies of the components themselves.

The NR filters on the Shunyata PCs prevent this from happening, so that the power distribution chain stays as clean as possible from these noise components.

crion2 05-07-2021 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackATK (Post 1037967)
Last night I watched a 2 hour video of Caelin Gabriel, Shunyata President himself answer a bunch of questions. Although I'm familiar with a lot of Shunyata's design concepts since I became a fanboy a few years back, I still learned some new things. One of the things I learned is that the power cable itself can radiate noise, noise that is generated by the components! So with NR cables, the noise filters are on the end that connect to the components. This should lessen the noise that can travel down the power cable and so less noise can be radiated out by the power cable and this means less interference to nearby interconnects and such.

Do you have a link to this 2 hour video?

Puma Cat 05-07-2021 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crion2 (Post 1037984)
Do you have a link to this 2 hour video?

I think this is what is being referred to: https://youtu.be/MpAsUgv24jc

Craig_B 05-08-2021 10:28 AM

I appreciate the feedback and the link to the video, very informative. I have ordered a few more Delta v2 NR cables that I will use for my components.

SackATK 05-08-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 1037985)
I think this is what is being referred to: https://youtu.be/MpAsUgv24jc

Thanks Puma. And also thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience in various audio forums. It has played a hand in building up my system.

Yes, that's the video I saw. I think it should be stickied.

Puma Cat 05-08-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackATK (Post 1038058)
Thanks Puma. And also thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience in various audio forums. It has played a hand in building up my system.

Yes, that's the video I saw. I think it should be stickied.

Thanks, and cheers. Glad to hear it was informative and helpful to you. :thumbsup: